OpenTx - Questions and Problems

I'm Ok with flashing from the SD card, just that I didn't have that option before I upgraded OpenTx. D8 is not relevant to me as I have the latest X-Series receivers (two pre LBT and one post so I can check the LBT installation).

With help from here **LINK** (First time I've done this and doesn't look right) its beginning to make sense.

Think I'll do a further OpenTx download with Timer3, eu and lua which should give me enough to keep going.

Advert

A lot of time could have been saved had you looked at the documentation link I gave on the bottom of page 4 of this topic. Its all there, step by step with illustrations and screenshots on using the main two methods of updating the firmware. See pages 9 and 10 of reference section 1 "The Basics!" There is also a page of explanation about the various firmwares on OpenTX. All the tick boxes for the build options are explained too on page 14.

However, if people prefer to do it the hard way....

The documentation link you posted Andy is the source I use but some of what is quoted in the documentation was not as I found it on my system - probably down to the vagaries of windows and my PC setup.

The GitHub information I had found some time ago and had forgotten about it and I think gives a better explanation than the Phillips manuals. The problem is sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Here's a neat trick on Horus - This is a graphing LUA script, I've found it useful to look at glider flights, on the spot, at the field.

Here we see the electric powered climbs picked out using the mAh (yellow trace). You can see that after the first climb, some lift was found. After the other three climbs however, almost no lift was found. So whatever it was that I did early on in the flight was clearly the right thing to be doing.

The graph also shows that barometric altitude (from the Vario) closely tracks the GPS altitude plot.

p2k4.jpg

How about these then, will this help push even more?

All of the same flight from different viewing angles.
Unfortunately the lowest metre or so of this flight doesn't show. My fault simply because I "reset telemetry" while next to the car and then walked down to the strip. So takeoff and landing were recorded as being below ground level.
Flight is about 1000ft high. (327m)

Plan view.

p2k1.jpg

p2k2.jpg

p2k3.jpg

Wow Kevin! Your magician is well travelled. He he!

magician.jpg

Your problem is caused by changing from OpenTX 2.0 to OpenTX 2.1. Not only did they change the way the telemetry is discovered, but they also changed the way the data is stored. Now the GPS data is stored in just one field.

magician b.jpg

There are 2 solutions.

1. Use Excel or similar to convert the appropriate fields. Do not save it in Excel format however.

2. Load a version of Companion 2.0 (It can exist alongside 2.1 on your computer quite happily, and may still be on your system) and use that to send your data to Google Earth.

Hi Kevin

Andy48 has alluded to what your issue is. The format of the saved data has changed between OpenTx versions.

You should be able to display new logs by using Companion 2.2 but not older ones.

As you see in Andy48s example. The GPS data is now in a single column.

(And having read A48's post again, I see he's already said all this - DOH!)

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 14/03/2017 21:01:43

Love the flight overlay Chris.

For a bit of fun I was trying to work out the wind direction and speed, if any, based on the trace pattern.

Would I be miles out if I guessed it was from left to right standing at what looks like the pit area and fairly light, say about 6 to 8 mph.

John.

Posted by Devcon1 on 15/03/2017 06:45:07:

Love the flight overlay Chris.

For a bit of fun I was trying to work out the wind direction and speed, if any, based on the trace pattern.

Would I be miles out if I guessed it was from left to right standing at what looks like the pit area and fairly light, say about 6 to 8 mph.

John.

Hi John. I think this particular flight is really deceptive, the trace doesn't look much like I remember it, that's for sure. The wind was from about 2:00 to the strip and was strong enough to hold the P2000 stationary and require either the motor or flaps and ailerons all up a little to move the model forwards. In fact it was probably the best flight I've ever had to demonstrate the effects of such camber changes.

I think the lift was probably wave lift and I'll probably only see that in these particular conditions.

So almost all of the flight was spent with the P2K facing in the 2:00 direction, and just drifting about. Maybe the climbs included turns. It's a real shame that the landing is missing from the trace, because that took the model out to the left of the strip. That is just not shown at all.

Posted by Bryan Anderson 1 on 15/03/2017 09:16:51:

@Chris Bott

Your plots are really nice but have left me wondering. Are they really from flights with a HK Phoenix 2K?

If so, could you please tell us how to fit in GPS, current sensor and altimeter.

I have one that is being fitted out and stowing just the four servo leads from the wing is already a problem.

Hi Bryan yes indeed a P2K. I'll try to take some photos of the installation later this afternoon. IIRC the Rx is on the bottom of the fus around the wing L/E. Vario is on fus floor behind the servos. Current sensor is on the side of the fus near the rear of the hatch with the GPS behind that but still in fornt of the wing. (Maybe, I'll have to check)

They're handy pics Chris, I've got one as well and need to fit Altimeter and voltage sensor!

Did you have a problem with the larger servo arm contacting the re-enforcing plate in the fuselage?

Anyway, got to finish the Bambino to try out the Taranis first (and update the bootloader)

As I understand it Zadig is only necessary for connecting to the processors own bootloader. This is when you connect the USB with the Tx turned off.

When you use the opentx bootloader, entered by holding trims in while switching on, you start in that mode and then plug in the usb. At this point the PC should recognise two external disk drives.

Posted by Wihtgar on 15/03/2017 18:16:08:

OK Chris.

Have now got Taranis TX firmware and bootloader up to 2.1.9 but still cannot talk to Tx when not in bootloader mode. Is it as Painless360 said, the Zadig driver has to be used?

Trebor also said he had to use it on his setup.

I repeat. You NEVER need to use Zadig once you are on OpenTX 2.0 or above. Why do you ever need to talk to the Tx when not in bootloader mode?

You do not need to use Zadig to update the bootloader.