OpenTx - Questions and Problems

Advert

ERIC - your problem resolved on your other thread but to save others having to go look for it  -

If your Usbasp shows up under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' in Windows device manager you have the wrong driver installed, it should show up in libusb-win32 devices. The driver linked in Daithis post works for me, however, this driver wont work in the Arduino enviroment.

Zadig 2.3 lists 4 different possible drivers for USBasp, Arduino requires the WinUSB9v6.1.76000.16385) driver to work and USBasp shows up under 'universal serial bus devices' tab in device manager whereas Companion requires the libusb-win32(v1.2.6.0) driver, which shows up under 'libusb-win32 devices' tab in device manager.

At least this is the case for me. Win7 64bit. Different OS's may get a different mileage!

Edited By MaL on 18/12/2017 13:38:47

• 6 months later...

I am using Companion 2.2 but I find that the screen on the simulator is locked on to the TX Lcd. I think there used to be three tabs above this area to enable one to switch between outputs and the YX Lcd screen. Is this a glitch in the software or is it me? Is there a solution?

I think this has happened because in 2.2 you don't really need the tabs anymore. For example, one of the tabs used to switch you to a channel output display, but you can have that as a separate window now - just press the top button on the left. So you get the Tx LCD and the channel output, plus all the logical switch outputs etc., at the same time.

BEB

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,does anyone know how to operate the gear doors from the gear switch on the qx7?,what l want to happen is:-

doors open followed by gear down-gear up followed by doors close

the gear will be on one channel and the doors on another,these will need to be mixed together with a 1-2 second delay to avoid the gear/doors conflicting with each other,l don't need the doors to close after gear extension-its on a scale glider-,l am very new to Taranis and programming,so hopefully someone out there can help,l am using the two position switch on the top left of the Tx as my gear switch,many thanks,jack.

There's a number of ways, Jack.

What I'd do is I'd create two new mixes in the mixer page.
Both with that switch as the source. One to the doors channel and one to the gear channel.

Then adjust the "delay" in each mix to make them work as you wish.
i.e. when selecting gear down, let the door channel operate immediately and delay the gear channel, and when selecting gear up let the gear operate immediately and delay the door channel.

Yeap, I'd go the same route, simpliest solution I think. Start with a long delay on the gear coming down, just to be sure the doors are fully open! You can then fine tune it so it is just right. Similar on the gear going up, long delay on the doors closing initially (to be sue the gear is safetly stashed away) and then fine tune the timing.

BEB

ok thanks guys,l am very new to this programming lark,to be honest it worries me more than a little,but you make it seem fairly straightforward,barry,l am using a hitec servo l was gifted,speed seems about right,l was concened about the weight of the wheel/leg assembly but it seems to cope just fine,running on 6 volts,l plan on using an S M services aux battery system l have,will post the results soon,all the best,jack.

• 2 weeks later...

l would like to use a set of blue tooth wireless earphones with my qx7 to monitor the vario signal,can anyone suggest a suitable transmitter to plug into the earphone jack?,there are a great many on fleabay but l am not very clear on the compatability side of things,l realize that plugging in a set of headphones is the simplest way to go,but l would prefer to avoid having a cable hanging around,cheers,jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have a problem with my X10 version 2.2.1. Just tried to program a model manually into the tx not using companion and the set up wizard will only let me select a plane. The rotary control will not cycle through any other model types, the only picture I get is a plane not like the Taranis where I can chose Plane, Wing, Helicopter, Quad.

• 1 year later...

Hello members, I have a Taranis X9D with firmware version "opentx-taranis-2.0.19

I'm just getting back into flying after a forced, health-related absence of four years or so.

Can someone please point me to some simple instructions on how to get from the current firmware to the latest (not sure if it's 2.2.3 or 2.2.4).

I'm particularly interested whether it needs to be done in stages, or if it can be a one-step process.

I'm also not sure which companion/s I will need.

I'm not great with working out this sort of thing but I have enough skills to follow a guide.

Thanks in advance, Steve.

I think you really need to go in steps between major releases eg 2.0.19 to 2.1.x then to 2.2.x and if you want the latest release finally to 2.3.5. If you only have a couple of models you could probably jump straight to 2.3.5 and just reprogram the models. You will need to use the 2.3.5 SD card contents as various filenames (sound and images definitely) have a 6.3 name format. Any images or sound files you made yourself will need the names truncating to suit this format.

I think you can do it by backing up your models and settings in 2.0.19 Companion, downloading the next release of Companion, import your backup which will convert everything to that release, save the converted models in the new format, then repeat for the each release step. Once you get to 2.3.5 write the firmware for 2.3.5 from Companion to the transmitter then you can write the models and settings in 2.3.5 format to your transmitter along with the SD card contents. Finally from the transmitter and with the models powered up go into the 'telemetry' page and select 'discover sensors'. Now you can update any logical switches and special functions that rely on telemetry.

I believe this is the correct process but don't hold me to it!

Thanks very much Bob. That all makes sense. I hadn't appreciated that all the converting would be done in Companion - that will make it easier. Fortunately I'm not sophisticated enough to play around with telemetry - so I've dodged a bullet there. Again, thanks for the response. I'll post my results, just for some closure, when I'm done. Cheers, Steve.

Well,, the news isn't great. I progressively installed Companion 2.1.9, then 2.2.4, then 2.3.5 - each time, backing up the radio to file - including with my earlier version of Companion before I started.

Each time I opened the backup in Companion the files read properly and operated in the Simulator as they should.

When I finally got to 2.3.5 - again the converted backup Simulated properly. I also updated the firmware each time.

Then when I copied the 2.3.5 'backup' to the Tx, and wrote the proper files to the SD card, the models all show up, but none work. Their is no data in the Input page, the first Mixer only is there, and that's about as far as I got.

It's 2:45am here, so I guess I'll take this up in the morning - I expect I'll be resetting the Tx to 2.1.9 and see if I can get working models back.

Good night chaps !!!

There was a fairly big change in the filing system used for storing models a while back (can't remember which version, but think it was 2.2.x). The format of the SD card also changed, and it is essential to have the right SD card format for the version you are using.

Remember that you are trying to jump 3 major generations of software here, so expect a few bumps in the road!

Back up your SD card on your computer, then download the version appropriate to whatever version of OpenTx you are trying to use, and then use Companion to convert everything to the new format before saving it to the new SD card.

Unless you have a lot of complex setups, it might be easier just to update to 2.3.5 (with a new SD card) and start again from scratch.

You will find download links for the SD card (and Companion) for 2.3.5 here: **LINK**

(scroll down to the bottom of the page)

You will also find SDcard downloads and Companion for older versions on the same site.

Best of luck!

--

Pete

Did you overwrite the Models folder on your SD card from the downloaded card image? I have a feeling that this might be why you have empty models, I'm sorry I forgot to warn you as I know I've had issues doing that. I have always updated (and used!) the transmitter for the various releases and must have kept existing Model contents, or perhaps just updating through Companion misses something?

Thanks Peter - it was late and I may have missed doing on of the SD card changes. Yes, I have a lot of complex models - not impossible to rebuild, but I'd rather not.

Bob, Each time - before I updated the firmware, I wiped the SD card, added a couple of images to the downloaded image, and then re-wrote the full card. As I say, I may have missed one. I'll be more methodical this time !!!

Thanks again, will advise when I have some result. Steve.

Thanks to the advice (and encouragement) from Bob and Peter, I have successfully restored my X9D to OpenTx Ver 2.0.19, then progressively updated it all the way up to Ver 2.3.5

Out of interest, here's a PDF Updating Taranis X9D to OpenTx Ver 2-3-5 from 2-0-19 of the list I made as I went this time, so I could refer back - making sure I didn't forget anything, and recording any issues along the way.

Thanks again guys, all that remains is to turn on a dozen or so models and just confirm that the Tx is talking to the Rx, and saying all the right things.

Best regards, Steve.

Glad you got it sorted, Steve!

I always try and keep my systems relatively up-to-date to avoid issues like this! I know how traumatic it can be! Having said that, I don't usually update to v.2.X.0, preferring to wait for at least 2.X.1 to catch any bugs!

I know the developers do a lot of Release Candidates (RC versions) before finally issuing a major upgrade, but its not until it gets in the hands of the great unwashed that you find out how resilient your testing has been! wink

--

Pete

Next, and hopefully last question for the moment. I can see, via Companion 2.3 how to change the splash screen.

I used to have a different sound file when I turned the Tx on - now I get this loud "Welcome to OpenTx" voice.

Can anyone tell me if the voice/sound associated with the splash screen can be changed - and if so, how please ?

Thanks again, Steve.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: I've read that I can just replace "hello.wav" with a file of my own - obviously still keeping the "hello.wav" filename.  Can it be that simple ???

Edited By Steve Aitken on 22/03/2020 13:04:28

Edited By Steve Aitken on 22/03/2020 13:04:48

Edited By Steve Aitken on 22/03/2020 14:24:51

Just to close out this issue - thanks to everyone who provided advice - it was gratefully received.

I did manage to change my opening WAV and put a special splash-screen with it. Here are links to the Audio and the Image if you are interested. The first pic, however, explains the splash I made.

It's too long a story, but suffice to say, for someone who would never have a tattoo, this is the one I ended up with - hope you like it !!!

Tattoo

Splash screen

Hello audio

Note that this is the stereo version - OpenTx requires a mono track to operate properly.

=================================================================================