OpenTx - Questions and Problems

Posted by Andy48 on 30/10/2016 17:47:48:

Its a great pity the NHS cannot supply reasonable ones that work.

They do.
I was tested & provided with a pair of Siemens hearing aids last year. They were programmed by audio spectrum to my needs when supplied. Replacement batteries are supplied FOC. They're small, very effective & unobtrusive.

Edited By PatMc on 02/11/2016 00:12:51

You are lucky to have a NHS that covers most everything, here in Canada our health service is very good but does differ from province to province, however Dr's visits, emergency hospital visits and all major surgeries illness etc are tended to on a timely basis at no cost, what is not covered are Drugs,Dental,Vision and Hearing and the aids I need are venturing into the five figure $ range just not doable at the moment, so with the haptic and a set of ear buds the Tx will work just fine I think. IF IT EVER STOPS RAINING sorry shouldn't shout,force of habit. smiley

Just got my X9D Plus (terrific service from T9Hobbysport) so first foray into open TX.

What a revelation so far.

Far easier to programme than I imagined although I've only scratched the surface with a Vario and Lipo sensor with all the work directly on the Tx.

Now, Companion doesn't recognise my TX when I connect the USB despite following the stated procedure re trim positions etc.

I think I read the (OpenTx FrSky version 2.1.6) on the Tx when new is not the full OpenTx version and therefore not compatible with Companion.

Am I correct in assuming I have to Install the latest OpenTx version in order to use Companion,

Regards

John

I've downloaded and installed the latest OpenTXCompanion ver 2.2on359. I've set the radio type to Taranis (mine is an early transmitter) and tried to rewrite the firmware to ver2.2.

What happens is that after I've selected the new firmware and asked it to burn it to my transmitter the down load appears to work OK but then I get a message "New firmware is not compatible with the one currently installed"

The firmware that is installed is opentx-taranis ver 2.17. I've backed that up on my PC and burnt it from Companion successfully (apparently, at least I get no errors).

Is the earlier standard Taranis not compatible with any later firmware updates? If so, it could be the reason I can't get my S6R receiver to work as it demands ver 2.2 firmware according to the data sheet.

What am I doing wrong? Any advice gratefully received.

Geoff

Geoff you don't need opentx 2.2 if you use the STK USB from T9 (Total £13.00) or buy mine (brand new never used) for £10 inc p&p.

Not familiar with 2.2 but have you tried write firmware to radio then check sd card to see that latest firmware is there, next step from the Taranis bootloader writing to the transmitter. Like i said not familiar with 2.2.

Andy48: That's the same as me except I'm using the international RF firmware because I still have receivers that need it and it works. I'm also using the latest version of OpenTX but opentx-x9d+2.2.0N359.bin won't write to my Tx. That + worries me a little but that's all I can get. In 'Settings' on Companion, what build options do you choose and which radio type. I have Frsky Taranis as my radio (obviously!) but I didn't select any build options. I did try selecting lua and got a different file name when I downloaded. That loaded OK but I lost all the speech output. Unfortunately when I tried to reload the original firmware the Tx doesn't work at all except (fortunately) the Bootloader and I've reverted to the now quiet ver 2.2.

It really is a nightmare. The using the software and the Taranis itself, is like standing on shifting sand. Stuff changes all the time and things that did work no longer do. For the first time I'm beginning to regret buying Frsky stuff. It was great until suddenly in ver 2.2 nothing works as it did before.

Attilo: I ordered an STK USB interface from T9 this afternoon unfortunately so it should be on its way.

Geoff

Firstly I would avoid using 2.2 unless you have to, it is still in development. Stick with 2.1.9.

Second, I would update all your receivers to the latest EU LBT, its a quick and easy job and can be done from the Tx. They work just fine and the range is good. Otherwise you have to flash any new receiver you get with the old firmware. Any new receiver you get will be normally EU LBT, your S6R may well be EU LBT. This could be why you are having problems binding.

I always leave a lead permanently connected to the smart port in each model. That way I can quickly swap telemetry from one model to another. I only have a couple of sets of current and voltage sensors for all my models. That same lead will do the firmware update.

Edited By Andy48 on 10/11/2016 21:42:08

Posted by Devcon1 on 10/11/2016 12:39:28:

Just got my X9D Plus (terrific service from T9Hobbysport) so first foray into open TX.

What a revelation so far.

Far easier to programme than I imagined although I've only scratched the surface with a Vario and Lipo sensor with all the work directly on the Tx.

Now, Companion doesn't recognise my TX when I connect the USB despite following the stated procedure re trim positions etc.

I think I read the (OpenTx FrSky version 2.1.6) on the Tx when new is not the full OpenTx version and therefore not compatible with Companion.

Am I correct in assuming I have to Install the latest OpenTx version in order to use Companion,

Regards

John

No you don't need the latest version of OpenTX. Yes the full version is installed, though some of the sound files may be missing.

There's documentation here. **LINK**

It will tell you how to get bootloader mode, its in the "How to" section. Hold the trims in to the middle and then switch the Tx on, then connect the USB lead. You may need to try different USB leads, some only work for charging. Its far easier to use the Companion for programming than the TX.

Posted by Andy48 on 10/11/2016 21:40:17:

Firstly I would avoid using 2.2 unless you have to, it is still in development. Stick with 2.1.9.

Second, I would update all your receivers to the latest EU LBT, its a quick and easy job and can be done from the Tx. They work just fine and the range is good. Otherwise you have to flash any new receiver you get with the old firmware. Any new receiver you get will be normally EU LBT, your S6R may well be EU LBT. This could be why you are having problems binding.

I always leave a lead permanently connected to the smart port in each model. That way I can quickly swap telemetry from one model to another. I only have a couple of sets of current and voltage sensors for all my models. That same lead will do the firmware update.

Edited By Andy48 on 10/11/2016 21:42:08

I believe the EU LBT RF firmware only works with X series receivers and I have a number of V and D receivers I'm reluctant to discard and buy new ones. My S6R is definitely not euLBT firmware because I've reflashed it as International and in any case I bought as international.

I've managed to get the sound working. I use S2 as a volume control but when I checked in the 'Special Functions' it didn't seem to work and S2 wasn't an option but S3 came up when I moved S2. There isn't an S3! Unless there's one on a Horus? Anyway it now works as before although the timer only gives the number and misses out the word 'minutes'! As I said it's a nightmare!

Annoyingly I can't get it back to the original firmware. Good job it's only the Taranis I use for experiments and indoor stuff.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 10/11/2016 22:19:33:

I believe the EU LBT RF firmware only works with X series receivers and I have a number of V and D receivers I'm reluctant to discard and buy new ones.

I'm using EU LBT RF firmware in my Taranis which works with V2 all D & X series Rxs.
IIRC the version is XJT_LBT_build151223.frk

Posted by Mike Blandford on 10/11/2016 22:33:48:

The Taranis plus has a 'spare' analog input that is referred to as S3.

Mike.

That's interesting but it's S3 that comes up when I move S2 and S2 doesn't seem to be there. The 2 side 'sliders' work OK IIRC.

Pat: Thanks Pat. That's a later version than the ones I have in my SD card. I may give it a whirl.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, Yeap. I am currently using the same versionof LBT as Pat and similarly can report no problems. I converted everything over to LBT about six months ago despite having a lot of receivers it was in the end a fairly easy 2-3 hours work. The biggest issue sometimes is getting to the Rx and the Smart Port - if you have neatly packaged everything away! I like that idea of Andy48 of fitting a "flying lead" to the Smart Port for "later use" either on telemetry or updating - I'll steal that!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/11/2016 10:44:14:

Hi Geoff, Yeap. I am currently using the same versionof LBT as Pat and similarly can report no problems. I converted everything over to LBT about six months ago despite having a lot of receivers it was in the end a fairly easy 2-3 hours work. The biggest issue sometimes is getting to the Rx and the Smart Port - if you have neatly packaged everything away! I like that idea of Andy48 of fitting a "flying lead" to the Smart Port for "later use" either on telemetry or updating - I'll steal that!

BEB

But some of my receivers don't have Smart Ports (V8R4-II; V8R7-II;V8FR-II) so their firmware can't be updated simply (if at all?) yet they work perfectly well with my Taranis with the XJT_141016.frk (non EU) firmware.

I've tried the LBT_build_151223.frk firmware and re-flashed an idle X8R with eu s/w and that works OK. Unfortunately S6R won't bind at all with eu firmware and not properly with non-eu firmware so more work is needed. I bought an STK USB interface from T9 and received very quickly but it's not much help. I'll have to get in touch with T9 and see what they have to say.

I managed to get rid of the v2.2 Opentx with a few problems but got everything back to how it was before. That definitely needs more work before it's usable other than for development. When I was using it, it didn't like the EEPROM for some reason. I assume that's the SD card (in my language all the memory in the Taranis is electrically eraseable programmable read only memory) rather than that storing the XJT or Opentx firmware. Perhaps the SD card needs formatting differently for OpenTX v2.2?

Geoff

Geoff, it's only the D16 compatible X series receivers that need to be updated via SPort. Your D8 compatible receivers (V8Rx-II) don't use LBT protocols as they use FrSky's legacy D series protocol and are unaffected by the XJT firmware upgrades. The D8 protocol doesn't change with LBT/ROW to the best of my knowledge.

That's good to know, Bob. I'll try that out once I've sorted my S6R issues. Luckily I have a Taranis that's more often used with an external model (Orange DSMX/2 or Flysky) for indoor flying so I can play with that to my heart's content without messing up the one I use for my outdoor models.

Geoff

No I didn't, Andy but really I was in alligator infested swamp territory at the time. You know, I was spending time fighting alligators when my real purpose was to drain the swamp. ie I only downloaded v2.2 in an effort to get my S6R receiver working not from any desire to upgrade opentx. Now I have an SRK USB interface and I've gone back to my original opentx I'm going to forget about v2.2 for a while.

Fight one battle at a time if you can manage it

Geoff

I'm sure there is a simple answer but I've searched everywhere and can't find the solution.

I'm using Companion 2.1.9 and have OpenTx 2.1.6 on the Tx.

I can set rates and expo on the Mixes window and they work correctly on both Companion and the Tx, but I know they should be set on the inputs screen, when I clear them from the mixes screen and set them on the inputs screen they don't work, regardless of the switch position I get 100%.

I also tried setting them directly into the the transmitter on the inputs screen and again only 100% showing on the monitor screen but they work correctly when set on the mixes screen.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks

John

1. You ought to update the TX to 2.1.9, the same as the Companion.

2. You don't have to set rates and mixes on the Inputs screen.

3. Without screen shots of your Inputs and Mixes screens it is very difficult to identify what you are doing wrong. My guess is that you are overriding them somehow on the Mixes screen.