Wire tricycle undercart.

i have recently bought a deuces wild airframe whitch has been kitted out for electric flight,however the last owner also meant to fit retracts,so removed the wire undercart and binned it

this plane has never flown, so im wondering if anyone has done this and saved the undercart and would be preparted to part with this tricicle set

i would be happy to pay within reason,it would be a shame if this airframe never took to the air.

i would also be prepared to part with it for a fair offer

Regards

Bernard.

Advert

Posted by Martin Harris on 19/08/2016 11:18:26:

Length of piano wire and a vice?

We never did anything else, back in the day smiley

If this were me I'd bend up the main legs myself, and buy a coil sprung noseleg - there's bound to be one that's close enough to do the job from the plethora available in LMS's and on the net

Posted by IanN on 19/08/2016 12:23:11:
Posted by Martin Harris on 19/08/2016 11:18:26:

Length of piano wire and a vice?

We never did anything else, back in the day smiley

If this were me I'd bend up the main legs myself, and buy a coil sprung noseleg - there's bound to be one that's close enough to do the job from the plethora available in LMS's and on the net

yes The obvious answer.

..Bending a piano wire u/c is the obvious thing to do. Bending a front leg with a coil incorporated is possible with a wire bender. But is a front leg with coil really needed? What about a front leg without the coil? I suppose it depends a bit on flying skills and the state of your landing strip but I reckon a front leg could be OK without a coil. Anybody tried that?

J Perkins list ready made U/c including a coil  type front leg if you do need to buy one

Edited By kc on 19/08/2016 12:53:35

Yes you can buy the nose wheel - with a coil. Then buy 1m of piano wire and bend with the help of a vice and a hammer! You will need a cutting disc in a Dremel or similar to cut it - you won't cut it with a hacksaw - well not this side of Christmas! Remember to wear protective glasses or similar when cutting it!

A wire bender is nice to have - I love mine - but not essentail for a simple U/C like this. All that will be much easier, and more likely to succeed, than tryon to get a pukka replacement.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/08/2016 13:19:06

Piano wire can also be cut with a file. Just notch both sides with a triangular file or even the corner of a square file ( must be sharp not worn ) You can cut all the way through with the file from both sides or just cut part way and place in a vice and hit with a hammer.