Hobbyking EFX Racer

Mike T

Advert

If you don't like hand launching them (and I agree on the 4S/5" prop it's not super easy, especially without any wind) then setup a foot operated bungee launcher - commercially available from HK themselves or just make one using some plastic pipe, 90 degree join pieces and a bungee. Fit a hook on the CG and bob's your uncle - works great for us.

Edited By MattyB on 02/01/2017 01:10:33

A minimal approach is best, decided by the prop clearance, then the lightest wheels. Plate the area on the belly just under the leading edge with thin plywood, either curved, or cut a flat inset in the model, for approximately 1 - 1.5 inches square, with the centre line under the leading edge of the wing. Choose the wire to support the model, and bend up enough that the axles maintain prop clearance. A card drawing is best made up to check wheel base and height before the wire is made.

Posted by Mike T on 02/01/2017 11:26:26:

The u/c is to make it a more manageable sportster - he wants to do his A. My gut instinct said look elsewhere, but I wanted to see if anybody had had any success with u/c before suggesting an alternative approach!

The EFX only weighs about 720g in stock form, so it is not heavy enough to qualify for an A anyway. I would strongly suggest he leaves it as is and buys/borrows a suitable sport model with wheels to do his A, as even if you could get it up to the required 1kg weight it is not an ideal machine for the test really.

It's certainly "been done"................ "Watch what I do here", fire up the plane electronics by connecting the 4S battery before fitting it into the plane, then do a lot of handling with prop towards chest, then show elevator action, with no comment at all regards throttle hold.

Not only does that u/c ruin a very decent plane, he can't land for toffee anyway!! (Was that a road??)

For once Prince Charles was right, as adding u/c is truly adding " a carbuncle on an old friend".