Electric conversion C of G position

Simple question regarding an electric conversion of a IC model.

I assume that the C of G position on an IC model is determined with the model empty of fuel, but otherwise fully built. This would then give it a (safe) slightly nose down balance when fuel is added and ensure that as fuel is burnt off the model never ends up with a rearward C of G.

If then doing an electric conversion which generally will leave the C of G in the same position all the time (ignoring the slight variation of different battery weights), should you just ensure that the C of G of the built and battery fitted model is at the designed point or slightly forward?

Advert

I would beg to differ. I am increasingly finding that I really have to fine tune the CofG on planes designed for IC and running on electric. Mostly using the CofG on the plan seems to be OK, but with nearly all my planes, that fine tuning moves the CofG back slightly, with the only difference being in the flare out on landing which is much improved.

I have not found a plane where the CofG moves forward, but several where moving it back slightly improves low speed handling. I suppose you can tweak it more accurately with electric as the weight remains exactly the same each time, whereas with IC one ends up with a slightly varying weight each flight.

Posted by Andy48 on 08/12/2016 13:13:54:

I would beg to differ. I am increasingly finding that I really have to fine tune the CofG on planes designed for IC and running on electric. Mostly using the CofG on the plan seems to be OK, but with nearly all my planes, that fine tuning moves the CofG back slightly, with the only difference being in the flare out on landing which is much improved.

I have not found a plane where the CofG moves forward, but several where moving it back slightly improves low speed handling. I suppose you can tweak it more accurately with electric as the weight remains exactly the same each time, whereas with IC one ends up with a slightly varying weight each flight.

Most designs seem to set the CoG a smiggen forwards of optimum - I guess they do that to make the maiden more predictable, leaving it to the pilot to trim it back to his level of capability

You should always make sure you have a good supply of CoG's. HK used to do them by the bag full, which was very handy if you found that your model didn't have one, or that the one pre-fitted was unsuitable. But they only seem to be available in the International Warehouse now - personally I blame BREXIT. I suspect there will be import duty on CoG's soon.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/12/2016 23:00:49

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/12/2016 23:00:14:

You should always make sure you have a good supply of CoG's. HK used to do them by the bag full, which was very handy if you found that your model didn't have one, or that the one pre-fitted was unsuitable. But they only seem to be available in the International Warehouse now - personally I blame BREXIT. I suspect there will be import duty on CoG's soon.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/12/2016 23:00:49

Pleased to see that retirement is having a positive effect. wink

I thought EASA were planning to ban movable C of Gs due to safety concerns raised by the European Parliament. In future, it seems that a re-certification process will need to be followed, involving full aerodynamic calculations, computer simulation, wind tunnel testing and compulsory CE marking of its position.

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/12/2016 14:39:38