Southern Model Show 2016

I see the Southern Model Show is on again 11-12 September. Anyone know whether there will be much of a trade presence there this year? Some reported it "thin" last year. Will this year be better or worse in respect of RC aircraft trade stands.

Also who will be flying and will there be WW1 and WW2 planes and scale models or just the 3D planes/helis which seem so prevalent these days.?

Advert

The website does appear woefully short on actual details. Are they actually trying to sell this event or what? The closest to any details are wishy-washy statements like "a stunning array of model aircraft, helicopters, ships, tank and other vehicles. " and "The flying programme will be exciting and varied, illustrating the full range of model flying in the UK and Europe".

This is my most local show and at the moment nothing is inspiring me to attend. I used to really enjoy its pre-decessor at the Hop Farm, but the two times I've been to Headcorn have been disappointing - though to be fair the weather played a significant part in that.

I see the show is "in partnership with RCME magazine". Should there not be some promotion of the event on here? If it hadn't been for this thread I'd probably not even have remembered it was on - and it's only 2 weeks away...

John,

I asked the question here exactly because the event is "in partnership with RCME magazine" and I was therefore hoping someone from editorial team or Maidstone MFC would be able to give some more info. Graham Ashby flies there I think?

Hopefully we will get some response soon so we can make an informed choice about attending. Which traders will be attending? What models are lined up to fly? Are all the planned attractions going to happen? If any one has up to date information or details perhaps they can let us know.

Yes, they do seem to have claimed the show is in partnership with RCME although, it isn't.

We were going to sponsor the appearance of the Extra Duo team last year but they didn't make an appearance and the show organisers seem to have repeated their advertising and website banners for 2016 without reference to us. We did consider having a stall at the event this year but resourcing problems prevented this. 

So, just to reiterate, RCME has no involvement.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 28/08/2016 07:24:56

Thanks for clarifying that David.

It's been a rather 'thin' year for me for shows/events. Blackbushe was cancelled, the Nats (as a central event) was cancelled and it looks dubious whether the trip to Headcorn will be worthwhile on the basis of the (lack of) information about it so far...

At least I went to Wings n Wheels, and the SEBMFA Electric fly-in.

I take it there must be a format for Model airshow adverts then.

Perhaps the originaol poster could get in contact with organisers and find out for us all. what and who will be attending.

Question, If you make a special trip to see a advertised item and that pearson fails to turn up would you want your ticket money back.

The Blackbushe show in the past published a flying schedule in advance, and other shows as I recall have as a minimum stated who/what they expect to be flying. Similarly (or even more so) at full-size shows they will publish a list of what aircraft are expected and maybe an approximate schedule.

But obviously with both full-size and model events sometimes unexpected things happen or the weather is bad and something/somebody you hoped for cannot fly. That is to be expected and I think it would be unreasonable for anybody to expect a refund just because one 'star' flyer or aircraft was unable to fly due to unanticipated problems.

What would be really helpful in making a decision about whether to go to the show or not would be up to the minute details of the event. Currently their website has only vague information and some of it is inaccurate as we now know there is no RCM&E involvement. It does nor say what traders will be attending.

I will try to contact the organisers. If I do ,an age to find out anything , and I am not that hopeful, I will post details on here. It is the show the most local to me and it would be great if it was a good event to go to. However, maybe the era of the big model shows is drawing to a close?

I had a swift reply from Simon Potter who is the flight line director for the show. His response is quoted below. He has also contacted the organisers regarding the traders who will be attending. Will post the details if I hear anything
David

Although I am not able to comment on what traders will be there this year ( I am running the flight line) I can tell you that we have over 60 pilots booked. Many of the usual suspects including steve Hollands , steve Carr, Horizon Hobbys, Steve Johnson with the large Hawk and of course many others including a large fireworks display and night flying in the evening.
In Recent years the show has lacked something and I offered to help out, and see if we could change a few bits to make it more interesting and enjoyable for everyone. I'm hoping to have some great displays lined up and the event organisers will be doing their part with the traders, food and entertainment.
We hope to see you and many others there. Please bring some good weather with you!

Edited By David Ovenden on 29/08/2016 14:59:30

No reply from organisers about trade stands at the show. However, looking on some websites I see that Inwood Models, Als Hobbies, SLEC are all going so it looks hopeful. Groupon have discounted tickets for the show. The weather looks as if it may be good too. So I'm going to go along. Anyone else planning to go?