Mick Reeves Hawker Hurricane Circa 84 Onwards The Big One.

Can anyone please help me. I am building a Mick Reeves Hurricane 80 inch w/s. However I am puzzeled by the placement of No 1 fuel tank . No 2 The fitting of the plastic part underneath .No 3 The placement of the One 64 inch ply wing fairings. The kit came with the usual instruction sheet that was typical of Mick Reeves kits of the time. If anyone has any tips or photos of there build anything would be welcome. Thanks.

Advert

HI Sean

Mine has a round tank and its position was governed by the round aperture in F2 which supported the rear of the tank. There was the an additional small liteply piece to take the tank bunk (which was held by small BA bolts)this was positioned and glued just behind F1,at a distance to allow the rear of the tank to be supported in F2.The 1/64 ply is to act as the base of the vac formed wing fillets. I assume the plastic part you refer to underneath is the bottom fusalage fairing which will need you to make some formers to fit to allow you to make it into a hatch.

Circa 1984? Did Mick change the design at that time - if not, they were around a long time before then as I had one sometime around 1976! Sadly, I didn't ever finish building it as I stopped model flying in 1977 to concentrate on gliding and I can't recall to many details of the construction from 40 odd years ago - I suddenly feel very old writing that!

dsc03379.jpgdsc03380.jpgretracts..jpgHi Sean,

Until recently I had one of these that I built some years ago. Ive attached a couple of pics hopefully. I had a few problems with the tank as it kept leaking by unscrewing itself so in the end I modifies the bulkhead and fitted a Slec tank after fitting some bearers for it to sit on. I powered mine with an sc 180 fs but still had to move the batteries into the cowl to get it to balance without having to put a church roof on it. I must admit it was a bit too big for our strip landing was always a challenge. It eventually met its end when the motor quit and it turned into a brick. I still have and fly regularly the sport spit and this flies realhurricane1.jpgly well

Posted by Percy Verance on 03/12/2016 13:45:12:

I think there were some design changes a while after the kit originally went on sale. If I recall correctly, Mick's original used one of the (then newly introduced) Enya 2.40 V twin engines.

That's not an engine I've ever come across - was that 2.4 cubic inches?!? 2 or 4 stroke?

Our expectations of suitable engine have changed over the years - mine would have been destined to fly on what was the biggest engine I'd ever owned (or seen at that time) - a quite frankly intimidating at the time OPS 60...(I didn't have an electric starter then). Mick made me a silencer for it so he must have thought there was some chance of it dragging it off the ground although it was never put to the test. Fast forward quarter of a century and I put it in a Pegasus Hurricane (only 63" span but no lightweight) which it flew reasonably well although I did have to prop it up a bit and add a secondary silencer to get it through our noise test...

Posted by Martin Harris on 03/12/2016 18:45:41:
Posted by Percy Verance on 03/12/2016 13:45:12:

I think there were some design changes a while after the kit originally went on sale. If I recall correctly, Mick's original used one of the (then newly introduced) Enya 2.40 V twin engines.

That's not an engine I've ever come across - was that 2.4 cubic inches?!? 2 or 4 stroke?

you are dead to me Martin. The VT 240 is an awesome beast, how can you not know about it!

Anyway I used to have one of these hurricanes. Flew well at 14lbs and powered by my Laser 120 (an enya 240 would tear it apart I'm sure). I ditched the naff plastic thing under the nose and made it from wood instead. I also invented my own wing fairings. As for the fuel tank I lowered it right down to suit the laser. I have some photos somewhere, I will try and find them in the depths of my hard drive

Does that mean you aren't going to build me that 200V now, Jon?

I'd imagine I missed it because it didn't come out until the mid 80s while I was doing other things - if so it couldn't have been in Mick's original Hurricane...

While I had (in fact still have) several small capacity Enyas in the mid 70s, I've only encountered a couple of single cylinder 4 stroke Enyas since getting back into model flying around the turn of the century. They are beautifully made (as was the 240 if the article I've just found is anything to go by). I have wondered why they haven't rivalled OS and Saito more - obviously they can't hold a candle to Lasers - perhaps it's just the conservative nature of most modellers?

The 200's are not a million miles away, I need to finish another 10 or so engines and then I am on to the 200's. I am trying to get everything clear by christmas

As for enya vs the rest I agree that they have never competed with OS or saito and the only reason I can think of is price and availability. Noone other than Steve Webb has them, their prices are higher than their competitors and I think that is what has done it. A shame as they are very good engines.

by the way, if anyone has an enya vt240 in any condition let me know