Johns Skywriter....will it be spelt correctly ?

Hi John, mine is the same, a very slight curve upwards around F6F7, I cut my formers from the plan. Two explanations, 1. I'm lousy at cutting formers accurately, probably truesmiley or 2. Lindsay did it deliberately to avoid the possible 'starved horse' appearance if it was dead straight. However not enough to worry about.

Good choice. I will use its smaller brother. The 3542 800kv. That runns at 6000'rpm with a 4cell lipo and an11x7 prop. Just under 500W and is very quiet. Have used that on the Ballerina and a 60' Avistar. It combines very well with a turnigy AE regulator. I use the AE-45. Runs cool wil gentle acroflying

Lucas

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good and very impressed with the build quality. I do plan on building the Skywriter but we could be moving house in the next couple of months so there is a ban on any new building for now. I think I would have to either get the laser kit or cut out all of the formers and parts before I started building. Having to stop to do fiddly formers and stinger slots is a real motivation killer!

Nice building John, love the weights on the wing! Is the wooden bowl made from lignum vitae?smiley. My build is substantially complete just all those it'll only take a minute jobs. I've fitted the U/C mount so I thought I'll fit the lower wing bolt assembly. Ah ha the fuselage side view shows the bolt going through the wing slightly ahead of the wing bolt reinforcing block which is attached to the sub trailing edge spar. Turning to the lower wing drawing the bolt hole is quite clearly and firmly through the trailing edge. My thought is to go through the TE, it is reinforced with ply so should be adequately strong. The position shown on the fuselage will work equally but the reinforcing block in the wing isn't that big and clearly not a good idea to drill through the TE sub spar. Fellow MB ers thoughts?

Martin, I noticed that discrepancy too. The trailing edge is only glued to the rest of the wing with a not too big glue line at the front so the location on the fuselage drawing must be the correct one.

I place the wing bolts (2 to avoid the join between the wings) between the aft spar and the inner trailing edge. I put 2x2cm squares of 1.5mm ply inside of the lower sheeting and filled up the space to the upper sheeting with soft balsa. This way the bolts will not crush the wing.

If you have all sheeting in place on the lower wing I would drill the hole through the TE very close to the spar and use an external ply plate that extends from the aft of the TE to the front of the reinforcment block as draw on the plan. That should keep things in place I would think.

Lucas

Lucas, that was my conclusion too. The ply reinforcement in that area will strengthen the TE/TE sub spar joint anyway and a small piece of ply on the upper surface of the wing will provide some extra support. I was going to use two wing bolts as well, either M4 or M5 nylon bolts. Although I did have one model where the wing bolts were 4BA simply threaded into a hardwood block and it never failed, much to my surprise.