S6R receivers

Geoff S

Posted by Mike Briant on 05/06/2017 08:16:58:

Has anybody had problems with not being able to set up elevator rates? Aileron and rudder rates work fine but can't get elevator rates to work. Transmitter shows correct reaction on the graph but now change in the movement of the elevators.

Mike, probably know, but just in case - the only thing I found was that when you do your reset/initialize you need to have your full rates active otherwise it restricts what the rx puts out. ie, if you have low rates when you reset, the rx will never move them further - even when not in stab mode.

Advert

Good news then Mike.

That's an arguable downside of the incredible flexibility, you can actually do these things which cause problems or confusion down the line.

I find that I have just a few different model setups which I always copy for a new model and then tweak to suit.

For me, now, the fun is in dreaming up new functions in OpenTx, some of which would just be impossible in many other systems.

Yes sorry Andrew, I misunderstood your first post, but you were both spot on so many thanks.

​Again you're right Chris, the flexibility of Taranis/Horus can be both a good and bad thing and something small can cause problems. I copy model setups too but in this case I fell into the trap of copying the error too. Thankfully though there's helpful chappies on here and youtube who know the answer to most questions. Someone, somewhere has had the same problem and found the answer.

Thanks again guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody else noticed how fragile the whisker portion of the antenna seems to be?

I bought an S6R from T9 recently and the whisker portion of one antenna seemed to angle itself to the remaining, covered, portion of the antenna as I moved it about, setting up etc. Sure enough, as I fitted it to my model, the whisker portion broke off. T9 replaced it n/c.

Now, the same thing is happening again, with one whisker showing a propensity to sit at an angle. I am not kack-handed and treated both antenna very gently.

Second question - can I just remove some of the covering from a broken antenna to make a new whisker on a now-shortened antenna?

Carefully, very carefully, dangle the antenna in boiling water Ian for a second or two and tease out the unwanted bend between finger and thumb

As you know, any antenna is an exact length.

To add a piece, you have to add the exact length

Prepare the joint, mechanically clean and at this stage I pin the wire, the antenna, and the RX to a flat board

Get the whole assembly stable at the correct length

Prepare the iron fully heated 20W is fine

Touch joint add solder in flash, count to one

Then take the iron away from the shiny joint

I've trimmed back the outer screen on a couple of receivers with no ill effect. Just match the length of the exposed inner with a good aerial. Of course you will do a range check from all around the model to check it won't you?

Mine were earlier receivers, D8R-II iirc.  Might be worth letting T9 and FrSky know if they've got a bad batch of aerials now.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 16/06/2017 10:07:16

Thanks Denis and Bob for the technical advice. Since a replacement antenna is only a couple of quid or so I think I'll end up just replacing them, complete, rather than trying a repair. Unfortunately, the tabs which connect the antenna to the pcb inside the receiver are also a smaller size which means having to continue using these new antennae rather than up-grading to the older, thicker antennae.

However, I may complain strenuously to T9 in the hope that it gets back to Frsky.

The extra thin antennae on this receiver are a joke. Frsky have made a serious blunder in changing from the previous, very adequate, antennae to these extremely fragile new ones. I have only bought 2 x S6Rs at this time - I wonder if the S8R will also have these new super-delicate antennae.

Its a shame because, for a very little extra cost, I think most folk would prefer to buy these receivers instead of "standard" receivers but at the moment I would suggest that they are "not fit for purpose"

Ian

Edited By IanR on 16/06/2017 11:21:46

• 1 month later...

I have 3 S6R receivers and I have the same binding problem with all three.

I am using a Taranis Plus updated with the latest firmware Ver 170317 and the S6R receivers upated to the latest stable version 170217 (NON EU)
Companion Ver 2.2 and Open TX 2.2.0

Create a model on an empty slot. On some slots the receiver will refuse to bind but editing the model and manually changing the receiver number to the one lower than allocated when creating the model it will now bind.
For example I created new model on slot 15, model was then given a receiver number of 15 matching the model number. The receiver does not bind. Manually changing the receiver number to 14 allows the receiver to bind.

The OpenTX team say it is not an OpenTX problem, so I contacted Frsky but no reply to date. Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

How old is the Tx (in particular the XJT module)?

There is a known problem with early XJT modules (labelled D16HV2) where the S6R only responds to some receiver numbers. I suspect it is related to the unique ID of the XJT.

If you have a much more recent XJT module, then it may be that this problem is re-appearing due to newer unique IDs.

Mike.

I set up the S6R on model slot 29 and bound it. Looking at the model setup it allocated the receiver number to the empty model slot 11.

Out of curiosity I created a new model on model slot 11 and bound an X8R to it. It also gave the slot to receiver number 11.

I then loaded the model created on model 29 and it operated the model on number 11 and vice versa.

Confused?...So am I

Hi Alex I'm not sure how each receiver model is automatically assigned. In fact I think that might be different depending on the version of OpenTx.
If two different models have the same receiver number though, I would expect them to operate each others Rx as well as their own.
Have you checked all the Rx numbers across all your models?

If you read the first part of this thread I had binding problems with my S6R which was one of the reasons I started the topic. I have 2 Taranis transmitters and the oldest one (one of the first) has a different RF board from the only slightly newer one. The receiver bound perfectly with the new one but not at all with the older one.

Sadly, I no longer have the S6R nor the Riot foamie I was using to test it.

I was flying on an almost cloudless autumn day with a low sun and little wind. There was just one cloud that turned out to be a lot lower than I thought. I was flying 2 mistakes high to try out the different modes of control which unfortunately was higher than the cloud and I flew into it! The model re-emerged higher and further away but still in control. Unfortunately it was so far away I simply couldn't orientate. It drifted further down wind until I gave up and it dropped behind some trees. However I can confirm that the range is much, much greater than needed to fly line of sight because I didn't get a 'Telemetry lost' message until it was hidden by the wood.

I had a couple of long walks trying to locate the model but despite the bare trees and having a good idea of the direction it was gone forever .

I must get another sometime.

Geoff

• 8 months later...

There is a new download of firmware for the S6R/S8R available, which a description of "Fix the Bug"!

I've found out that the change is to remove the flashing of the blue Led on power up when in "Quick mode". It seems the Rx didn't start operating while flashing the blue Led, so was slow to recover from a brownout when in "Quick mode".

Mike