Plane ditches at Herne Bay airshow

kc

Several quite good videos online of this incident and the rescue of the pilot by bystanders. BBC video is here

The Guardian online has a better quality version.   KentOnline has further detailed photos of the plane and pilot after rescue

Seems to be Turbulent G-ARNZ

It is clear that not only did the people nearby rescue the pilot but also pulled the plane out of the sea and rescued it too. Excellent effort by the rescuers, lets hope they get some recognition for their prompt actions.

Edited By kc on 15/08/2016 17:54:37

Advert

I thought the pilot did an excellent job! An almost perfect 3-pointer close to the shore. Very well done to the bystanders, as I imagine that even in the waist-deep water, the pilot could quickly have drowned had it not been for their actions in uprighting the 'plane.

I'm guessing it was an engine failure of some kind, as the pilot appeared to be in full control otherwise.

I don't see why this should cause any concern for airshow safety. Everything seems to have worked as it should, and a brilliant response from the spectators.

--

Pete

Posted by Colin Carpenter on 15/08/2016 18:13:05:

Excellent outcome and well done to his rescuers. They were there in an instant ! Sounded like it was firing on 1 ! Glad he was close to the beach. I fear , however , another nail in the coffin for air shows. Colin

I think this should be seen as a validation of airshow safety. There was a mechanical failure of an aircraft, an emergency forced landing in the water with no injury to any spectator and the pilot himself was then saved by those spectators who, fortunately, were close enough to help. Luckily the turbulent is light enough to flip over, but still, Imagine if those people who waded in to help were hundreds of meters away and unable to assist?

Great job all round. I hope pilot and aircraft are back in the air soon as I really enjoy their displays

Wouldn't it be nice to see the main rescuers getting an award some time soon? The first person to reach the plane was named as Mr Cox by Kentonline. An extremely quick reaction by him probably saved the pilot from drowning.

People like that who just react to an emergancy are the people who should be invited to the Palace garden parties and rewarded in the honours list not these overpaid so called 'celebrities' who usually appear. Strip the knighthoods from the undeserving and give the honours to the deserving! 

Edited By kc on 16/08/2016 18:15:17