Mode 1 or Mode 2

Former Member

Posted by ron evans on 03/01/2017 21:36:07:

Well Mr Fledermaus, there is a remedy for the face full of 2stroke oil on launch.....and it begins with Ewink

Ron

Edited By ron evans on 03/01/2017 21:36:51

Edited By ron evans on 03/01/2017 21:37:44

Your right Ron, the spots before my eyes turned out to be oil on my glasses. blush

I should point out that Ron and I are members of the same club, so I'm quite used to his good natured ribbing about the benefits of electric flying.

"Fly by wire".... like that one.

Reminds me of a documentary on the box about ejection seats. I think it was a Martin Baker test pilot stood by an immaculate black painted Meteor, who went on to say they still used the aeroplane, and it was fly by wire.

The wire being 1/4" dia. steel.smiley

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 04/01/2017 14:05:33:

I only tried to fly a control-liner once, a Keilkraft Marquis with an AM15. I didn't complete one circle before I piled it in. I always wondered why, it is obvious now that I must have been flying the wrong mode. Why didn't someone tell me?

Were you flying clockwise or anticlockwise circles?

It was fifty years ago, but if I remember correctly it went vertically up and then vertically down, so I don't think it ever established a direction of rotation.

Perhaps John's suggestion could have been the answer to the problem, I realise now that trying to do this single-handed, starting the engine at full power, then trying to run to pick the handle up, wasn't the way to go about it. The model clearly had no intention of staying put where I had left it in the meantime. Can't think why.

Well I dunno... you go away for a few days and this old chestnut kicks off again! I think pretty-much everything around here is on mode 2 if it's any help, but there again, "here" is Geneva airport.

Hope everyone behaves and there's not another 4 or 5 pages of this thread to read through on my return this evening! smile

Posted by John Privett on 04/01/2017 16:10:55:

Hope everyone behaves and there's not another 4 or 5 pages of this thread to read through on my return this evening! smile

Yes, but at least its a rambling and good natured 4-5 pages John! smile. Five years ago we would have had dead bodies everywhere by this point!

BEB

You know I forget how many control line models I crashed before I learned to fly. The difference is obvious. I was determined (Pig headed) enough to keep on trying until I mastered it. Carried on flying control line for the next 30 years and have had the odd dabble up until a couple of years ago..

I did find that it was easier to teach someone to fly with a big .35 powered stunter than a little "Trainer".

When we had the control line club we used to dread the father and son turning up with a KK Hurricane or Cox plastic model. Almost impossible to learn on. Even the experts got dizzy with them.