Here we go again

fly boy3

Advert

I don't break rules or fly irresponsibly, but in most environments of background noise, they hardly know you are there, when flying electric. If I test fly to trim or modify, and I don't want to travel all the way to the club field, I go to the park, early morning or late evening, and no one is there, and I will always do that for the rest of my life, having supported this economy since I left school, like most of us. Apologies, but I will not stop using the park.

It's interesting that councils/authorities are placing their own restrictions on multirotas as a knee jerk reaction to their perceived dangers without knowing the current law as laid out as part of CAP.

It's also interesting that model aircraft are not featured, purely multirota....that says more about traditional model aircraft being seen as less of a threat than MR.

A sign of the times and the media hype perhaps?

Posted by Denis Watkins on 06/12/2016 17:47:14:

I don't break rules or fly irresponsibly, but in most environments of background noise, they hardly know you are there, when flying electric. If I test fly to trim or modify, and I don't want to travel all the way to the club field, I go to the park, early morning or late evening, and no one is there, and I will always do that for the rest of my life, having supported this economy since I left school, like most of us. Apologies, but I will not stop using the park.

yes The powers that be seem to forget who pays their wages.

Hmm... so the council say they want to ban "drones". But, if they go ahead, what will they actually end up banning?

The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) have already said in the explanation of their own proposed new regulations, "We had several attempts to make a definition that could accurately separate classical ‘model aircraft’ from unmanned aircraft. This has proven difficult as a ‘model aircraft’ is indeed an unmanned aircraft, and the variety of model aircraft goes far beyond manually controlled fixed wing aircraft. As we could not identify a satisfactory definition..."

Now you would hope that EASA know rather more about aviation than a local authority in Wales, so whilst Denbighshire's aim might be to ban "remote-controlled drones" I don't reckon they'll find it any easier than EASA did in defining their target. So if they get their way I don't think it will only be multirotors that get grounded there.

Edited By John Privett on 06/12/2016 20:37:17

What grinds my gears is this. When the skateboard craze started, lots of damage was caused to public paths, kerbs, balustrades, steps, etc.

Did Councils ban skateboards? Like hell they did - they went out and spent public money constructing skateboard parks!

Well what about providing drone parks? (or any-type-of-model-aircraft parks!)

Perhaps we should all be even more delinquent?!

Well, I don't know about you chaps, but I'm still waiting for the hoardes of drones to appear in the skies. I use our local parks and open spaces for walking quite regularly, including many miles of coastline, and in the past three years or so I've only seen two drones in use.

First was a couple of teenagers having some fun flying a small MR on football pitches, and second was one being flown from a large back garden in open countryside. I've never seen anyone with a parkflyer foamy type model.

Doesn't mean to say that they're not there at all, but the 'problem' is being massively overstated. How many confirmed reports are there of a nuisance being caused by an individual outside of a club environment with any type of flying model in a public open space?

Edited By Cuban8 on 07/12/2016 07:54:05

Cuban8 : ''Doesn't mean to say that they're not there at all, but the 'problem' is being massively overstated. How many confirmed reports are there of a nuisance being caused by an individual outside of a club environment with any type of flying model in a public open space? ''

Absolutely true and I join to your attitude .

Posted by Cuban8 on 07/12/2016 07:50:29:

Well, I don't know about you chaps, but I'm still waiting for the hoardes of drones to appear in the skies. I use our local parks and open spaces for walking quite regularly, including many miles of coastline, and in the past three years or so I've only seen two drones in use.

First was a couple of teenagers having some fun flying a small MR on football pitches, and second was one being flown from a large back garden in open countryside. I've never seen anyone with a parkflyer foamy type model.

Doesn't mean to say that they're not there at all, but the 'problem' is being massively overstated. How many confirmed reports are there of a nuisance being caused by an individual outside of a club environment with any type of flying model in a public open space?

Edited By Cuban8 on 07/12/2016 07:54:05

+1 thumbs up

BEB

Surely we should be condemning the forum member who seems to be saying he will break the law because it suits him!

He said " I go to the park, early morning or late evening, and no one is there, Iwill always do that for the rest of my life, having supported this economy since I left school, like most of us. Apologies, but I will not stop using the park."

This is exactly the attitude that will get ALL model flying banned. We must insist that our fellow aeromodellers fly within the law even if we don't like the law.

Edited By kc on 07/12/2016 11:03:23

Well kc - I think "condemn" is perhaps a little harsh!

But yes - as we have said before on here - it would be very unwise of us to protray ourselves as a group of people prepared to break the law because we don't agree with it. That way we just descend to the same lavel as the other law breakers.

Most certainly this forum does not support or endorse such strategies.

BEB

Pretty much the only way that 'bad' law gets changed in this (or any) country is by breaking it. Law makers have a duty to the public to ensure that laws are just and fit for purpose and to act as a moderating brake on the 'ban everything' brigade (modellers are usually a conservative lot and tend to fall into this category...) Failure to oppose bad law leads to tyranny, which usually leads to bloody revolution (cf France 1789; Russia 1905/1917)

The negative reaction to 'drones' i.e. multicopters seems entirely due to their military/surveillance connotations and camera-carrying capabilities (which is why I'm surprised there isn't more of an outcry over the Investigatory Powers Act a.k.a. snoopers charter - another bad law).

Perhaps if 'drone' flyers are confronted by irate members of the public, they should respond with "if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about!!"