Mode 1 or Mode 2

Former Member

Posted by Martin Harris on 02/01/2017 15:44:54:

A former CO of Boscombe Down / RAF Chief Test Pilot had a go on the buddy lead at our club one afternoon. He found it quite challenging although by the end of the session he was certainly starting to get the idea. His difficulties only related to orientation though - is it co-incidence that we are a mode 2 club where I assume your airline pilot was attempting to fly mode 1?

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/01/2017 15:47:00

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 02/01/2017 16:34:29

You could have a point here Martin in that there were other factors involved.

I once took a neighbour down the flying field, he was an RAF chappie who worked on simulators, he was not a pilot but was reckoned he had spent many hours flying the simulator, I handed him my tranny and he flew it as if he had been flying models for years, and after a couple of approaches he landed it as well. We are talking a Stampe biplane with 5 channel Skyleader radio (no giros,as3x or SAFE etc in that)

Oh and yes it was on mode 1

Posted by David Holland 2 on 02/01/2017 17:22:20:

Goddness, I reckon you are going to regret letting this one out of the box.

Nah - I reckon that the silliness over this defused years ago - we're all much more adult, tolerant and enlighted these days,.....aren't we???

BEB (Who is hoping for very little work on this thread!)

Posted by David Holland 2 on 02/01/2017 17:22:20:

Goddness, I reckon you are going to regret letting this one out of the box.

No its compulsory for it to come out of the box every so often. One of the traditions of the hobby. It is also compulsory for someone to raise the full size analogy.

Posted by Peter Miller on 02/01/2017 18:13:01:

Just in passing. What mode is single stick with the rudder on top of the right hand stick. and throttle on a lever on the side, the old cuddle box.

I had one and quite liked it.

I've currently got three of those! One in active service on 2.4 GHz, one on 459MHz awaiting a model, and the most recent awaiting renovation!

And yes, I love flying that way too! laugh

--

Pete

As a hand held mode 2 thumb flyer, I'm glad to be able to continue to control my model in the primary axes and swat flies (or impertinent hecklers) with my left hand!

Otherwise, there's little to choose. Whether or not the possibility of less interaction would make any difference to my flying is something I can't answer but many of the smoothest and most skilled flyers manage perfectly well.

Bottom line is go with the majority for convenience if you're in a club/group or use personal preference if you find you have a strong leaning one way or the other.

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/01/2017 18:43:26

Posted by Peter Miller on 02/01/2017 18:13:01:

Just in passing. What mode is single stick with the rudder on top of the right hand stick. and throttle on a lever on the side, the old cuddle box.

I had one and quite liked it.

Fascinating - I looked this up in one of my books* and it only describes it as "1 function single stick Mode A", but then it also tells me I fly "Mode B" and I fly what is now called Mode 1 normally. (I started out on that Mode when it was in common use around the Essex area. BUT it was called Mode B then).

* Radio Control Guide 1982 by Norman Butcher" so not that long ago compared to how long R/C equipment has been about.

One thing being a Mode 2 flyer forced me to do when I moved to my current club (where, at least then, most were mode 1) was test fly my own models. Fortunately, Ian Redshaw flies Mode 2, so I was able to delegate my more valuable model test flights to him

I built my first4 channel transmitter (Micron) and IIRC the instructions were for Mode 2 and, as an aeromodelling tyro, having controls on the same stick as a full size seemed sensible. Because my right hand isn't brilliant I fully intended to swap over to whatever mode NOT Mode 2 is (ie ailerons and elevator on the left, rudder and throttle on the right) but realised the potential danger of that after I passed my 'A' so didn't.

There's still a lot of Mode 1 flyers at Ashbourne but a few fixed wing pilots have begun to dabble with small electric helicopters and most of them fly them Mode 2 whilst continuing to fly Mode I on fixed wing. One very good pilot at Ashbourne (Mr Magoo here) taught himself to fly helis many years ago and I think flies a unique mode for some reason or other, but flies Mode 1 fixed wing.

Obviously it doesn't matter what mode you fly but the banter is always good fun

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 02/01/2017 19:51:12:

There's still a lot of Mode 1 flyers at Ashbourne but a few fixed wing pilots have begun to dabble with small electric helicopters and most of them fly them Mode 2 whilst continuing to fly Mode I on fixed wing.

Interesting, I fly mode one and when I started to dabble in small electric helecoptors I thought it made more sense to fly them on mode 2. I found it was the throttle that defeated me. No problem at all when I went mode 1 on them as well

We had a guy at our club - he used to fly very well using Mode 1 but with the throttle the opposite way round.

When questioned why he flew this way he said "well that's the way my old tractor throttle worked!".

It's all about what feels right for you and then sticking to it to develop muscle memory.

Like many others I use either/both/neither, all my reeds sets are elevator left as Pete said, then I have some mode 1 trannies like the Macgregor Digimac 2 and the Kraft 2, and some mode 2 trannies like the Kraft Series 71 and Futaba 7C, plus of course all the single-channel button gear. I dont find switching back-to-back from one mode to the other any problem at all, its all in the mind. If it was otherwise no-one would be able to fly inverted or towards themselves.

In a similar vein I ride Brit-shift (gears right, rear brake left) and Jap-shift (gears left, rear brake right) bikes and a mix or race shift (one up, the rest down) and road-shift (one down, the rest up) and a Monkey with neutral at the top and all gears down, and a scooter with the rear brake on the left bar. Again, riding any of these bikes back to back is no problem.

I believe learning to fly (and learning to ride, road or race) is about responding correctly and promptly to a situation - panic reactions shouldnt come into it. On the rare occasions they do, they always seem to be the right ones - I think people should give their brain a little more credit, it knows what its doing!

Cheers
Phil

Posted by Peter Miller on 02/01/2017 19:55:31:

We only have one mode 1 flier in the club. IT is a shame because he can't fly my models.

Hi Peter

Hi Dusty

'Tis a cross I'll have to bear unfortunately!

I have flown trainer type models on mode 2, but wouldn't dare try a nice one like any of yours!