OpenTx - Questions and Problems

Have you got the mix screen pointing to the sticks directly instead of the inputs?  E.g. the mix screen should show I1(Rud), I2(Ele) etc as inputs not just Ail, Ele.  Inputs screen should show as Rud, Ail, Ele, Thr etc.  It sounds as though you have them mixed up.

Rud, Ele etc refer to the control stick position, I1, I2 refer to the control position after it's been processed by the input screen.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 13/11/2016 09:51:22

Thanks Bob and Andy48.

All now sorted, I've put 2.1.9 in the tranny now after some nervous head scratching but my real problem was as you said Bob. My mix screen was looking at the pure throttle input and not the "ithr" value. It's been said before but you do have to re learn. Many more moments like this to come.

Thanks again

John

• 2 months later...

Here's an interesting one.

Had a friend came round with a single model on his Taranis, and worried the aileron trim had been reversed inside the transmitter. A quick check with the model showed the trim was indeed reversed. The problem was not with the transmitter, but in programming OpenTX.

He had needed to reverse the aileron servo, and had done this in inputs:

[I4] Ail Weight (-100%)

This obviously worked, however the trim is added after the inputs so whilst he had reversed the main direction of the servo travel, it had not altered the trim direction.

The moral:

Set up all the controls in Inputs and Mixes and then when the model is first set up, reverse the servo direction in the Outputs screen.

Yep there's a few little "gotchas" in there.
To make it SO flexible they've added every possible option to every possible page.
There's another one if you use the mixes page to add rate switches. (I'm afraid I can't remember the actual effect, but I ended up going right back to the developers about that one)
The best practice place to do rates is on the inputs page.

I have lost count of the number of times I've helped newcomers to OTX sort the issue where -ve inputs cause reversed trims. Not sure if the problem is that -ve values should not be selectable, or servo reverse should just be a bit more obvious!

It is one of the few areas where I think a little less flexibility would help - I've never seen a real world problem that required -ve input values as the only possible solution. I will raise a GitHub functionality request about it; I'm sure they won't want to get rid of the option to use negative values, but I'm sure a short splash screen warning could be created warning of the trim effect whenever you select a negative value.

Posted by MattyB on 28/01/2017 14:56:36:I will raise a GitHub functionality request about it; I'm sure they won't want to get rid of the option to use negative values, but I'm sure a short splash screen warning could be created warning of the trim effect whenever you select a negative value.

You need negative values with MAX. I tried unsuccessfully to get them to also include a MIN to overcome this.

• 1 month later...

OpenTX 2.2 n363 is out - lots of fixes for X7s, plus a few for X9s and X12s including

'FrSky Horus : Flashing of Smart Port devices now supported on external module pins'

I haven't tried flashing a receiver yet but otherwise it looks to be working ok, though Companion simulator still has a few bugettes such as not always generating voice alerts.

Remember to check the radio profile in Companion 'settings' after installing n363, I didn't and then wondered why it was trying to download OpenTX for a Taranis! It also cleared the noheli and massstorage flags in the Horus profile. Also don't forget to download the updated SDCard contents or you get warnings on switching the tx on!

This particular version also requires unchecking of the "Check compatibility" box when you flash your Tx, so make doubly sure that you have the right version.

Apparently this and the loss of radio settings in companion is a required one off in just this version due to some changes they've made. Something to do with the way companion identifies your specific Tx.

I don't think we're too far off the official release of 2.2 now.

dont know Not sure if I should have started another thread but here is my question / problem. I,ve gone to the Open tx uni to follow the install of my first plane and Im stuck. **LINK**

I programmed ailerons on a 3 way switch. Set up travel / weight as its called in the mixers, assigned the switch ok on the inputs. But for the life of me I cannot get the Ailerons low, med and high info to come up in the inputs sad I must be doing something wrong but not sure what.Should I be flitting from the inputs and mixers all the time or is there an easier way.

You will only see the effect of your settings on the monitor screen, this shows the actual channel output with the effect of any rates, expo, dif etc applied. The inputs is just that - the start of the chain. Inputs defines the control inputs, eg sticks. Here you can apply things like differential, curves etc that will apply to ALL rate settings for a control. Next along comes the mixers screen where you can define your rates to be used with a control, with any dif or expo to apply to a specific rate ('weight' ) setting, interaction between control inputs (eg flap>ele mix) and the like. The mixes are applied to the input to give the output. On the output screen you can apply any servo limit or sub-trim and reversing.

The result of all this is visible using the monitor.

Are you working in Companion or directly on the transmitter?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 09/03/2017 15:45:49

I have just being using the transmitter, I have noticed that most of the details were showing up in the mixer page and not the input. I think if Id type all the names in it would have showed in the input page. Just finished putting in my Funcub with flaps. Low and high rate on ailerons and elevator, expo, Throttle on a kill switch, basic rudder, the problem was my flaps. Then I found the offset alongside the travel / weights adjustment bar which I adjusted on the mid flap switch to get what degree I wanted.

All I can say Its harder than Spektrum to get in the air but as its my first plane I will keep at it. Just got to put sounds in for the flap positions then its complete. Time for a brew yes There must be an easy way to do it, if I keep looking maybe the fog will lift laugh

OpenTX university is not always up-to-date, it often has sections relating to earlier versions of OpenTX. Have you read through the "Getting Started" section of the documentation I referred to in your other topic? Much of what you wish to do is explained there fully. I would also suggest you start programming using the Companion rather than directly on the transmitter. It is much easier to see what is going on, and it is far quicker. You will soon get the hang of altering things down at the field using the Tx when you are familiar with all the screen on the Companion. You can also use the simulator on Companion to test whether your programming works as expected.

I found it a steep learning curve as you need to throw previous transmitter programming experience and preconceptions out of the window. However, once the penny drops it really can be quick and easy to set up models. Once you have your first model set up you can copy this to use as a template for creating similar new models.

If I knew how to take screen shots I'd put a few on here so you can tell me where I went wrong. I seem to do most programming on the switch, mixer pages. I thought I'd approach the controls like a child as they just start pressing buttons and quickly work it out, my problem is remembering how I did it laugh

screen print.jpg

If you're using a PC press the "Print Scrn" button. Open Windows Paint (not Fresh Paint), press the "Paste" icon & the image should appear. Using the "Select" tool select the required area then click "Crop" & save the result as a Jpeg which can now be added to your album etc ...

PS the first two lines above were cropped from a screen print of this thread as described.

Edited By PatMc on 10/03/2017 12:09:18

yes I will give it a go when I've got my head round a few other things, we never had computers, calculators when I was a lad just cheap wooden beads.

Ive just set the failsafe on a x6r Rx and testing it just by turning off / on, the transmitter comes back but will not connect due to a towline switch that could have been used. Is there a way round this as I don't fancy working out which switch to change to re connect whilst plummeting back to earth.

ps, I know normal operations the power would not have been turned off in the first place but would I still be ok ? 

Edited By trebor on 10/03/2017 12:42:16

You won't need to work out which switches to fiddle with in a normal failsafe situation unless you really have switched of the tx! The reason it didn't connect is that the Tx doesn't start transmitting after switching on until all switches are in their designated positions (if switch checks are enabled).  As failsafe is normally caused by something other than physically switching of the Tx this doesn't apply very often.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 10/03/2017 16:13:05

I'm just starting to upgrade my Taranis Plus prior to thinking about using it in anger so to speak. Its running OpenTx 2.09.2. I loaded the EU LBT .frk file onto the SD card in FIRMWARES, then inserted it in the TX, tried to flash this file onto the TX but the only option I had was to delete it (this was using theTX itself). Do I need to upgrade OpenTx on the TX to 2.1.X to get the options I need to flash the EU upgrade?