OpenTx - Questions and Problems

Posted by Wihtgar on 15/03/2017 19:31:15:

Yes, I was wondering if I had to use it with the Tx turned off. Looks like I do to access models & settings with it off.

No just the opposite, turned on in bootloader mode to transfer models and settings. That is indeed the better mode to update the firmware too. (Unless you need to update the OpenTx bootloader - but don't worry about that)

Advert

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 15/03/2017 20:37:40:
Posted by Andy48 on 15/03/2017 19:40:40:

I repeat. You NEVER need to use Zadig once you are on OpenTX 2.0 or above. Why do you ever need to talk to the Tx when not in bootloader mode?

When you have a Horus.

True for the Horus whilst OpenTX is still in development, but not the Taranis which is what these guys are using. Such comments only serve to confuse more.

You do not need Zadig to update the bootloader on the Taranis, that is also built into OpenTX.

Posted by Andy48 on 12/03/2017 11:38:41:

A lot of time could have been saved had you looked at the documentation link I gave on the bottom of page 4 of this topic. Its all there, step by step with illustrations and screenshots on using the main two methods of updating the firmware. See pages 9 and 10 of reference section 1 "The Basics!" There is also a page of explanation about the various firmwares on OpenTX. All the tick boxes for the build options are explained too on page 14.

However, if people prefer to do it the hard way....

Updating the bootloader through OpenTX is in the above reference, page 10 going onto page 11.

What if you want to update the OpenTx bootloader? You can't do that while it's running. So you either have to do this using the STM32 Bootloader (Tx off mode) or update it from the SD card.

Quote Re: OpenTx Bootloader:-
The limitation of this mode is that only the OpenTX main radio firmware part is written/flashed. The OpenTX Bootloader part stays unchanged, because the OpenTX Bootloader is currently the active program and can not erase/overwrite itself. This is also to prevent users from inadvertently overwriting their working OpenTX Bootloader with some other non-working version.

Posted by Wihtgar on 11/03/2017 20:59:00:

I still can't get the unpowered connected functions as described in the Phillips i.e. the ability to flash the firmware but I'm still running V2.0.9.2 bootloader. The only way I can see to upgrade this at the moment is to load the firmware onto the SD Card and flash it on the Tx. Perhaps this is why the Zadig driver is necessary to be able to talk to the Tx with it switched off?

Nowhere in this documentation does it say you can talk to the Taranis transmitter with it switched off. Its simple, you need to be in bootloader mode.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 15/03/2017 21:01:29:

What if you want to update the OpenTx bootloader? You can't do that while it's running. So you either have to do this using the STM32 Bootloader (Tx off mode) or update it from the SD card.

Quote Re: OpenTx Bootloader:-
The limitation of this mode is that only the OpenTX main radio firmware part is written/flashed. The OpenTX Bootloader part stays unchanged, because the OpenTX Bootloader is currently the active program and can not erase/overwrite itself. This is also to prevent users from inadvertently overwriting their working OpenTX Bootloader with some other non-working version.

I repeat. Read my documentation, "The basics" section pages 10 and 11. It shows you how to update the Bootloader from within OpenTX. Its really easy!

However, on page 9 it reads, '4. Connect the transmitter to the computer with the transmitter switched off.'

​This is what has been confusing me as it goes on to say that using this method, the bootloader is automatically updated.

As I couldn't get this to work, I used what you describe on pages 10 and 11 and, as you say its really easy.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Tony Richardson on 25/03/2017 18:17:15:

Has anybody in the UK experienced THIS PROBLEM I have tried to replicate it but failed, that said FrSky are aware and have replicated it and therefore are working on a firmware solution.

The incident was already raised here.

I agree with Andy Meade's response - it's not a FrSky problem.

PatMc I agree it is not a FrSky problem and it was stated in the thread on RC Groups that this type of interference would affect any RX FM or 2.4 my concern was the lock out and then when interference has passed the RX was staying in failsafe until it was switched off and then on again,Andy's response is correct in every way, what I have not been able to determine is the range of said interference if some clown tries to fly with the same lack of care/consideration as the joker in the post, I feel the chances of this happening are slight to none if proper maintenance of ignition systems is carried out, just wondering if this was a one off or not.

Getting back to OpenTx, I have been experimenting with the program to gain familiarity with it and I have the following question.

I have set up the channel sequence TERA in the TX profile in OpenTx which seems to propagate through to the General Settings in the model editing screens. On the TX I had previously set up a couple of models in the AETR channel sequence which I have downloaded to my PC.

The question is, can I copy across another model to the SD card with a different channel sequence? i.e can several models with difference channel sequences co-exist on the same TX?

Thanks Andy48. Another question, at the bottom of the Setup tab in the model General Settings there are two fields, one to retrieve calib. etc. and one to store these settings in selected profile. Does this calibration data come from the SD Card download?

No it comes from the actual calibration data stored on the transmitter. Thus you could use the same version of the Companion with two transmitters each with their own unique calibration data provided each transmitter has its own profile. Starts to get complicated here. crying

@Whitgar It sounds as though you are not following the recommended procedure. Companion does not know about your settings unless you read them back from the TX. You should follow this procedure:

Read Models and Settings from Radio

Edit/add to the models using Companion

Write Models and Settings to Radio.

This way your settings are preserved. I keep dated copies on what is read from and written back to the radio.

Being impatient, I usually edit  the old M&S before starting and test the changes in the simulator. I then have to have both the old and new M&S open in Companion at the same time. It works. I then copy and paste from the old to the new. Remember to write back the edited new M&S to the radio.

Edited By Bryan Anderson 1 on 31/03/2017 05:34:31

Thanks for the tips Brian, I've not actually saved anything to the Tx yet - coming from a humble DX4e, the Taranis is a powerful beast and I'm still feeling my way.

I was planning to follow the procedure you've outlined so all should be OK. I was planning to rough out new models so to speak in OpenTx, cut and paste to the existing downloaded Tx model file, finalise on the Tx (if I have the skills!) and re-read back to OpenTx to Archive.

I have added spreadsheets to the various file storage locations on the PC to keep track of firmware downloads, new model creation and edits.