Club member appathy

Advert

Posted by Jon Laughton on 23/10/2016 14:49:17:

As Chairman of a club I can validate the 80/20 rule and can understand that the pressures of modern life mean devoting time to anything other than flying can be difficult for a lot of members - but this is true for the more active members too!

In my experience it is often some (but not all) of those members who are usually passive / apathetic that become the most animated, irritated & whining when a club faces real problems such as flying field security or threats to flying. Suddenly they pop out of the woodwork to become very critical of more active members such as those on a committee and apply hindsight with great precision but little forethought.....but it was every thus and over the years I have developed a thick skin to go with the gumption others choose not to display...

Nail > head...

Posted by Jon Laughton on 23/10/2016 14:49:17:

As Chairman of a club I can validate the 80/20 rule and can understand that the pressures of modern life mean devoting time to anything other than flying can be difficult for a lot of members - but this is true for the more active members too!

I suppose a lot depends on what is termed as " Being an active member"?

I'm a club Instructor and always available to help with engine issues / model set up etc if asked when I'm up at the field.But I loathe "events" such as fun fly days as I've absolutely no interest in competition of any type to do with the hobby.

As I've already stated I don't attend club nights etc so is a member who has more time & inclination to attend events other than pitching up & flying really any more an active member ? Personally and in my own experience I think not.

But, I am a member of a French club, and can they do the social side. I am an ex club Secretary, different sport, I do my bit. I support.

But I often feel, the odd event, fine. Maintainence, I'll be there. But I fly toy planes, that is what I do, and to do it without hassle I need a club. And it would be easier if we all accepted this.

Posted by Donald Fry on 23/10/2016 17:10:42:

But, I am a member of a French club, and can they do the social side. I am an ex club Secretary, different sport, I do my bit. I support.

But I often feel, the odd event, fine. Maintainence, I'll be there. But I fly toy planes, that is what I do, and to do it without hassle I need a club. And it would be easier if we all accepted this.

"You need a club".....so who takes responsibility for the club being there then? The apathetic members or someone else who is prepared to give you what you want at their own cost and time.....?

Fait accompli?

Edited By Jon Laughton on 23/10/2016 19:43:07

As the OP i suppose i'd better reply.

I hadn't expected as much of a response.

I joined my current club back in 2007 and the all involved family type atmosphere was beginning to come to an end. Certainly in the last 5 or 6 years we've seen a lot of ARTF flying only members, rather than builders or club participants.

I wonder if the this change has been due to the advent of ARTF models and perhaps facebook etc.

In the old days a new novice member would identify an existing experienced member who would help with construction and flying and would be in contact regularly, usually face to face. Now models have gyros such as the apprentice and facebook and to some extent forums such as this replace a lot of the above and flyers fly, builders build and modellers model.

Nothing wrong with that, the face of many clubs is changing but without clubs and people to sort out tenure, rent, mowing, subs etc there would be many fewer places for flyers to fly.

Glad we're not on our own though.

Cheers

CB

Edited By ChrisB on 23/10/2016 19:57:55

THe concept that a club is like a commune and we all give and take to make it work is one that always makes me laugh.

The truth is we mix with and spend time doing what we prefer with the people we prefer. Some club members prefer to meet up and chat, some just want to fly. Groups form within the club, people seek similar minded flyers out etc. We all exist and have fun .

Any attempt by a club to socially engineer peoples behaviour such as an event etc is normally doomed as it forces members to go against there preferences .

My club has 1 agm and a few summer club nights which having been to a few are dire. Power point presentations done by retired folk.

We now just have a portable bbq at the site and post for people to come and have a burger and fly on a particular day. We get dozens turn out and let folk make the day what it will be.

Edited By The real Ron Truth on 23/10/2016 20:07:35

Edited By The real Ron Truth on 23/10/2016 20:08:19

We have monthly flying events with bbq's or other foodstuffs, aerobatic, scale, electric, gliding etc an AGM with buffet, Christmas quiz and buffet and bonfire night with fireworks and bbq etc.

Most are well attended by the same 25 or so, the rest choose for whatever reason not to attend.

My original reason for posting was around other such things like guest speakers and outings. Years ago a coach load used to go to a museum or similar. Now we can't get 10 to commit.

Its not done to socially engineer peoples behaviour, its about making it fun and interesting and more than just standing in the pilot box on your own and flying. If people don't want to do that then fine. Clubs will just become fields to fly from with a fee attached and nothing more.

Chris,

I think we lead such busy involved lives now that clubs will struggle to get a significant number of members out to a specific event. To expect a higher turnout is probably unrealistic, so 25 is excellent! Domt think people choose not to attend, they probably just cant.

The best idea is for a club to provide excellent club facilities and let the flyers find ways of enjoying themselves.

We seem to be with the others in the thirds split. We do everything to try and attract members to events, the most popular being the Summer BBQ's where we supply the food. However, after a while a while I realised that everyone else was paying the same as me so in effect they're subsidising my flying. So, the few of us who regularly fly and meet at the field, chat amongst ourselves about what we want. We suggest things to the Committee and some\ all of the suggestions get approved and the field and club get improved. So, whilst there are 100 members and only 15-25 regular fliers, the others are subsidising us. We want the grass cut more often? It's put to the Committee who sort it out. We want a cooker in the hut? The Committee approves and buys it. I've accepted the rules of thirds long ago and it works to my advantage, they subsidise my flying.

Posted by Jon Laughton on 23/10/2016 19:42:30:
Posted by Donald Fry on 23/10/2016 17:10:42:

"You need a club".....so who takes responsibility for the club being there then? The apathetic members or someone else who is prepared to give you what you want at their own cost and time.....?

Fait accompli?

Edited By Jon Laughton on 23/10/2016 19:43:07

Read the post. You should not alter a quote. And what is the relevance of a done deal?

to the committee members you must also remember the opinions you here the most from the floor are the ones that are voiced the loudest. these opinions are not necessarily what the majority think. and with BEB's problem with stopping the club nights the safe answer is not always the best way to go.

Posted by john stones 1 on 24/10/2016 01:12:04:

All opinions get listened to, decisions get made by members, all pay the same money, all have the same rights.

not all opinions get voiced and not all members have the same influence. That is just human nature

I feel very fortunate to belong to a very active little club, Berry Marche Modelisme (B2M) in the middle of France. Out of a membership of eighteen, eight of us worked on modifying our safety barrier and erecting a prefabricated shed for storage. The other ten were probably at work or school. We also enjoy club meals together.

working party at b2m.jpg

b2m barbeque (4).jpg