Who remembers these ?

kevin b

I have been asked by a club member if I can identify these models, all built around 1950-52.

les 2.jpg

Fortunately I am not old enough to remember what they are. devil

Can anybody out there help please ?

They appear to be a club "mass build" and the front one is sporting a MAP logo on its tail.

les 1.jpg

As far as I can gather they were all built from plans.

Thanks.

kevin b.

Advert

Great stuff fellas.

I will check with him to see if it rings any bells.

The photo was taken on Salisbury Plain and used in Aeromodeller in the club section.

We aren't quite sure which issue, but it was before 1953 and after 1950.

Looks like I probably have another build to do !

kevin b.

Great photos.

Without wishing to hijack the thread, I think these Ben Buckle / vintage type models are fantastic!.

I have got a Joe Elgin Playboy, which I have flown for over ten years, and am running next years club vintage comps. (Time & Glide, Touch and Goes & Precision). They really have stood the test of time. How many of the current crop of ARTF's will still be being produced in 70 years time?. Ok,they need a bit of head scratching / effort to put together, but by and large they are relaxing to fly and are big enough to see at a distance. Love 'em!.

The Buzzard Bombshell plan is here on Outerzone -actually there are 3 different plans if you search. All are 72 inch though so presumably Peter is going to produce his own plan for a smaller version at 62 inch. Look forward to seeing that!

Anyone building a Southerner 60 or Mite might like to know that laser cut ribs are available here. Handy because it's a tapered wing. Lots of ribs for vintage and other designs available there too.

Posted by kevin b on 20/11/2016 21:09:57:

Great stuff fellas.

I will check with him to see if it rings any bells.

The photo was taken on Salisbury Plain and used in Aeromodeller in the club section.

We aren't quite sure which issue, but it was before 1953 and after 1950.

Looks like I probably have another build to do !

kevin b.

If you live near enough to Leicester and have the time available during normal office hours (M-F), you can ask to spend some time in the BMFA Library/Archives. There is a full set of Aeromodeller from that era - actually Ron Moulton's copy which he bequeathed to the Society.

Posted by kc on 21/11/2016 10:59:42:

Anyone building a Southerner 60 or Mite might like to know that laser cut ribs are available here. Handy because it's a tapered wing. Lots of ribs for vintage and other designs available there too.

I've bought a couple of part sets from iGull (KK Senator and Foss Phase 5). Superbly cut and presented. Recommended!