MEGA-GIANT 55% Yak 54 MULTIPLE SMOKES

Advert

Yes, couldn't agree more Matt - every time I see a model like this display at a public show I wonder if they are really necessary. Steve has lost at least two, one to a rudder lock causing it to spin in and another to flutter causing structural failure. Apparently the latter was caused by the fitting of only one monster servo per aileron on a 60% model - there must have been some interesting conversations between Steve and the LMA after that one...

Edited By MattyB on 29/05/2016 23:17:58

Yup and I saw both of those happen. I don't think it's up to us to limit what an individual does in the hobby as long as they do it safely...and I think he does that having talked to him a bit and watch him setup and operate these models. Everyone of us in this hobby has made a mistake in build or flying that has resulted in a loss and that's no different for Steve. The difference with this guy is that not a lot obviously puts him down. He has an ambition to fly a big model like this at shows and entertain. 99% of people on this path would have given up long ago.

Posted by Dom (Essential RC) on 30/05/2016 06:36:52:

Yup and I saw both of those happen. I don't think it's up to us to limit what an individual does in the hobby as long as they do it safely...and I think he does that having talked to him a bit and watch him setup and operate these models. Everyone of us in this hobby has made a mistake in build or flying that has resulted in a loss and that's no different for Steve.

It is not for us as BMFA members or forumites certainly, but in the current climate all of us should be concerned about anything that could impact our future access to fly. I think we can all agree that a) models like this are hugely complex with a lot more to go wrong than the average club model, and b) if something does go wrong the potential for injuries is much higher with something so big and heavy. For these reasons the fact that Steve has lost at least 2 and I believe 3 models of this size that must have passed all the LMA checks to fly does worry me.

I have no issues with models like this existing for use at clubs with the appropriate facilities, but no longer believe there is any need for them to be publically displayed – the impact of a crash where one of these ended up in the crowd would be catastrophic to the people involved and the hobby in the UK (see the effect of Shoreham on the full sized shows) . Besides, personally I don’t find them any more impressive than a well flown 30% aerobat which is still plenty big enough to be visible to a crowd, but can also be flown more aggressively due to it’s increased strength and the fact the pilot is not as worried about its extreme size and value.

Edited By MattyB on 31/05/2016 12:07:26

That's why the flight line safety distance is in place , niether of the incidents you have linked to caused any injuries? I would think it far more dangerous coming down off that high horse of yours.

If you don't feel comfortable then don't go ??

Posted by Justin K. on 31/05/2016 12:21:31:

That's why the flight line safety distance is in place , neither of the incidents you have linked to caused any injuries? I would think it far more dangerous coming down off that high horse of yours.

If you don't feel comfortable then don't go ??

When attending a large show last year (my first for around 3 years I think) I saw several of these huge models displayed, one of which was Steve's. Whilst I do not doubt that the flight line separation distance was in compliance with the regs there were a number of moments where had a mechanical failure occurred with one of these very large models I am not 100% certain the pilot (not Steve in this instance, he appeared to allow extra distance) would have been able to avoid a crash into the pit area or possibly beyond. One model in particular (again not Steve's) was flown in a manner that looked to me that he did not have it completely "under his thumbs" at all times.

During these displays I did move back from the flightline, but it was not concern for my own personal safety that motivated the post above. This is just a question of risk:reward ration; yes the chances of an accident are probably very low, but if one did occur (even everything was being done "by the book" ) the newspapers would have a field day and it could have very wide ranging implications not just for display flying but the operation of any model in the UK.

Edited By MattyB on 31/05/2016 13:59:51

Justin, not sure the personal attack on MattyB is necessary, he's put forward a reasoned and non-inflammatory argument and has been clear it's his view and has not tried to deliberately stir the hornets nest.

I on the other hand will be more forthright. Steve's lost 2 (3?) of these large models, I simply don't think he should be allowed to build and fly them anymore.

Posted by Justin K. on 31/05/2016 14:28:26:

..Also maybe check some of the environment health food handling safety certification from the catering vendors??

Eh?

Anyway, I think both of those crashes were rather lucky in their failures. A degree or two either way at height could have been nasty for the crowd or the airfield.

Posted by Justin K. on 31/05/2016 14:28:26:

Maybe you should introduce yourself to the organisers & safety officers at the next show and give them the benefit of your knowledge??

Also maybe check some of the environment health food handling safety certification from the catering vendors??

Or maybe in all seriousness just stay at home ? I'm sorry but questioning the ability of someone at a far higher ability level than you will ever achieve is just beyond a joke

Wow, you have really taken that "friendly forum" moniker to heart I see... sarcastic

Sorry, but we all express opinions about individuals who are at a "far higher ability level" smile p than us every day (and how do you know what and how I fly anyway?). I am not a qualified weather forecaster, F1 driver, cricketer or footballer, but we can all still tell when one of the highly paid and expert proponents of these arts goofs up, and we all comment and on occasion criticise as a result. And what is wrong with that? It's just free speech, and it can be healthy to challenge the accepted status quo even if you aren't an active participant in that field. Case in point - one of the guys who taught me to fly full size gliders had thousands of hours of experience and was a world class pilot, but was known for pushing the limits of safe flying on occasion in competitions. No-one ever challenged him though because of his expert status. He sadly died in a preventable accident, pushing the boundaries on a regulation pleasure flight.

Anyway, the above posts on these extremely large models are my view which I am allowed to express here irrelevant of my "ability level". You do not have to agree with them, but you should not personally attack me for them. Over and out.

Edited By MattyB on 31/05/2016 16:11:43

Its not a personal attack at all , just noting an attitude that thinks it's wiser than the powers that be. If your that concerned Matt get involved, don't just snipe at someone on a public forum.

Keep up the good work Dom , over and indeed out. 

Edited By Justin K. on 31/05/2016 16:32:23

Posted by Andy Meade on 31/05/2016 16:34:14:

Yes Matty don't snipe. Like telling someone to get off their high horse / telling someone to inspect the certification of the food vendors etc. That would be awful of you.

Don't forget my "uneducated nose" which was apparently stuck in where it wasn't wanted. Or was that Joe Public's nose? I'm not quite sure. Who nose...

Nice vid as always Dom, now this one "dont impress me much"...IMO, it is another example of where "shock and awe, or wow factor" is replacing skill.....Me...I'd much rather see a model we can all relate to being flown extremely well.. but then again, thats not dissing the fella who flys this...as each to their own.

On the safety thing, i dont think on paper this is more or less safe than owt else. Only incident I ever saw was during one of the mass weston tigershark things where one came down like a missile into the pits as the lad had lost sight/flew the wrong one....to me this was more of a potential hazard than a giant thing like this, at least everyone can see it!!!!...

I think the shows in general are run very well flying wise....and it would be a shame to enforce more regs on them, as soon there wouldnt be much you could see, too big, too fast, to many...etc...

100% with you mattyb. the voice of the people! 

Your entitled to an opinion and maybe if 'others' don't like what they read,  they can follow there own wise words and not respond to the thread. 

As for the model, its damn huge and frankly full size in terms of ability and risk. id rather modelling went back to its more humbler roots and not along the lines of watching this type of modelling. 

Edited By Cabbage Man on 31/05/2016 18:15:20

Go careful Bert or you will unleash the wrath of the matty gang who will twist your words in an attempt to make your post into a "personal attack" on matty.

So matty , in this statement you would like to see the end of the LMA doing any public displays / shows ??

I have no issues with models like this existing for use at clubs with the appropriate facilities, but no longer believe there is any need for them to be publically displayed – the impact of a crash where one of these ended up in the crowd would be catastrophic to the people involved and the hobby in the UK

Edited By Justin K. on 31/05/2016 20:22:57

A bit late to the party but I have to agree that some comments have been rather more discourteous than we would expect from users who have been here long enough to know better.

Before you post, just ask yourself if you'd want to be on the receiving end of similar comments?

It is possible to put your side of an argument without sniping, you know.....

Pete