Spektrum Rx price hike???

mightypeesh

Advert

Yes, we used newspaper in the downstairs lav. The annoying thing was trying to find the rest of the article you were reading amongst the torn up squares

I've always been wary of the 'You get what you pay for' trope. It's the fall-back position for those who are ignorant, which is all of us on some topics and even those of us not so ignorant are driven that way as technology becomes more remote in its design. You only need to look at the prices charged for 'fashionable' goods to appreciate the possibility of rip offs.

I still have a few Multiplex receivers on 35Mhz and still have a Mux3030 in good working order but even that high quality piece of kit let me down twice. Once it didn't work one cold winter's morning and the RF board was replaced FOC by the manufacturer. That didn't cost a model because I wasn't able to fly. On the second occasion I did crash a model because a wire broke off the joy stick. I can't think why it did because there appeared to be excellent stress relief. It took less than an hour for me to repair it and I've had no further trouble. I still use it on the 35Mhz.

I think the kit to watch out for is the blatant copies rather than the advertised compatibles. They certainly have the real potential to be very poor and unreliable. I used several makes of 35Mhz receivers particularly those with DSP (Digital Signal Processing) and never had any problems with them at all.

Geoff

I am afraid I am not with the "if its not genuine Spektrum" it will fail. Reminds me of the old codgers reactions when 2.4 was replacing 35 and it would never be as good. Anybody seen 35 gear being used these days?

I have a Nokia mobile phone connected to the EE network similar to numerous other phone manufactures. Similarly my Spektrum Tx provides a medium which other manufacturers have produced Rx equal to and in some cases better than genuine Spekky, so denigrating them is pointless.

So far I have been delighted with the low cost Rx that have been manufactured to use the Spekky format, whether its a copy or an individual manufacture.

Although I do not have the technical expertise to determine, I compared the Spekky to a clone/comparable Rx and there was not much difference and would have needed quite considerable resources to manufacture. I would ask why would inferior components be used when they are such a small percentage of the total product. If you produce an inferior product that fails you will soon go out of business.

ps My youth was with Izal but, progressed to the softer, botty friendly tissue.

Edited By Hamish on 15/01/2017 22:05:26

Hamish, as I said before, Spektrum, Orange, Lemon, all fine, manufacturers earning a living. But a fake is made by a thief of someone else's reputation, trapping the unwary.

If however you know it fake when you get it, then you join the criminals.

Fake kit is a serious problem in today's world, it kills people in the wrong place, and should not be encouraged in any form.

Does anyone know if Lemon/Orange obtained the Spektrum DSMX protocol specs from Spektrum themselves (in a similar manner to how JR did), or have they had to reverse engineer it?

If its the former, I'd then assume that they could make a perfectly compatible RX. The latter, I am less sure of. Even for the former case, with the lower sale price, that is going to be less budget going on testing. And with electronic protocols, there is compatible - and there is "compatible"...

The difference in cost between a "full range" Lemon 7ch telemetry DSMX (£32) and the current Spektrum 6ch telemetry DSMX AR6600 (£50), is £18 whole pounds. Yes, that's about 30% reduction off the Spektrum price. But, compared to the cost of putting a whole airframe together, it's not that much, and I know where my money goes (and did go). The radio link is a vital bit of the whole RC picture.

For me, anything beyond a small indoor job would get a genuine RX.

YMMV of course.

Posted by SuperNash on 16/01/2017 08:32:35:

Does anyone know if Lemon/Orange obtained the Spektrum DSMX protocol specs from Spektrum themselves (in a similar manner to how JR did), or have they had to reverse engineer it?

If its the former, I'd then assume that they could make a perfectly compatible RX. The latter, I am less sure of. Even for the former case, with the lower sale price, that is going to be less budget going on testing. And with electronic protocols, there is compatible - and there is "compatible"...

No, they are all reverse engineered, but not normally by the manufacturer of the compatible RX - in most cases it is the RC community who have done so, and then donated that information back. Since protocols are not protectable intellectual property there is nothing the manufacturers can do about; in some cases (I am particularly thinking of Futaba FASST) the availability of low cost compatible RXs is the only reason many users have not changed TX brand (and yes, I know numerous people for whom this is the case).

" Since protocols are not protectable intellectual property there is nothing the manufacturers can do about"

As an aside. Reverse engineering is legal (in the US at least). Using that reverse engineering specifically for the purpose of creating a competing 3rd party commercial implementation of a product using that proprietary protocol... Well. In Europe it specifically isn't. Although I imagine there are few people in China who care, and the size of the market for RC gear, we're small beans and unlikely to be worth enough to get the lawyers involved.

Edited By SuperNash on 17/01/2017 08:23:18

Who's to say that the 'compatibles' are not being faked? The counterfeit Spektrum items looked pretty good but with giveaways to look out for. The case mouldings on the couple of Orange RXs that I have (presumably genuine), exhibit manufacturing variations in the plastic material - so not much in the way of a clue there.

"After a few sleepless nights about the use of these Rx does this mean I am not a criminal?"

Just an innocent bystander!

"The counterfeit Spektrum items looked pretty good but with giveaways to look out for."

I bought a £12 AR6210 from a popular auction site, original location a large asian country. I can't tell (externally) the difference. None of the documented giveaways. So who knows - could even be the genuine factory keeping the line going after hours... At that price, its Peckham Spring, no income tax, no guarantee.

Edited By SuperNash on 17/01/2017 10:30:34