Best Petrol Engine For An SLEC T240 - Advice Please Guys

You can fly anything on electric power. It's just a matter of choosing the right motor/battery/esc to provide the necessary power to get it off the ground and sufficient energy to allow a reasonable duration. The T240 is a big model (2.4 metres ws, as the name implies) so there's a lot of room for batteries I would think at least a 6s LiPo system but perhaps 5s might be OK but I don't know what the all-up weight might be.

A friend had one a few years ago and flew it on a 1.08 glow IIRC but performance wasn't sparkling and really it needed a bit more. SLEC flew the prototype with an MDS 60 with a 14x6 prop but replaced it with an Enya 120 (4 stroke?) with a 16x6 prop. So you need a set up that will turn a 16x6 prop at (say) 9,000 rpm which suggests 6S

Geoff

Advert

Hi Murat,

I just noticed your post and this thread is almost 4 years old now. As far as an electric conversion for the President T240 set up (Motor, Prop, Esc, Battery pack..etc)...I don't know, But I'm sure you will be given great and up to date advice from the guys here. ( My preference are still fours stroke IC).....I might get converted to a leccy powered glider one day smiley...

I had a T240 way back in 1994 Flew it on a SC108 two stroke, Great flyer, I still have the air frame (still In my Dad's loft..somewhere?) but the engine was passed on to one of my mates..a long...long time ago. I see from one of your earlier posts you mentioned Aberdeenshire model shops, Where do yo fly from?

ATB

Vince

• 2 months later...

If it's any help Murat mine flew on a Thunder Tiger 91 fourstroke but the take offs were described as "realistic" by a club colleague. I sold it to a man who installed a 120 four stroke, a much better proposition.

I've no experience of petrol engines but imagine that a 20-25cc engine would be about right.

radio queen and t240, forton, 2007..jpg

Edited By David Davis on 30/08/2020 08:29:10

• 9 months later...
On 27/06/2021 at 06:22, cymaz said:

Just doing a refurb on a T240. I had a brand new DLE30 sitting in a box....so that’s going in. Can anyone tell me how the tail was fixed? I was going to glue and brace it permanently.

I will post pictures later.?

Hi Cymaz, The tail on my T240 was just epoxied on permanently. I covered the tail plane first then cut off the film where it sat on the fuselage. I didn’t brace it but that would suit the model. I first flew it with a 10cc two stroke glow then a SC 108 and when eventually get round to refurbishing it I will put in my Laser 180. The Dle 30 should ideal for it. I’ve had my one for 27yrs..where does time go??

T240 a lovely old bus and an idealintro into larger models . We had two  as  club trainers many years ago  , early 90's ?  The first was covered in a gloss covering , I think it was Oracover and was very light for its size . Flew very well on a OS 91 Surpass  and was used as a toffee bomber a few times . Then we had a second covered in  olive drab solartex and marked up with American insignia and D day stripes . It was on this forum a couple ofyears ago so might still be doing the rounds ? It was poered with a Magnum 108 2st (like an ASP etc ) Flew great on that with plenty of power so a DLE 20 should be plenty.

Dont forget the more power you put in the front usually means more weight which usually means a stronger Undercarriage which meansmore weight etc etc. Eventually this  will affect the flying characteristics although it is a big old beast so should handle a bit of extra weight ok but dont get carried away . Also the stuts are working struts so do make them secure as the wings are only braced with a  plug in plywood dihedral brace .

Enjoy and some pics ?

Many moons ago, some enterprising soul started making rather nifty twin reduction drives linking two motors to a common shaft to make a quasi horizontally opposed job, which I seem to remember seeing in a 240. I think it had two 45ish size 4 strokes driving what seemed like a very big prop. Sounded wonderful. 

I also have vague memories of someone producing a twin crankcase which you got as a kit with the crankcase, crankshaft etc and onto which you bolted the cylinder heads, pistons, conrods etc of two donor engines. 

Edited by Matt Carlton