F3A / 3D cross from reliable manufacturer ?

Hi all

I am an intermediate skill level pilot with experience with acrowot, and stinger edf. Looking to purchase next model that is suited to F3A style but capable of 3D manoeuvres. Want something that really grooves, for example when flying inverted doesn't require any (or very little) up stick to maintain the same altitude, and has lots of control authority (especially rudder), as my acrowot has neither of these attributes. Also lots of vertical power. My budget is £350 max for ARTF airframe. I already own 3S, 4S and 8S lipos so something using these would be best. Looking for something fairly large, maybe span of 1500mm or thereabouts. Any recommendations that fit the bill from good quality reliable manufacturer ? Seen a few models such as Fliton Inspire that look like the right sort of pattern.

Many thanks

Paul

Advert

Thanks guys, they all look like good options. I have also been looking into biplanes. If I could find a model that ticked all 3 boxes - F3A, 3D and biplane then that would be great. Question is if a F3A biplane is too much to handle for an intermediate flyer?

I'm looking for a plane that will enable me to become more confident and progress my skill level. (less money in the air usually makes me more confident ! )

What would quality be like for £350 ? can I get good quality for less ?

One other question, does a larger model mean more stability? Is a larger model easier to fly ?

Edited By Paul Turner 2 on 05/11/2016 12:02:57

Edited By Paul Turner 2 on 05/11/2016 12:07:17

I think these tick all of the boxes. Choice of either wood or composite 5s-6s

Edited By chris Bond - Bondaero on 05/11/2016 13:20:05

Edited By chris Bond - Bondaero on 05/11/2016 13:22:09

Edited By chris Bond - Bondaero on 05/11/2016 13:25:56

Edited By chris Bond - Bondaero on 05/11/2016 13:33:26

Sebart are so light they are capable of 3d but not to the extent you can go mad. Extreme flight are popular for both but you need to be very careful with the landings as they are fragile. The angel was great and in my view better than the wind s. Stronger and slightly lighter.

Most 60 sized ( 5-6 cell) models will also be dependent on the weather and won't like a breeze.

i would recommend the angel with a 6 cell set up. Dumfries Models import them and they won't disappoint.

angel 50 is 6s lipo,

you could buy 3s packs and double them to make a 6s, but also use them in any airframe that take a 3s pack.

I have an angel 30, and use 3s and 4s packs, just change prop to suit which way I want to fly on the day, or what the wind is like.

with all the 4s packs you already have, get an angel 30, you wont be dissapointed

also have a look at some of the Precision Aerobatics stuff

Edited By sgwlm on 05/11/2016 23:56:59

I also agree with Colin and sgwlm re the Angel 30 as an excellent choice.

It's a dream to fly and has no bad habits whatsoever. A tad fragile in places but as long as it's treated with some due care shouldn't be a problem. I fly mine on 4S as my motor is a little short on power on 3S.

I too had doubts about the linkages too, both on the Ange,l and the Shark from Sebart and my intention was to change them. But, they've stood the test of time and proved to be fine. I do agree however, that the alternatives shown in the pics above would be a more secure option if one was so inclined.

One thing to remember Paul is that trimming is an essential part of sorting out an aerobatic airframe - actually, any airframe! The single most powerful trimming tool is the CG position. For the Angel, having to exert a small push on the elevator when inverted is about right. As you won't have any adjustable incidence on the Angel the only other solution is to resort to mixing to get, for example, a true vertical down line hands off. Mix a small amount of elevator, usually down, with fully closed throttle. Make sure that you adjust motor thrust line to give as true a vertical climb as possible and the up/down thrust to eliminate any nose up/down pitching with application of power.