OpenTx - Questions and Problems

I can't honestly remember whether OpenTX 2.0 supports flashing, but the obvious solution is to update OpenTX to 2.1 first anyway. The whole point of OpenTX is to always use the stable most recent version which is currently 2.1.

As you are only just starting to use it, it will be harder to stick with 2.0.

OK Andy I will go that route. As previously stated on these forums there is an awful lot of information out there which is now out of date and thought that may be my easiest way in.

I will follow the Open Tx The Basics and first backup the existing firmware (by reading it from the TX) and flashing it from my version of opentx (2.1.7) as I have been playing with that for some time now.

Posted by Wihtgar on 10/03/2017 17:07:22:

I'm just starting to upgrade my Taranis Plus prior to thinking about using it in anger so to speak. Its running OpenTx 2.09.2. I loaded the EU LBT .frk file onto the SD card in FIRMWARES, then inserted it in the TX, tried to flash this file onto the TX but the only option I had was to delete it (this was using theTX itself). Do I need to upgrade OpenTx on the TX to 2.1.X to get the options I need to flash the EU upgrade?

I'm sure you will need at least OpenTx 2.1.1.

I was directed to when I updated my original version Taranis.

Posted by Wihtgar on 10/03/2017 21:48:52:

Had to upgrade to ver 2.1.9 to download firmware. Tried to flash TX but error could not write to radio. Tried several times without success. One message re using Zadig driver. Do I have to use this for my version of Taranis?

Documentation here: **LINK**

See the "How to" section for flashing the transmitter and receivers.

I wrote the firmware for doing the SPort device updating, originally for ersky9x firmware. It was added to openTx eventually, but forced you to upgrade to 2.1 to get the feature. For those using 2.0.15 to 2.0.19, I built versions of openTx using my original method, you can find them here: **LINK**.

To access the feature, power on holding the two horizontal trims APART. You need to put the upgrade .frk file in a "Firmware" (no s) directory.

You should be able to update the main firmware using the bootloader (which I also wrote), accessed by powering on holding the two horizontal trims towards each other.

Mike.

Edited By Mike Blandford on 10/03/2017 22:30:19

I use the manuals that Andy references as my guide plus additional notes I've added.

The first thing I want to do is upgrade OpenTx on the Transmitter. It's currently running 2.0.9.2 which I am guessing is a FrySky variant. Looks like the only OpenTx Companion download is 2.1.9 which I did but did not do it from my existing version of 2.1.7, so I need to sort that out first as I seem to have two versions of OpenTx for the Transmitter!

So, the question is, do I need the Zadig driver to update OpenTx on my Taranis Plus running OpenTx 2.0.9.2?

Wihtgar: Hold the two horizontal trims towards the centre then power on. If you get the bootloader then you don't need zadig, if it powers on normally then you do need zadig.

trebor: You only need to consider updating your receivers if you update the XJT module firmware, which is a completely different operation to updating the firmware on the Taranis itself, whether you flash openTx or ersky9x.

Mike.

Hi Mike, I have the bootloader so in theory don't need Zadig. Must be something else preventing the OpenTx upgrade.

As I said before I have loaded the EU XJT software on the TX SD Card in Firmwares but I don't get the option to flash the TX, only Delete. Is this down to the early version of OpenTx?

Re OpenTx Companion, I might need to start again as 2.1.9 has downloaded to the same location as 2.1.7 but not installed. As you say Trebor, I should have updated the 2.1.7 version I have. It seems to be the same location where the backup files are located.

I'm not sure how urgently you want to update, Whitgar? But it looks like the next major version 2.2 is very close to being released.
It can be downloaded and used now but is officially in a pre release version just at the moment.
http://www.open-tx.org/2017/03/05/opentx-2.2.0RC11

In fact Horus owners who want to use OpenTx and all Taranis Q-X7 owners have been using it for some time.

It is worth reading all the release notes, though.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 11/03/2017 11:19:53

OK downloaded companion 2.1.9 into new set of folders, although it picked up old settings.

Can see two drives in bootloader mode, one looks like the SD Card image and the other EEPROM.BIN and FIRMWARE.BIN.

Read Models and Backup Radio seems to work although they appear to be the same file which is the same size as EEPROM.BIN above.

With Taranis off, cannot see any drives and cannot read firmware - 'cannot open device'

Any ideas anyone?

You want to be in bootloader mode, with the drives present. Then, on companion, just click on the "Write Firmware to Radio" button and select the firmware file to write.

You might want to use the "Read Firmware from Radio" button first to make sure you have a copy of the firmware as it exists. Read Models and Backup radio probably both just read the EEPROM, not the firmware.

Mike.

Sorry but I've got another question, I programed one model into position 1 and if I go to position 2 to start another fresh model to program instead of the wizard popping up I get model ID already exists [ exit ] dont know

I tried deleting any info that might be on position 2 but I still get the same reply. I have no idea what's causing this and to top it off the speaker has started a faint buzzing.

The object Chris was to flash the LBT TX software but i'm assuming I can't due to the early release of OpenTx I'm using so I'm trying to update OpenTx and version 2.1 will be fine for me. I've noticed that the earlier versions have disappeared from the OpenTx website so 2.1 9 it will be.

To do this it looks as if I have to use the Zadig driver which is my next move unless someone knows otherwise (as Trebor did above).

You're right to be cautious Whitgar.

At this stage you have everything working for updating the firmware.
You just need to be absoluetly sure that you have the right firmware.

What you download from the web is "built to order" so to speak, depending on the settings you have in Companion - Settings.

Make sure you have the right transmitter selected (Plus or not plus, etc)
Then make sure you have the right tickboxes checked for the features you want.

settings.jpeg

Then, and only then, download the firmware and you'll get the version you need.

(I have once or twice had to ignore the check firmware message (by unchecking before sending to radio) Because of the message you're seeing.
Obviously it's important to be confident that you have the right firmware before you do this.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 11/03/2017 16:30:57

Yes Chris, that's something I had noticed, what was checked in settings changed what OpenTx file was downloaded. How on earth would I know what boxes to check at this point in time? Presumably with more experience I would want more facilities (for want of a better word) and would have to reflash the TX. Is this possible?

The other thing I picked up on was that some of these filenames were more than the 28 characters that were acceptable to install.

I see your example above does not include eu, I would have thought that this would be essential for me to use the TX in the UK.

Hooray! In bootloader mode, uncheck hardware compatibility successfully upgraded my taranis to ver 2.1.9.

So, to sum up, stock Taranis Plus V2.0.9.2, updated OpenTx by using bootloader and Companion with unchecked hardware compatibility to V2.1.9. I now have ability to flash, copy, rename and delete - which was the only option in V2.0.9.2, files from the SD Card. Also blue screen (I'm sure that wasn't there before)

I also still have Sounds which all online advice said would not work after upgrading from V2.0, models still there and now can upgrade to the LBT Tx software.

I still can't get the unpowered connected functions as described in the Phillips i.e. the ability to flash the firmware but I'm still running V2.0.9.2 bootloader. The only way I can see to upgrade this at the moment is to load the firmware onto the SD Card and flash it on the Tx. Perhaps this is why the Zadig driver is necessary to be able to talk to the Tx with it switched off?

Posted by Wihtgar on 11/03/2017 17:52:31:

I see your example above does not include eu, I would have thought that this would be essential for me to use the TX in the UK.

IIRC if you don't check the EU box you retain (or gain) the D8 mode facility but LBT is still functional in D16 (and LR12 ?) mode. Ticking the EU box omits the D8 mode option.

D8 mode is needed to operate V8-II & D series receivers.

Two things:-

1 The EU option you mention simply seems to remove being able to select D8 as one of the RF modes.

2. To flash anything, i.e. the internal RF module, put the file on the SD card. Then find it with the SD card browser (Radio setup page 2). Highlight the file, hold enter until a menu pops up and select Flash internal device (or external if you're doing say a receiver)