35 Mhz vs 2.4 Ghz

BB

Advert

Not for a good while Bas' and for me at least.

I've got 6  x 2.4GHz receivers but 6-8 35MHz receivers. The 2.4 ones go in higher powered electric models where they remove the spikes or glitches you tend to see with a standard 35MHz PPm unit and the 35MHz receivers go in i.c. models or less demanding electric models. The 35MHz units work well enough so I'll keep using them for the forseeable future.

Well actually no ( PS I think you mean 2.4 not 2.5 dont you Ron ) - I beleive the newer 2.4Ghz stuff is excellent VFM - take the newish DX6i for example....available with a full range DSM2 6 channel receiver for under a £100 - remarkable I think. People often forget when "comparing" that a good 35 Mhz receiver, which can offer the nearest thing to the glitch free operation of the 2.4 Ghz brigade is not exactly cheap. An MPX IPD synth albeit 9 channel is £99 alone. The futaba 7 channel PCM is around 45 quid, and then you need a crystal as well for that one. Spektrum 2.4 6 channel full range recvrs are are now available at £44 - possibly less if you shop around, and so called park fly range ones at £35 - all with totally glitch free operation, neat little aerials, and the sheer simplicity and joy of "switch on and fly" operation.

I disagree with David - he may well have insider information on sales etc that I dont have, but I think the demise of 35Mhz is but a few short years away - sure there will always be a few 35Mhz sets around, just as there are vintage cars - but mainstream - 2.4Ghz is here now big style. I was the first user in our club almost 2 years ago, and now I have lost count of the members with 2.4G - many of whom were the die hard sceptics in the early days... I just wear a wery smiloe as I see them switch on and go fly, then listen to them telling everyone how good it is, and how they have never had any glitching since fiting it etc. As prices continue to fall ( which sales volume will dictate they do ) doubt in the remaining sceptics fades, and show pilots like Al and others are continually seen using it, 35 Mhz will suffer the same fate as the other dinasours - only this wont take 5 million years, more like 5.

I sound more and more like a Spektrum fan each day

I know 2.4 is the new boy in town , but I went 2.4  (DX7) as I have now gone all electric, and as David stated, it removes the fear of unwanted glitches. I'm sure that 35meg will be around for many years yet.

As for prices we shouldn't  have any moans these days.The range on offer is collossal and should suit all pockets, in fact in real terms the cost is only a fraction of what it was, considering in the late 60's, early 70's one single servo cost about a weeks wage, well it did if you worked as a postman (GPO) .

Tim and Bas'

It depends what you mean by 'demise' I guess - retailers to stop selling it or users to stop using it. The latter won't happen for very many years yet we may reach a point where the balance is tipped and distributors wont see the need to supply 35MHz gear - I think that's also still a few years away yet.

Interesting that Macgregor have the new JR '12' on the way and at first in dedicated 2.4 guise yet a dedicated 35MHz version will still follow.  

Thanks for the indepth responses.  Much appreciated.  I guess at this moment in time I won't worry too much or rush to purchse just yet.

Im also aware that the BMFA recently sent a delegation to the European Parliment as a communication company has submitted an appeal to have 2.4Ghz for sole use of the communications networks.  Though the likely hood of the appeal being successful is in reality very small.  It does beg the question;  How secure is 2.4Ghz for the model flyer in the future ?

I am not so sure this "line of sight " thing actually pans out in the real world. I have often tested my Spekky system in and around the workshop / house / garden area, and retained full control - albeit at short range - whilst OOS behind brick walls and neighbours houses etc. Recently, 3 members at our club put a model with an observer inside an aluminium trailer, closed the door and found they still had full control - even with range button pushed - at a very respectable distance. I have also found myself occasionally flying below the ridge on the Orme - with the model completely out of my sight for several seconds, and a bit of stick stirrring in the presumed correct direction has seen her pop back up into sight and flying perfectly normally.

As the yanks would say....go figure

Hi Ron.... yes its tried and tested ( as far as 2.4G can be ) and yes its the entry level set.Full range, 6 channel, 10 model memory ( I think ) 3 free mixes, and the usual whistle and bells for this level set. Quite afew clubmates have them and they seem fine for an entry level set.

£240 is for the DX7 full set with 4 x digital servos and the twin receiver AR7000 unit.

Its very wet and miserable...but I am off darn sarf ntil Sunday night anyway so no flyijng ( unless I have a quick session in the back field of the place where we are staying  - sneaked the foamy delta in the boot when the wife wasnt looking !

Well if anyone has a glich 'n crunch whilst using a Pootaba Tx.  They will be able to blame it on a wrong coded set .  Problem there being you then have to spend an hour at home in the shed with the missus French polish and a tea-towel cleaning the thing.  So when you next over the patch you can show everyone your newly exchanged Tx.