1/4 inch square spruce spars,which way up?

Advert

I've just been having a quick google around and it seems that there is "discussion" on this subject in full size circles - it's a given that the grain runs along the spar but opinions vary about the grain (end on) variation between vertical and horizontal. The vertical grain exponents say it's stronger in resisting bending and the horizontal advocates say it's more likely to fail due to grain splitting from any excessive torsional loads...

Bottom line is that, as several posters have suggested, good quality spruce should be more than adequate whichever way it's fitted. Just don't do what the builder of a part built/covered 1/4 scale Cub I bought did and drill them for the lift strut fittings!

Yes - I did redesign the fittings when I rebuilt the model!

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/11/2016 12:59:27

Oh dear...!

Strangely, the previous owner was a quite experienced (although sadly departed) and well respected modeller. The model was being built in partnership with another deceased and very experienced member (although I'm told they fell out over some radio installation and colour issues) so I don't know who was actually responsible for that aspect. Perhaps I should have been wary when I found the engine (which was going to be an OS160 twin, the outline of its backplate was imprinted into the firewall - I used an ASP clone) which had been taken back after the disagreement by the other member, had been mounted an inch or more below the correct thrust line!

It's not all bad news though as it's been one of my favourite models for a number of years, since rebuilding the result of the in-flight spar failure on an early flight and covering it in the "proper" colour scheme. It rolled uncontrollably but I somehow managed to delay the "touchdown" until it was the right way up and disappearing behind the clubhouse!

Although it's hard to believe, the pilot was unharmed and after being extracted still flies it to this day!

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/11/2016 14:49:15

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 20/11/2016 14:24:04:

I wouldn't have a problem drilling through the spar but it would need some sort of doubler plate either side of the spar. 1/16 ply would be sufficient I would have thought.

On the sig kit, are the wings cantilever or are the struts load bearing?

I don't know about the SIG but my struts (Premier Models kit) are most definitely load bearing. Funnily enough, your suggestion is pretty much the method I adopted to reinforce the existing and repaired sections with the mounting holes on the neutral axis midway between the top and bottom spars.

Thanks.

I don't have any experience of the SIG version but a little googling suggests they are. It was very obvious with mine as the wings slot on to relatively thin piano wire stubs which are obviously insufficient to prevent bending - and the struts retain the wings as well. Which means that negative G manouevres are as per full size - verboten!

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/11/2016 19:07:48