Dave Smith Models

Adam Colins 2

Well, those of you who have been to retro meetings will have seen my 2m, YS110 powered, the standard sized YS 63 powered and the OS 25 FX powered 48" versions of these. The 60 size has a Dave Smith wing (which must be at least 35 years old, the wing core I mean), and a stretched fus. and may be willing to part with it. All have the correct fin shape.

Amazingly these all fly the same with very little mixing if any.

Steve, what size do you intend the `baby` to be?

Do you still make wing cores? My 2m model (16 years old) nearly died recently when the nose fell off and the wings started to break up due to old age. Now repaired. It is by far my favourite model. It has been flown to death and is rather better than the Curare. Just wish that I had one when I was flying comps.

Cannot be bothered now to buy more foam and cut my own cores but this thing could easily outlast me!

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 21/06/2016 21:35:55:

Martyn,

I cannot see how they could have described those as a Dalotel. They fly quite well though.

I agree, nothing like the Dm-165 and I haven't been able to find anything else similar.

Peter Miller did a plan for Traplet for 40 sized 2 stroke, I have considered scaling that up for a 90FS or perhaps even larger. It would make a good candidate but still not the original used by Hanno.

Cant find a plan for that anywhere - been looking for one for ages

Martyn

There was this model - which was 1750mm span.

However, it looks rather 'stretched'...

And there was this 'official' Prettner Circus Circus (original name for ToC IIRC) - reduced from the 2m version that Hanno used

Plans for the very large HP 1/4 scale DM165 appear occasionally on auction sites - but not very often.

Martyn

My original plan was kindly sent to me by a guy named Joe Suddes who I stayed with in South Africa. I do not know the origin of this but it was designed for a geared down Rossi 60. The plans got left in a barn when I lived in Devon but I was able to recover them. They were then worse than the Dead Sea Scrolls but the outline is very simple and I managed to reproduce it bit by bit. A friend was going to convert them to a PDF but he lost interest.

I had previously built two of these, being powered by a ST 60 RE, the same as my Curare and it was an ideal set up. The first lasted nine years until the wing gave up and the second one rather less.

When I resumed the hobby after a layoff I built the 2m version for an OS 91FX but it was considerably under powered and got chucked in the loft until I got a YS 110. Brilliant with that and it is still my favourite model by far.

I did build another with an OS 91 FS and spent a very long time on the finish. It lasted all of two minutes when the battery pack slipped back and unplugged itself. You live and learn. I vowed never to make another but of course I did so and am now on the third generation of the 25 powered one which you have seen, plus the stretched 60 size.

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I had a DSM Joker many years ago, and always fancied the smaller Dalotel,originally called the Super Sport, later re-christened the Baby Sport, IIRC.

I still have a Contact 140 hanging up in the garage which was originally powered with an OS 70 Surpass 4-stroke, which flew it OK but was a bit boring for my taste....

I have since given that 4 stoke away, and am considering re-visiting the Contact, with a new firewall to accept a 2 stroke.

Question is, which engine to use?

I was considering an Irvine 53, I have, unrun, but would that be man enough???

I also have a Thunder Tiger PRO 61 available.........

Any thoughts?

Edited By TIM Shaw on 10/10/2016 12:40:39

I had an OS46FX in my Contact 140. It flew OK with the standard silencer but better with a JE Purple tuned pipe. However my FX46 developed the dreaded detachable cylinder liner syndrome OS engines were prone to as well suffering flooding through being inverted. I bought and fitted the a JE piston and cylinder but was never really happy with it. I had a mid-air with another similar sized aerobat when we were were the only 2 flying I managed to get a new wing from DSM and it flew again.

I think the Contact was intended for a 46 sized engine with tuned pipe so I guess either the Irvine or the Thunder Tiger should be enough. If I resurrected mine it would be electric. The struggle with the FX46 was one of the reasons I've moved to electric almost exclusively.

Geoff

I have a d s m contact 140 it has a rossi 40 in it and the mini pipe it came with, really I should put a tuned pipe on it but it flys okish needs a dose of trimming just getting round to it, I also have a joker with a webra speed 61 re piped motor goes like the xxxx off a shovel its on 35 meg never changed it to 2.4 flys as if on rails lovely

So.. Can you tell what it is yet?

I admit there are a couple of very big clues.....

Went with the Irvine 53, 11x7 APC prop and Duraglow 10.

Turning at around 11,500 static, peaking out a tad with the nose lifted.

Transformed from the old 4 stroke days, this is a peach to fly. Tracks really well, minimal coupling, and unlimited vertical

Some plumbing issues on the fuel department necessitated some minor surgery this evening, but hopefully it should be properly on song for tomorrows autumn local fly-in.

Reading back through the forum though, does this qualify as a pre 86 design?

20161015_164739.jpg

20161015_164756.jpg

Edited By TIM Shaw on 15/10/2016 23:57:32