Destiny, My new design.

Posted by Peter Miller on 13/09/2017 19:48:55:

Your local office supply shop or EBay which is cheaper

Thanks Peter, the shortest I can see on eBay or Amazon is 11mm which I guess will do just fine. In wildest Cornwall on holiday so I will look at a stationers when I get home.

I will be building one. A couple of modifications I will make, one, a fit a bigger engine, a OS 70FS or a SC 61 four stroke, as this has a smaller case and using two mini servos for the ailerons and not a dated single servo and push-rod/bell crank assembly - gives better resolution, mixing and redundancy - also helps to use one of my many spare mini servos up.

Might get the woodpack this time, as although like cutting the ribs out, it takes ages. Does SLEC do one now?

Posted by Focae on 14/09/2017 19:23:26:
Posted by Peter Miller on 13/09/2017 19:48:55:

Your local office supply shop or EBay which is cheaper

Thanks Peter, the shortest I can see on eBay or Amazon is 11mm which I guess will do just fine. In wildest Cornwall on holiday so I will look at a stationers when I get home.

Sorry, I looked at mine an realised that they were longer than 6 mm. 11 mm will be about right.

I use diagonal cutters to get them out but sometimes the head comes of. The diagonal cutters can grip the bit of pin left to pull it out.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 14/09/2017 21:30:13:

I will be building one. A couple of modifications I will make, one, a fit a bigger engine, a OS 70FS or a SC 61 four stroke, as this has a smaller case and using two mini servos for the ailerons and not a dated single servo and push-rod/bell crank assembly - gives better resolution, mixing and redundancy - also helps to use one of my many spare mini servos up.

Might get the woodpack this time, as although like cutting the ribs out, it takes ages. Does SLEC do one now?

Ye Gods, the man is power madlaugh Well it does look like a racer.. I find that my reactions have slowed down so the slower models are easier for me to fly.

SLEC cut a set for me so I know that they can do them for you. I am not sure if the have updated the set for the RCM&E plan but the only difference is the R-2 should be made from liteply. The rferason for that is that on my model I had the undercarriage plug in against R-1 which is under the planking as I realised too late. By moving it out as per the magazine plane it is clear of the planking.

I did mention it to a chap at SLEC but not sure if they will have had time to change that.

Yes,I am dated but I don't care. I like the servo that way.

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/09/2017 08:26:23

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have now converted Destiny to electric power. I used the motor and ESC etc as specified by 4-Max.

The first take off was terrifying. Straight into a vertical climb that just went on UP.

I must admit that I was shaken.

I added 6 ounces of lead in the nose plus a small belly intake for the ESC

Today it was much more civilised  and performed aerobatics beautifully. Not as wild as some of my designs but much more like precision Manouvres.  The power was much better than on the original OS FS40 Surpass.

Thanks Graham

I have to say that it is one of, no, is THE nicest that I have ever designed.

It takes  a lot of time and patience but is worth the effort.

It flies in a very steady way but responds instantly and smoothly to the controls

Yesterday I was going multiple vertical rolls.

I have the PDF files of the drawings and SLEC cut out my parts so that makes life easier for anyone who wants to build it.

• 1 month later...