Purple Haze Plan Wanted

Hi,

I used to have an IC version of an old plane called a Purple Haze from a plan back in the 70's /80's I believe. It was a pocket rocket of a plane that gave me hours of fun over countless flights, till I went across the strip at full chat inverted and hit up elevator when I should've hit down. That was a good number of years ago.

I'd love to build another one but can't seem to find a plan. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or does anyone still have a plan knocking around that I could photocopy?

Edited By Mannyroad on 20/05/2016 23:08:13

The Purple Haze was a very popular model in our club in the late 70s, designed by one of our members, a certain Rob Millinship. The original used a Jedelsky-style wing but was replaced by veneered foam when kitted by Peacock Models.

I'll ask around at our next club meeting and see if anyone still has a copy of the plan.

incidentally, another of Rob's designs kitted by Peacock Models was the Azure Lady. The original name "Shy Talk" was not deemed suitable for some reason!

Posted by Nick Cripps on 22/05/2016 13:01:04:

The Purple Haze was a very popular model in our club in the late 70s, designed by one of our members, a certain Rob Millinship. The original used a Jedelsky-style wing but was replaced by veneered foam when kitted by Peacock Models.

I'll ask around at our next club meeting and see if anyone still has a copy of the plan.

incidentally, another of Rob's designs kitted by Peacock Models was the Azure Lady. The original name "Shy Talk" was not deemed suitable for some reason!

Purple Haze was Ian Peacock's design for club 20, name from his wife who appeared in the ads for it. A Jedelsky wing is a simple all balsa undercambered arrangement not suitable for a pylon racer, or any fast flyer.

IIRC Rob Millinship's designs were scale models. I could be wrong but I remember the Azure Lady as a glider & I don't think it was kitted by Ian Peacock.

Pat,

The Purple Haze was designed as a fun sports model not initially as a pylon racer. The wing used a Jedelsky-style design with a thick LE and thinner sheet TE section with elongated triangular ribs underneath to give support for the covering and hence a more recognisable wing section. Most found it more convenient to build it with a foam wing though and that was the version kitted.

The Azure Lady was indeeed a glider, as were a few other of Rob's designs. He did also design the cartoon scale warbirds that were later kitted by Roger Halton. They're probably the original Fun-Fighters before the name was adopted elsewhere...

I attended Sywell in around 1976 with Rob where the Azure Lady was demonstrated for Peacock Models. The towman, Jeff Clifton, apologised after the 1st launch saying he'd had to release the model early when he'd got halfway across the runway and saw a full-size Islander bearing down on him!

Apologies for going off-topic a bit, the memories are coming back (hopefully correctly).

Posted by Percy Verance on 21/05/2016 10:07:44:

Designed by Ian Peacock I believe........and yes Manny, a kit was available for a while. I think I'm correct in saying it was the Purple Haze which sort of started the Club 20 racer craze.......

Boddo was credited with the idea of Club 20 racing as a simplified pylon racing class powered by a stock, non-tuned engine from a specified selection. He launched it with his own designs Hot 20 & Intro.
IIRC, Ian's Purple Haze was billed as a simplified semi competitive Club 20 starter model, might even have been rudder, elevator only. It was followed up by Electric Haze - brushed 600 motor & nicad power.

My humble apologies to Pat and, especially, Ian Peacock.

I have been corresponding with a clubmate about the Purple Haze who sent me the following reply: "I remember the model. It was designed by a friend of Millo's and named after his wife Hazel. A small high wing model but very nippy and aerobatic."

In my defence I was but a spotty-faced teenager in the 70s, just started in aeromodelling. Rob was a prolific designer and builder in those days and, as he was a keen promoter of the Purple Haze within the Long Eaton club, I just assumed it was one of his.

Ah well, you learn something new every day in this game...

If you refer to Radio Modeller January 1986 you will see the full explanation of how the Purple Haze came about and how it was modified to become Electric Haze. Reduced dihedral, strip ailerons and lighter wing construction ( its built up balsa ) seem the main things. The photo shows both Purple haze & Electric Haze side by side. Fuselage appears a trifle slimmer on electric.

As I said yesterday Electric Haze is a plan and still available, while I am pretty sure Purple Haze was a kit only.  Presumably the Electric Haze plan could be modified back to use a 0.15  glow but why would you want to bother now electric is so easy!

Edited By kc on 25/05/2016 10:22:15

WOW! I was quite shocked to return from my hols yesterday to see so many replies. Many thanks for all your comments and input. A friend has pointed me in the direction of Derick Scott at [email protected] who is supplying me with a plan, so hopefully it won't belong before there's another Purple Haze screaming above the fields of Lancashire once again. As it should be. As I recall, I had a 0.25 in mine back then, and it kept you on your toes.

Just need to figure the cheapest place to get some foam cores cut. Any suggestions?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi, my dad was Ian Peacock and I have the purple haze and electric haze in the shed, might even be able to find a plan. There was also a biplane, the lemon twist, a glider, the azure lady and a pylon racer, the miss tangerine. I have a mint kit of the miss tangerine, must be over 40 years old.

Hi Kevin,

I met your dad once (through the Nene Valley Aero club) and had an enjoyable visit to his house to look at the two "Haze" models. Derick Scott (www.model-plans.co.uk) has some of your Dad's plans listed: Purple Haze, Miss Tangerine, Lemon Twist (biplane).

I think Bootlace is very similar to Miss Tangerine (with built-up instead of foam wing), listed by Sarik Hobbies. Sarik have  a few other Peacock plans, though I cannot spot the old RCME dogfight double Spitfire/ME109. Your dad still had the original RCME edition with that.

Ref the mint kit you have, that was listed on ebay which I bid for, but your dad out-bid me for one of his own kits!!

Regards, Jonathan

The Azure Lady glider was my brother's first R/C model. He bought it secondhand from Concorde Models in Aldershot.  As I recall the wing had a fully sheeted top surface and open structure underside.  My Dad started modifying it (widening the front)  to take the Futaba 1+1 gear we had, but b y the ime he had done that my brother had bought some OS Cougar airborne gear and a homemade transmitter, so it was flown with that instead.

On 21/05/2016 at 00:06, Mannyroad said:

Hi,

I used to have an IC version of an old plane called a Purple Haze from a plan back in the 70's /80's I believe. It was a pocket rocket of a plane that gave me hours of fun over countless flights, till I went across the strip at full chat inverted and hit up elevator when I should've hit down. That was a good number of years ago.

I'd love to build another one but can't seem to find a plan. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or does anyone still have a plan knocking around that I could photocopy?

Edited By Mannyroad on 20/05/2016 23:08:13

I have the plan of the electric Haze if you were interested