Destiny, My new design.

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 21/11/2016 19:28:28:

That looks excellent Peter, it would certainly pass for a scale model. To say that it's not bad for three weeks work is something of an understatement!

To say it's an understatement is an understatement You work very quickly, Peter but it doesn't show. It looks like months of work, as it would be for me.

So, now the big decision - what's the scheme going to be?

Geoff

Good question, Geoff.

I could easily project some kind of scheme like the Macchi M-39 that brought a few of the Schneider Cup medals to Italian ace Mario de Bernardi. surprise

debernardi_macchi_m.39.jpg

Mmhhh... feeling a bit like having the erudition of Colin now... angel

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 21/11/2016 21:14:41

Thanks folks, Actually I do work fast....too fast but I average three hours a day.

I prefer the central servo for two reasons. I like to keep the wing tips light because A) it improves the precision of stopping and starting rolls. B) in the event of a thump the less weight out at the tips the less inertial.

Now I will accept that probably the inertia would not make too much difference and I acknowledge that really my flying would probably (Certainly) not notice the difference between servo and bellcrank but it is just the way that I do things.

After all, full size aircraft often had lots of bellcranks in my day!!!! I have checked and greased enough of them.

The cowl could be modded as a battery hatch quite easily and reduced in size a fair bit.

I have four colours, Blue, white, red and yellow. Not quite sure but red, white and blue are favourite.

Overall red is not going to happen.

Feeling rather irritated this evening. I spent an awful lot of time sanding the fuselage with Permagrit, assorted grades of sand paper on block and by hand. right down to 600 grit.

Held the thing up to the light until may arms ached. It looked perfect.

Covered it today with white carefully ironed down and guess what. at certain angles the planks are visitble. Not sure if it is the glue in the seams or the heat from the iron.

In the old days I would have used dope and tissue and that would have worked perfectly.

Oh well, you won't be able to see it at a few feet at 50 mph.

• 2 weeks later...

des flt4.jpgdes flt3 .jpgdes flt2.jpgYIPPEEEEE.

Today I got Destiny flight tested. IT goes like a dream. After I had flown her I handed over to the firned who flies for the camera while another friend took the flying shots.

He agreed that it is nice and he trzied his best to make her bite. NO CHANCE. Doesn'tmatter what you do, take your fingers off the sticks and she goes straight and into normal flight.

Edited By Peter Miller on 11/12/2016 18:33:01

Posted by Trevor Crook on 13/11/2016 08:05:22:

Peter, don't worry about us sparkies, we'll always find a way - my Ballerina is great with EP. Plus, if we want a sleeker look we can leave off the cylinder head hump. I'll reserve judgement on that until I see your finished prototype. Removing the hump could ruin the character, plus it looks a great location for the ESC.

Yes if you remove that hump, you will give a lot of modelers the hump too ,

But you could use it to cool the ESC.

Steve

You're certainly not losing your touch, Peter. I think Destiny may be even prettier than the Ballerina and I love my Ballerina. Brilliant covering scheme, too.

I will build one some day if/when you publish the plans but ... Mew Gull, 3-Way and Cirrus Moth are in the queue and there's the small matter of the indoor SE5a to say nothing of my regrettable laziness

Geoff