Free money...

It may just me me that was ignorant of this (although I do vaguely recall hearing something about this in the past but at the time it didn't apply to my wife and I) but if your spouse doesn't have an income above £11000 p.a. and you're earning more than £11001 - and not in the fortunate position of earning over £43000 then you may be missing out on the Marriage Allowance (it has to be applied for) which could put the price of a good kit in your back pocket (£220) every tax year. You can also get it backdated to the 2015-6 tax year if you qualified for it, for an additional £212 refund...

Basically, your partner may not be using their full tax allowance and the Inland Revenue rules allow them to transfer their unused portion to their spouse (or civil partner) - I'm afraid those living in sin don't qualify!

This is the link to the relevant Gov.uk site - you simply need your partner's National Insurance and Passport numbers (or P60 details) and similar for yourself. It only takes a couple of minutes to apply and the Inland Revenue will adjust your tax code (and send you a cheque if you qualify for the previous year) after confirming your eligibility and entitlement.

Personally, I think it might be possible for this to be publicised better and maybe applied automatically but the government are making some efforts to advertise it - I heard about it on a Talksport radio ad...

P.S. The more senior amongst us (born before 1935) can get a considerably better deal! Details on the site at the bottom of the page linked to.

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/11/2016 00:06:55

Advert

Yup, the Inland Revenue have a sturdy track record of keeping quiet on stuff like this.

However, my accountant, back in those dark and distant days when I was married, knew all about the various tax fiddles and marital advantages which he could employ to offset any tax liabilities.

I still chuckle at the fond memories of the "magic" my accountant performed. . . . Can't say the same about the ex though.

B.C.

I must have a word with my accountant about the washing related claim.

One good one that I was put onto many years ago.

I was asked by the tax man why I had not declared £5 for a photo that I had been paid for. Luckily I was having dealings with an accountant over another matter and mentioned this.

In those days I did not make much from my writing but did spend a lot of modelling.

The result was that my accountant arranged things so I got a tax rebate on my normal work income against the losses from my writing. All modelling expenses counted.

These days I have a brilliant accountant. I go and see him twice a year. We spend 5 minutes talking about my accounts etc and an hour talking aircraft, especially WWI and vintage!

Edited By Peter Miller on 13/11/2016 08:47:06

well done martin...here at ne...1 towers we have claimed this since day one as Mrs A is a lady of leisure...for us it works out at £200 per year...ive told a few of my friends and they have also claimed and got the dosh backdated ....makes a change.....instead of getting fleeced etc...

ken Anderson...ne....1..... financial dept.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have difficulty with the web site (for us it didn't accept current information for the ID check), then the people on the phone with their number listed on the web site are very helpful. I received my revised tax codes yesterday, and I guess a (small) cheque will be on it's way at some time.

I heard this on Classic FM (also part of Global Radio), but why on earth are we paying for this to be on commercial radio, when the BBC are extremely capable of airing adverts - for the BBC...

• 2 weeks later...