Design & Build FW 200 Condor / Syndicato

Robert Parker

Colin

The 200 is not for you, you know it.

Yours is the far more elegant De havilland Albatross, I for one will be holding my holding breath. Please be quick.

As for the 200, well gob smacked is my response. To some extant the bits and pieces some modelers have to hand, is reassuring to me. I had thought, i purchased a little to much, just in case, as spares etc. Now I know i am very frugal.

Thank goodness for the Roberts, as they show what can be done, with application, tenacity, and a good smattering of craftsmanship.

Erfolg, I have to say that shapely though the DH Albatross may have been, it was actually a dog. The Gypsy twelves were far too heavy, one of the reasons that the similarly attractive Don was also a dog. Structurally suspect as well, with limited and cramped accommodation. When you look at what Douglas was doing in the USA at the time, it makes you wonder what we were playing at. The Condor/Kurier was in a different league and surprisingly successful in its military form, even though not built to combat structural strength standards.

DH built some wonderful planes, look at the Mosquito, but the great Bill Gunston did say many years ago that they had a propensity for building planes that fell apart in the air. Sadly, there is some truth in that.

Thanks both for the kind words.

Hi All,

I have been busy today working on the Condor, the 3 of the 5 wing braces are in place as is the webbing to the centre section. I have not taken any photos as yet.

I have also started repairing my Wellington which had an un-scheduled arrival mid-week. I did consider at first to scrapping it, but after getting home and leaving it for a couple of hours it did not look that bad.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Top sheeting fitted and 3 dihederal braces fitted. I fitted one in the centre as well as the bottom spars are butt jointed and I don't want this condor flapping it's wings.

dsc09471.jpg

I had an idea earlier today whilst shopping in my local supermarket, whilst looking for shampoo for myself I noticed some other hair care products on the shelf and I thought to myself, if I can't decrease the size of the nacelle what about increasing the diameter of the cowl. It just happened I had my tape measure on me (just called to the builders merchants for a new fence post) so I measured a few bottles and made a note of their various sizes. I did get a few odd looks from other customers whilst measuring the bottles.

On getting home I checked what I had intended using and compared to the bottles sizes that I had measured earlier. An own brand of shampoo was 4mm bigger in diameter which means I could still get the effect I want without any further alterations. Cost of 4 bottles of own brand shampoo at 50p each, that's four cowls for £2!!! that's even cheaper than the soap bottles I've been collecting. Not too sure what to do with so much cheap shampoo when I buy them.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Colin the DH Albatross could well have been handicapped by its engines, although it always seems to be the case that the role and importance of the engines available to a designer is seldom recognised as being crucial, to any success and often the prime cause of many failures or disappointments.

From a modelling perspective a representation of the DH Albatross would be great.

In this case it is the Fw 200 Condor, again a very attractive full size aircraft. Very much made possible by support via Lufthansa and probably indirectly the German state.

As for this model, well, how can i not be impressed at both model and its constructor.

When completed I am sure i will be even more impressed, than I am todate.

It is strange that the likes of the Lockheed Super constellation, Boeing Stratoliner, as well as the Bristol Britannia look so much more attractive than todays Airbus and current Boeings.

Erfolg, DH were determined to use their own engines wherever possible and it compromised their designs at times. It was the same story with the Comet and although the "metal fatigue" issue was the cover story, the truth was that determination to use the DH Ghost with only 5,000 lbs thrust instead of using the RR Avon that already gave 6,500 lbs and was available to fly in 1949 caused drastic weight saving, including the use of fuselage skins of only 18swg, seeming unbelievable now. That was the underlying factor in the Comet 1 disasters. The Albatross didn't achieve very much and didn't last very long, I know that they suffered from rapid airframe deterioration. It would make an interesting model but I don't think I will be doing it. Over to you? I prefer the Condor.

Hi Both,

I had not heard of the DH Albatross before, so I Googled it, what a very sleek looking design. Whilst looking at the "images" I found that someone has modelled it at 4m span using 4 1000w motors in Germany. The structure looks amazing, whoever made it has a great deal of skill and engineering knowledge.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

I have not done a great deal to the Condor over the last couple of days, as I have been carrying out repairs on my Wellington and preparing for flight my Catalina.

I could not resist cutting out the wing seat now that the centre section was now sheeted

dsc09475.jpg

I think I'm going to need a pilot and co-pilot in that cockpit looks a bit bare to me.

I have also purchased a cowl just to see if it all works out before blowing out the remaining £1.50 on them. the bottle is quite stiff now empty I was concerned that being a "value" range, the bottle would not be up to the job and be too flimsy.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

I done a bit more to the Condor today,

The wing seating is now at the correct angle, another dry fitting of the inner nacelles and I have joined one of the outer panels to the centre section.

dsc09479.jpg

With the aircraft inverted, I thought it would be easier to ease and adjust the wing seating with a third of the wing rather than trying to handle the full wing. The cowl is the first smaller soap dispenser bottle.

dsc09480.jpg

Front view

Next I'll fit the other wing panel and start sheeting the wing.

that's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Just a quick update.

To start off with I must admit that I have had a couple of distractions in the way of other models being readied for flight which is taking longer than I thought and is still on going, one of which has been in the attic for over 10 years waiting for it's maiden and today I changed all the servos as a couple of them were behaving erratically when I connected them to the receiver and gave myself a telling off for doing a poor job on the control linkages and push rods. And I thought I all I needed to do was fit a battery and put in a 2.4 receiver and check the balance.

Back to the Condor, the wings are now joined and top sheeted, that was the easy bit. Problems came to light with the nacelles which I have struggled with and had to re-make three sides, finally tonight after some thinking and slight alterations here and there all of the nacelle sides have been glued in place and all alignedsmiley. Sometimes it's better to get involved in another plane for a while and the problems just seem to solve themselves with a clear mind.

Earlier today I fitted the ply plates and captive nuts and aligned the wings all square and true smiley.

I have also ordered a couple of pilots.

I took some pictures this evening but they were not good enough to post so I'll take some tomorrow in daylight.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Thank you D.D. for your comments

Hi All,

As promised I took a couple of photos today and as the sun was shining where better to take them in the garden.

Since taking the photos I have now cut the grass it needed to be done.

dsc09486.jpg

The Condor basking in the early spring sunshine, starting to look like an airliner now

dsc09487.jpg

I reduced the dihederal on the outer panels by 10mm, still looks too much to me.

dsc09488.jpg

Belly side up, this is where the work is now, servos, cables, retracts and flaps.

I have not done any work on her today as I went flying instead and maidened two aircraft smiley, two aircraft returned home in intact whilst a third had other ideas and wanted the day off and refused to start.

I'm hoping to have a good day on her tomorrow

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

A bit more done over the past couple of days.

Wiring of the wing completed, used more "Y" leads than anticipated. Retracts installed and flaps made,

dsc09609.jpg

Need to tidy them up a bit

dsc09610.jpg

Retracts gluing they are a very snug fit

dsc09611.jpg

Just a couple of millimetres gap.

dsc09612.jpg

Flaps in the deployed position. I'm going to join the inner and out section with a wire fixed one end

dsc09613.jpg

Flaps in the retracted position.

Next, I will hinge the flaps and fit the wire joiner and connect them to the servos and try there operation if all works well I sheet the underside of the wing then on to the nacelles.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

I should try and not say what I'm going to do next.

Over the last few days, I have had several senior moments, a bit early for me perhaps, I have lost the ability to count when ordering materials which has left me short until they remainder arrived, thank you Slec for your prompt delivery. The strangest thing was with the Robart 308 hinges for the flaps, I know I had a full pack of 15 on the shelf they were right there, just the other day now gone vanished in to thin air and despite a very thorough search they were not to be found and I looked every where. I know they are just looking at me.

So I looked around and not wanting a pack of 100 as I only need 8, I bought some on e-bay from the US. The delivery date seemed fine only a few days I thought. After checking the following day I looked at the wrong week thinking next week was this week.

So progress has been slow due to the above.

I have glued the bulkheads in position and planked the top halves of two nacelles and trial fitted two cowls.

dsc09614.jpg

I curved the planking by reducing the rear bulkhead by 1/8th which is just behind the cowls and increasing the diameter of the next nacelle former by 1/16th by wrapping a strip around the former whilst the last former remains unaltered. With the military version they are all the same size. The nearest cowl is the shampoo bottle and the furthest cowl is the soap bottle. Both are lightly spayed black. I think I prefer the shampoo bottle for shape, I do have another soap bottle without the ridge but he too was in hiding at the time.

kl 04-2013 fw 200 condor (01).jpg.6502778.jpg

An the full size cowls, looking at these the shampoo bottle wins.

That's all for now

I cannot foresee doing much over the weekend with it being Mothering Sunday, a little reminder just in casewink

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 24/03/2017 19:14:09

Hi All,

Progress has slowed considerably this week as I have returned to work which after 3 months off has been a bit of a shock to the system. I have been back 4 days and I now feel totally shattered so much for light duties, thrown in at the deep end with an apprentice who actually managed to give my bad shoulder a good whack today, but of course were not allowed to do what I wanted to do to him nowadays so he had a good row which seemed to go in one ear and out the other without actually engaging the brain cell by the expression on his face.

I have done a little to the flaps although it was a case of one step forward two back. My original idea of connecting the two sections with a wire sleeved one side and fixed the other gave a very stiff operation so I have gone over to plan B, adding another servo to the outer section of the flap to each wing, which arrived today.

I hope to work on the Condor over the weekend, I'll keep you all posted

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

I have been plodding along with the flaps I seem to have sorted them out. I have tried half of them and they seem to work OK.

I have skinned both of the outer panels plus fitted the wing tips, and have now got 4 servos working for the flaps. Although I have taken a slight side step with the flaps as I am a little cautious about them warping when I finish them. So I have applied sanding sealer to two of them and a coat of Ploy C which arrived yesterday and so far so good.

I have covered the rudder and elevators in Solartex but before doing that I pinned the hinges so they don't show through the covering.

dsc09655.jpg

Due to the leading edge of the rudder being so thin I have pinned behind it so as not to weaken it.

dsc09658.jpg

All done.

dsc09656.jpg

Mock up of outer flap servo

dsc09657.jpg

Making the additional flap servo hatch.

That's as far as I have progressed to date.

Once the flaps are sorted and warp free I'll sheet the centre section and attack the nacelles.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have finally managed to grab some time on the Condor this last week now that Easter is over and the house painted.

The flaps were a bit of a pain to get right and in the end I cut one right out including the spar it was attached to, and started again, hinges don't like to work in an arc, I managed to built in a slight curve to the spar although not much of a curve once the hinges and flap was installed it would not work smoothly. So out it came and a new one made.

Once that was done I made all the push rods and tried them. connected to RX, switched on tried servos only two working, try again same. Traced it back to "Y" lead, which was not a regular "Y" but a "piggy back"style, I had managed to push the leads the wrong way round. Glad I held off the sheeting.

I can get all 4 flaps operating equally up to 70 degrees. I cannot find any reference on the throw of the full size flaps so I'm going to have to guess it and start off gently say 50 degrees at full flap.

Flaps sorted, I finished off the sheeting to the wings.

dsc09889.jpg

dsc09890.jpg

Next is pins out and lightly sand and then get stuck into the nacelles.

That's all for now regards

Robert

Thank you Erfolg,

The pins shown were a "gift" when I bought a kit on ebay some time ago, there were four packets of them in the kit box. They were made by Flair and are lasting well.

I have used map pins from W.H Smith's, these are good for joining sheet material also available are short pins, although the heads do come off after a couple of uses calling for a pair of pliers to remove the pin.

I try to keep an eye open for modelling resources in non model shops, ie cowls from Tesco's at 50p each with free shampoowink 2.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

I have had a very productive bank holiday weekend. All nacelles planked and sanded, blocks gluing up for the back ends of the nacelles, tail cone block glued up and started soldering the connections of the ESC's until I ran out of solder.

dsc09891.jpg

It is surprising just how many pins get used up in planking reminds me of the half grape fruit wrapped in tin foil with the cheese and onion on cocktail sticks my mum used to do at parties many years ago.

dsc09892.jpg

By this point I had just had about enough of planking

dsc09894.jpg

Finishing off the top side

dsc09895.jpg

Pins out, dust mask on and out with the sandpaper

dsc09896.jpg

Looking a bit like a Lancaster wing from this view of course you have to ignore the nacelles

dsc09897.jpg

I achieved the effect that I was after, a nipped in front end which will look even better with the cowls in place.

I also managed to have a tidy up as well, it was getting more than I could bear.

Next, It's time to shape the end blocks and tail cone by which time I will have got some more solder to carry on with the connections and cut out for the undercarriage and fix them in place.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

A very quick update.

Entire airframe sealed with sanding sealer tonight and the "crew" have just arrived to see how things are progressing and will be keeping a watchful eye on the finishing, thanks to real model pilots.

Some photos to follow soon, once I've given them a coat of paint and briefing.

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

May I introduce to you all Kurt and Hans, the pilot and co-pilot of the Condor.

dsc00056.jpg

dsc00057.jpg

They look a little scary close up, and yes I have noticed that I have not finished off their caps as per photo.

condor crew.jpg

I came across this on the net of the record breaking flight from Berlin to New York and back August 13 1938.

All of the Poly C has now been applied and awaiting to be prepared for painting.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert