Returning after 25 years

Hi everyone, i recently decided to get back into model flying after 25 plus years away, i used to fly at the croydon airport site and was wondering if it is still a public flying site as it would be my prefered place to fly.

Also has anyone else come back after a long time away, and if so is the actual flying side a bit like riding a bike, or am i going to have to learn all over again?I'

After looking at a few mags i realise that things have changed a lot so it looks like a steep leaning curve ahead either way, so would be very grateful of any help and advice, cheers,

Dave.

Advert

Welcome back David. Can't give any advice as to the status of flying at Croydon, but I think you'll find the hobby has changed greatly in certain aspects and depending on your flying preferences 25 years ago, it may well colour your attitude as to how things are now. What are your interests likely to be?

As for the flying..........I suppose it is like riding a bike especially if you were a competent and experienced flyer when you packed up. However, 25 years is a long time away and you'll be bound to feel a bit apprehensive at first, so if you can arrange a few buddy box sessions to get you 'back into the groove' and then build confidence on your own with a not too challenging model, you'll be OK.

A big plus now is internet access and a whole world of info at your fingertips on just about any model flying subject, also the cost of radio/models etc is, relatively speaking, much cheaper than it was in the 1990s.

Welcome back David!

You'll find that many changes have taken place over the last 25 years.

• There are many more ARTF (Almost Ready To Fly) models at every flying site. Many are electric powered and some are made from Elapor foam.
  • 2.4GHz radios are very common these days and should not interfere with anybody else's transmitter.No more waiting for the peg. While some of the old makes still exist like, Futaba, JR and Hitec, many of us use Spectrum radios, the new kid on the block.
  • Small models are increasingly powered by electric motors and large ones by petrol engines which means that good secondhand glow engines are available quite cheaply but glow fuel is becoming more expensive and difficult to find.
  • It's an ageing hobby, and as more of us fly off to that great airfield in the sky, more good secondhand stuff becomes increasingly available. I hope that I don't sound too macarbre. My turn is just a matter of time! wink

Happy Landings!

Hi, I came back after about the same time.

Things are a lot easier, and less messy - Lipos and brushless have replaced my beloved Cox engines, and no more kit building unless you want to do it.

I used to fly at Croydon Club to too, as a member for some years. I think it is now a housing estate.

Welcome back David. Well yes things have changed as previously described but you are not forced to go with any or all of the changes

there is absolutely no reason that you cannot fly the same models,same radio (in fact 35 MHz is even better than it was less wait for the peg )and the same engines, provided they are quiet enough. The really good news is that all kit is,in real terms cheaper than it ever was.

I had a 16 year hiatus. It's like riding a bike. I got some strange stares from the bunch of 2.4Ghz leccy ARTFers the first time I pitched up with my peg board and glow-engined Precedent HiBoy II!

I do agree re the comments about planes either being mainly the small electric or large petrol type. I recently was looking for a nice Cap style plane for a 90 size 4 stroke. The BlackHorse 540v3 91 seems to be like hen's teeth (and when available equally priced). Most seem to be bigger and petrol powered. Or smaller foamies. The "slightly larger than average" weekend aerobat seems to have almost disappeared! At least for glow....

I still have an unused OS10FP from my first journey into r/c flying, it's almost impossible to find anything ARTF to put it in now! It's a good thing plans are available from back in the day!

PS I don't have anything against electric flight, I'm just love the smell of glow fuel in the morning!

Edited By Ben B on 27/04/2016 16:14:37

When I came back to it , over 30 years had passed , and with age ,my reactions were not the same as they were .

What made a great difference was when 2.4ghz . came along and I switched from my Futaba Skyport 4 transmitter to a 6 E.X .

This now had dual rates and exponential .By suitable choice of these functions I am able to quiet things down and compensate for my over controlling and erratic reactions ( some people may call this panic) .

Welcome back .

Thanks guys for all the comments and encouragement,im itching to get flying again now, i have got myself a nice shiny 2.4 ghz computer radio and trying to decide what would be agood model to get me back flying, im intending to jump straight back in with something aerobatic but will start off with low rates and see how it goes.

I am amazed at the amount of artf and rtf models now as they were relatively rare when i was flying also electrics were quite basic and to be honest a little bit rubbish, but they look pretty good now.

The thing i am happy about is the petrol engines, im a bit ocd about anything sticky so glow fuel used to drive me insane, i do prefere to build my own models and seeing as I'm into golden age racers which dont seem too common i rtf stuff so I guess it will be plans and balsa bashing for me 😊 and that suits me fine.

Although i did see a rather sexy rtf biplane for a 62cc petrol engine that for some reason ikeep looking at, mmmmmmmmm.............

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 28/04/2016 21:09:50

Hi David,

The CAMFC is certainly alive and kicking, I'm a member of the Caterham Club and we will be having our first inter-club funfly competition at their Ficklshole field this Sunday (starting at midday). Looking forward to the flying, friendship and possibly wetting myself with mirth at some of the crazy antics that will be going on in the name of friendly rivalry!

Shaunie.

Yes, you can definitely fly at Croydon.

It is a public flying space with a pair of runways cut by volunteers.

Flying times are in the By-Laws, but from memory most weekdays are available.

Being of working age I only have the weekends free which is limited to 1st and 3rd w/e in the month.

There is folk law opinion that the restruictions only apply to IC power but that is not how the I read the By-Laws.

There is also a space in nearby Beddington Park, however I haven'e identified the area or visited to see if it is still used/useable.

I will see if I can dig out the times and/or a link.

I have this info on my facebook page so I have it to hand, but I will see if I can find the link. They do bury the info quite well.

land known as Roundshaw playing field
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9am to 1pm
Tuesday 9am to 7pm (or sunset, whichever is earlier)
1st and 3rd Saturday & Sunday 9am to 1pm

Any other Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holiday or Christmas Day No Flying

IC to have a silencer acheiving 82dB (A) at 7metres, unless it is not po

Please ignore my reference to Beddington park; the bylaws state that is for control line only.