4-stroke recommendation

Pete Carpenter

Hi All,

I've been an EP flyer for years but wouldn't mind delving back in to IC for a change. It's all just thinking and research at the moment, and I'm in no rush, but I'm currently leaning towards the Hanger 9 or Seagull Christen Eagle II 90 ARF, simply because it's a lovely looker and I always wanted an RC one as a kid! The H9 one seems to have favourable reviews, and I know it was reviewed by David Ashby in the June 2012 issue.

Anyway, I'd want to go with a four stroke of around 20cc but don't know whether to go with petrol or glow, and then with which engine.

Any thoughts or recommendations to help me out?

Cheers,

Pete

Advert

Choosing between a 20cc (1.20 cu in) petrol or .90 glow motor I'd go glow. The extra weight of the larger engine, ignition unit and associated battery isn't huge for this size, but I prefer the better power to weight and easy installation of a glow setup at this size. Remember a 4 stroke petrol engine of 20cc will only have similar power to a good 4 stroke 15cc glow motor.  A glow motor does need an glow driver for starting, but I've found on-board glow drivers very good and reliable for starting.

I'm sure many would recommend a Laser 100 as the best option, otherwise there's the OS FS90 Surpass II or a Saito equivalent..

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 31/10/2016 09:42:52

A 91 size fourstroke glow engine will struggle with both of the models mentioned, I have an OS120 fs in my Hangar 9 C Eagle. This is a great combination as recommended in the RCM&E review.

If you want a fourstroke Pete then glow is the way to go, twostroke petrol being the alternative 

Edited By Justin K. on 31/10/2016 10:01:46

I thought my ears were burning....

Looking at the model i would recommend the 100 from our range.

The 100 should give a good all round performance but the model is not going to be totally unlimited. That said, i get conflicting weights for the model from differing sites with some saying under 8lbs (seems optimistic) and some saying over 10 (which seems rather fat). I would expect about 9lbs and the 100 would easily manage this. I use the 100 in my 9lb 68'' escapade with no issues at all.

You could use our 120 if you like but the 100 is a slightly more versatile engine. The 120 is also out of production at the moment while i focus on sorting out lead times.

Speaking of which, i regret that they are quite long at the moment but i am working as fast as i can to catch up.

I would have no hesitation in recommending a Laser although you may have a long wait. One of our club members spoke to Jon in the last day or so, nothing until March apparently. Sure he will update us.

Jon on the ball as usual!

Edited By Worden on 31/10/2016 11:07:11

Wow guys, I didn't expect so many responses so soon! Thanks everyone for the input.

So Laser seems to be winning so far then, and thanks Jon for the info straight from the horse's mouth - much appreciated.

Just for the record, my initial thoughts were OS, Laser or Saito but at the risk of rocking the boat there's been no ASP mention yet. I guess there must be a reason for that?!

ASP are fine for the money - I have several ASP/SC engines with no problems other than the odd sub-standard O ring in the carburettor - but you won't have direct access to factory support and the sheer quality of the Laser products. I'd certainly go for the Laser if you're looking at the quality end of the market and with the present fall in the pound, prices must be likely to get even more competitive.

I have my pumped OS 120 mounted inverted & its a very neat set up.

ASP / SC are just Chinese clones of the older OS 120, some swear by them , others at them. In my experience the general poor finish can lead to air leak problems. You pay your money & make your choice.

Andover Models will do you a Saito 125 for around £240 , Fantastic performers I have one in a hangar 9 Sbach , would probably have to go in side mounted due to the tank position but they are very easy on the eye too.

Hi for my two pen'orth For glow engines dont forget YS if you want out and out power followed by Saito or laser then OS . Just my order of preference . They are all quality engines. The YS, my favorite are very powerful ,reliable and quiet engines but do like/need 20% nitro fuel . The YS140 fits the same mounts as a OS 120 . Saito , Laser and OS are also excellent engines and are happy with lower nitro fuel but down on the power of the YS. Lasers are great for scale models ,are quiet very reliable with excellent idle and longevity but at the expense of top end power but are heavier ; this is probably why they are very reliable as their parts are strong.

As for SC, ASP or Magnum I would never buy another from new . They regularly show up at club meets and have poor performance and idle due to poor compression . This is due to the heads distorting and valves leaking . Occasionally a good one can be seen but best to avoid unless its a good secondhand example that you have seen running. As said they are cheap chinese copies of Os motors  and you get what you pay for .

I cant comment on petrol four strokes as I have not flown them and read varying reports and only use two stroke petrol at present.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 31/10/2016 11:40:29

I have a couple of ASP FS120s, they run fine and support is available from the UK importer Just Engines. The carbs may not be as sophisticated as more expensive brands. It all depends on your budget, premium are Laser, OS and Saito, budget options are Thunder Tiger, ASP ans SC, though ASP and SC are the same engine with different brands for different importers.

Nice pic Justin, thanks. Yep, I can definitely see that going in my hanger in the foreseeable!

I must say budget is a bit of an issue Bob, but I've got time to save - and perhaps Father Christmas might help me out with the overall project

I'm in Salisbury so only half an hour or so from Just Engines, and Andover too for that matter. Spoilt for choice now!

Posted by Engine Doctor on 31/10/2016 11:35:11:

Lasers are great for scale models ,are quiet very reliable with excellent idle and longevity but at the expense of top end power but are heavier

My heart sinks when i read comments like this. Not because of the comment itself but because our historical 'marketing' has left so many people with the wrong idea about our engines.

Laser's can be used in sport or scale applications with no issues. I used our 150 in a hangar 9 pulse with no problem, i have the 100 in the excapade, 2 70's in another H9 Pulse modified into a twin and used the 155 prototypes in a wot4 xl. We even hav a chap using a 155 for 3d in an eflite beast!

Some of our engines like the 180 were aimed mainly at scale, and thats true, but you could use in in a sport model if you wanted. Its good up to 8500rpm which is plenty for a big engine like that.

As for power and weight some of our engines are heavier than their japanese counterparts (especially the older spec engines from the early 90's), but how often has anyone thrown their hands up in the air because their model is nose heavy? Given that the beefier construction gives very significantly improved crash resistance and strength its well worth it. In the case of comparing our 155 to OS's ours is 50g heavier which is not signifcant in a model that size. As for power, our 80 will easily match an OS alpha 81 when using 5% less nitro, our 155 will run 18x8 props at rpms which give certain 180's something to think about. I have also had an email from a chap in the USA who says that his 360v outpaces his OS GT55 petrol and a number of guys have commented on how our 180 will thrash the NGH38 (although reported performance for the 38 varies wildly!)

So ED im not criticising you at all, just the fact that we shot ourselves in the foot some years ago and are yet to recover!

As for YS, they are stupidly powerful but are a super faff to operate. 20% nitro fuel aint cheap either so while they are super motors for those who know how, i wouldnt recommend them to most club modellers.

I was put off Saitos a little after seeing the importer's response to a fractured crankpin on a clubmate's little used 150 that was barely a year old. A full price repair was all that was offered.

Contrast that with the free repair of a second hand (unused) OS that had been supplied to a different clubmate several years earlier. It had a faulty camshaft (machining error) and in the full knowledge of its history, Ripmax stated that there was no time limit on manufacturing defects. I've no direct experience other than a verbal assurance from Neil Tidey but I understand that Jon's after sales service for Lasers would be similar.

Edited By Martin Harris on 31/10/2016 13:44:02

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the engines mentioned, we all bull the particular brands up that we use as a preference, and there's plenty myth attached to all brands, it's just human nature, Y.S i think they're great motors, i love all the pumped engines, i don't understand the idea that they're a faff or they're only for F3A models which i've often heard said, they do slurp a bit of fuel though.

I don't own an NGH 4 stroke but the two i've seen at the club have impressed me, they sound superb but it's early days on the reliability of them...looking good so far though.

John