Latest on EASA Drone Regs

Peter Jenkins

The latest situation on the EASA proposed rule making on "Drones" is worth reading here. There are links to the EASA document and also a link to a page for registering your views. Might also be worth lobbying your MEP although that might not be highly productive! There is also a full description of what the BMFA is doing about this unfortunate situation.

Advert

While we are quibbling about the need for a national centre, perhaps we should look hard at this. My personal views are 1. If there was ever a demonstration why it will be foolish to fragment BMFA membership, this is it.

2. The sooner Article 50 is implemented and we get on with completing Brexit and get away from this mad-house the better.

I think people will look hard at it Colin, might be varying comments though.

Some might say is an NFC a good move in uncertain times "A serious threat to model flying as we know it"

Others may say do you trust our elected politicians to not sign us up to it even with Brexit ( should it become law n not a proposal)

Others will say " i told you we should've banned Drones"

Me i'm saying nowt till there's something to say.

John

'bout time the establishment got us deranged aero modellers under control and stopped us making and flying our evil killing/death machines, polluting the environment with large quantities of used electrons from our lectrikery powered devices. Make us take up a more socially acceptable activity like getting plastered at the weekend and creating no go areas in town centres. Or, better yet, random acts of vandalism along with constant defecation in public places. Its all rules for rules sake and to keep the rule makers, who have little if any idea what they're talking about, in high paid jobs. Makes me fell glade that my life is coming to its end - what a world!

Peter. Thank you, but EASA is part of the European Commission, which shambles we will fortunately detach from with Brexit. CAA may well remain attached as you say and I don't question the essential nature of a universal body for dealing with aviation matters. It's just that 25 years of active engagement with the Commission has left me completely disillusioned with anything to do with it. Still, that's another matter.

The key point is that we need to have our act on this one well organised and it's not one where you wait to see what happens, it can be too late then. BMFA will need our strong support.

Andy48, what old days, have you forgotten the Balkans conflict. Not that long ago. Or, more recent, Ukraine. If Russia continues with its expansionist attitude you may have a current situation in the Baltics. Deriding ones dislike of the modern states ever greater intrusion into a harmless personal activity/hobby does not win the argument.

Reading through the "prototype" document makes interesting (as well as mind numbing) reading, unless I'm wrong it appears to proscribe a 50m height limit to all UAV's unless the UAV is fitted with the following at which the limit goes up to 150m

(1) an ‘auto-return home’ function;

(2) a geofencing system as per Appendix I.6.b;

(3) a maximum attainable altitude of 150 m of height from the ground, through performance limitations or an active limitation system;

(4) electronic identification

Looking at the proposed regulations, by 2020 the hobby/sport as I know it now will look rather different unless the EASA are challenged by bodies like the BMFA which I fully support in their efforts.

A cursory look at the document and BMFA article certainly does make depressing though slightly predictable reading. One can only hope that the positive relationship the BMFA seem to have with the CAA and the pragmatic attitude they have shown so far towards model flying continues, and is not crushed by a steamroller of unnecessary EU bureaucracy.

PS - Only in the EU could an "Explanatory note" run to 16 pages...! sarcastic

This has all come about because the US has assassinated people in the middle east with what are just about RC model aircraft. Suddenly governments have realised that the model aicraft technology availble to us all could be used against them personally!

If we want to continue simple RC model flying we need to distance ourselves from FPV flying ( what a daft name) and say that's what should be banned because that's the real danger to politicians.

Colin,

Unless your not aware, the CAA are a major partner in EASA and are just as much responsible for the changes as any other country. Were still in EASA and will be for the next 2 years at least. WE helped write this stuff.

Once we leave Europe were quite likely to simply carry on with the same policies.

This hobby has a shelf life sadly and I doubt the well meaning bods at BMFA are going to prevent that happening.

Edited By The real Ron Truth on 12/09/2016 15:13:48

Peter, thank you, I have read that. If you consider this hobby in the broad sense that we should, it goes back more than a century, there's no reason it should have a shelf-life beyond people losing interest. Model planes have been flown in Sutton Park since 1909. KC, your observation about FPV is spot-on for me.

Barry, no and I think you're in the wrong thread.

Posted by kc on 12/09/2016 14:37:23:

If we want to continue simple RC model flying we need to distance ourselves from FPV flying ( what a daft name) and say that's what should be banned because that's the real danger to politicians.

Let's not take this debate down this path PLEASE! Throwing some of our number to the wolves is not a solution!

BEB