HELP! Ryobi 4st engine problem.

Piers Bowlan

Sorry, not aircraft related but I wondered if one of you engine buffs out there can help me with a problem with this engine, it's is in a four year old strimmer. It fires OK and, with the choke out, will start and give a short burst before dieing. After a bit of perseverance it keeps running with the choke out - then dies. After several attempts, presumably when it has warmed up a bit it will run rather lumpily with the choke in, but any attempt to open the throttle will cause it to instantly die. It seems like it is a fuel starvation problem, so is it is getting a lean cut when I open the throttle? It may well have some fuel residue clogging up the carb as a result of the winter lay off but is stripping the carb down with some carb cleaner the only thing to do now? Should I try something else first? What else should I check. I did clean the air filter by the way. All suggestions gratefully received.

Have you tried new fresh fuel? as you said been laid up and with all the ethanol in the petrol can cause problems.

If you got a new spark plug at hand try that first , then i would get some B3C mechanic in a bottle

use as directed .

for general use get some B3C Ethanol Shield Fuel Stabilizer for long laups or or use thier two stroke oil like from here they do a smaler bottle as well

Not sure what brand of carby is fitted but the symptoms suggest that the metering diaphragm has hardened. If it is a Walbro style of carby the diaphragm is easy to replace as it is under the metal cover that is held on by 4 Philip head screws.

Shep, yes the carb is secure but it would have been a nice simple fix if that had been the cause. Thank you Flight1, B3C Mechanic is on order with Amazon as it looks like good stuff. I will let you know how it goes. John, I have watched several videos, so I am now a Ryobi expert - I hope! I am about to strip the carby down and hope to find some foreign objects causing an obstruction which again would be a simple fix. I will probably need to get a new gasget set so replacing the diaphragm at the same time would be sensible Subalib, so thanks for that. I noticed the priming bulb reluctant to fill with fuel and prime so I will be checking the fuel lines, tank and filter for leaks. Thank you one and all, I will keep you informed...

I had a Ryobi strimmer. Basically it was cr**. It was very very susceptible to the wrong fuel oil mixture. It needed to be exactly right otherwise I got the same problems as the OP. Eventually replaced it with a Titan one from Screwfix, which runs a dream and has a super starter system on it.

The fuel filter/clunk is felt filter and these can clogg with congealed oil . fit a new one first . Next look at changing carb diaphragm and filters. These don't last more than a couple of years usually and with the modern fuel seem to fail even more frequently. Fresh fuel with decent oil will also help. No need for expensive synthetic oil . Autolube two stroke from most supermarkets is a decent oil and is only £2 for half a litre from Morrison's. Spark plug should be oknas it is starting but if when you get it started it misfires when you rev it replacecthe plug. Provided the engine is mechanically sound these measures should get it up and running.