Mode 1 or Mode 2

Former Member

I agree that the right mode to fly is the one which is the more comfortable. As I said, I began on m ode 2 and flew it for a while, and was quite comfortable with it. However once I had made the jump to mode 1 and was getting used to that I realised I was more comfortable with mode 1 - so I have stuck with it.>>

Slight change of topic– I think the comparison between mode 1 and full size flying does not really hold up. In a full size cockpit a flight can easily last two hours, and a two stick mode would not work. Also there are aircraft which lightly built pilots would be ill-advised to try because of the muscle needed, some Slingsby gliders, for example. There are too many other jobs to do which need a spare hand while the other one flies the craft with one stick:— switching radio frequencies, changing fuel tanks, frequent adjustment of trim wheels, handling maps, and at crucial moments selecting flaps and retracts. A pilot couldn’t possibly fly twin sticks and have to pump a slow manual retract at the same time. Then there’s the little matter of the rudder.>>

With a model an average flight time at the club strip is about 6 minutes and all the sticks, knobs and switches on a tranny are placed close together, within easy finger reach. I understand the feeling about full size, but it’s really a romantic illusion. Perhaps we should call it the Biggles syndrome. >>

I'd call it a red herring...until we start using rudder pedals on the flight line at least.

Quite why anyone wants to decree that one way is superior is a mystery to me. Whatever you're happy with is the best way. I've certainly not got any intention of changing - even if someone were to wave a magic wand and come up with a convincing argument that the other way was somehow better!

When I first moved to France, out of twenty members in my club there was only one other Mode 2 pilot and he lived in the South of France so only rarely turned up.Since putting on a flying display in the village of Sazeray last year we attracted two new members, two brothers,Pascal and Jean-Luc. Bizarrely, Jean-Luc is Mode 1 and Pascal is Mode 2! However, Pascal had never successfully flown a fixed wing aircraft, but he could fly a drone, so I took him up on my Stick with wirelessly-linked transmitters. He did alright and has now bought his own trainer. I've also been training one of our Belgian novices who's Mode 1, but like Pascal, he has done a bit of flying in the past. He has to concentrate very hard so after about ten minutes his flying starts to get a bit ragged but he's making progress and gaining in confidence. I may also have another Mode 2 novice to teach, if the lad decides to join. As a result of these developments, the club has given me a brand new ARTF trainer, something called a Lanyu Primary 40. It's the usual sort of thing, a 5 ft high wing monoplane,four channel, tricycle undercarriage etc. I will supply a receiver and a red Irvine 40 from among my engine collection and the club will reimburse me for expenses involved in buying servos etc.

I was thinking of buying four HiTec HS311 servos but maybe I should fit a servo with Karbonite gears to the rudder channel as those novices may be bending the nose-leg quite a bit.

What is the collective wisdom?