Mode 1 or Mode 2

Former Member

In general I would agree with the "whatever works for you" theory, but as always there are exceptions hat prove the rule. One good example is DLG - right handed mode 2 fliers are at a marked advantage on turnaround (rapid catch and throws) since their left hand is free to stow away the flaps/brakes as the right hand reaches out, grabs the tip and chucks it again. As a mode 1 flier I have to use some trick mixing on my Taranis to address this, but it's still not as elegant as if I were on mode 2.

As Martin Harris said: '' Muscle memory can be a powerful friend - or a deadly enemy! ''thumbs up
And I would add: The power of habit or an old dog new tricks.
I think, we're here already had a survey that showed that 80% of the RC pilots flying in the mode 2, and I am one of them .... it's nothing special but ,for me, there's no way to change the mode, because after so many years I do not think I could accept another mode without '' serious '' consequences face 1

Right handed Mode 2 fliers are also at an advantage launching by themselves, particularly on the slope. Less so with power perhaps, as clubmates tend to snigger at me opening the throttle with my teeth....

But I support the "stick with whatever you were taught to fly" principle. I used to run boats and car on twin stick sets, but I fly mode 2, simply because the first group of guys I met when I joined a club flew that way in 1986.

I have "rescued" the odd trainer on mode 1, but like to get rid of that responsibility as fast as possible. If you remember throttle controls your height, elevator controls your speed, I can usually get it down alright, as you are pulling back on both sticks, but you will likely be in trouble if you have to go around again.

We also had a guy who flew mode 2, throtlle reversed, and he would not change it, saying its the natural way a throttle should work. Told him I'd hate to drive his Merc, must be a devil seeing where you are going while pulling on the accelerator!

I ,a mode1 flyer remember commenting to a mode 2 flyer that I thought mode 2 flyers had an advantage when hand .launching. I had just had a particularly hairy launch as was desperately groping for the right stick to use aelerons to level the wayward beast

His reply was that I would have been worse off on mode 2 as I would not have elevator either Seems that many right handed flyers cannot handlauch left handed.

Surely teeth or nose to advance throttle when hand launching is common to both modes Or is that mode 73.6

The real advantage of mode 2 is that while keeping some modicum of Crontrol with my right hand i can also at the same time_ waft away annoying flies spiders etc, wipe running nose, and scratch the parts that need scratching with my left hand. Mode 1 fliers are in awe of my prowess. 😂😱

To answer a couple of questions posted a while ago in this thread, there used to be a young pilot a few years back who flew aeroplanes mode 1 and helicopters mode2. He has gone on to become an accomplished full-size aerobatic pilot!

And I know at least one helicopter pilot who flies mode 3 (or is it 4?) ie: left handed mode 1 ("aileron" and throttle on the left stick, "elevator" and tail rotor on the right.)

Back in the early 70s, down here in the South West, one of our pioneer helicopter pilots, who flew aeroplanes in mode 2, built himself a single-stick "cuddle-box" to learn helicopters. His argument was that since the two were so different to fly, there was no reason not to change from his familiar Tx. He also pointed out that it avoided the confusion between left and right tail rotor caused by watching the tail instead of the nose while hovering, as all you had to do was twist the knob in the direction you wanted the heli to rotate! Clockwise or anti-clock, rather than left or right. He became very proficient, so it obviously worked for him!

Now I like cuddle-boxes, and have been flying one for a few years now, but I hesitate to fly a heli with it. Its not the aerodynamic controls that bother me, but having the throttle and collective on a very short throw lever. On an aeroplane, the throttle is not a particularly critical control, but on a heli, the throttle / collective is very sensitive, and needs precise operation. Not easy with a short lever, especially when its under your forefinger rather than your thumb.....!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 03/01/2017 17:14:22

Yes - I'd agree - I am a right handed mode 2 flyer and don't find hand launching easy. I can't chuck left handed, It could go anywhere!! So I have to throw right handed and get my hand back to the right hand stick ASAP.

In practice I'm often heard calling "Can anyone give me a hand launch please"!

I guess left-handed mode 2 flyers do have a bit of an advantage - possibly? Any experiences?

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/01/2017 18:06:48:

Yes - I'd agree - I am a right handed mode 2 flyer and don't find hand launching easy. I can't chuck left handed, It could go anywhere!! So I have to throw right handed and get my hand back to the right hand stick ASAP.

In practice I'm often heard calling "Can anyone give me a hand launch please"!

I guess left-handed mode 2 flyers do have a bit of an advantage - possibly? Any experiences?

BEB

I'm left handed and I used Mode 2. The main problem for me whilst hand launching, is getting a face full of 2 stroke exhaust residue.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 03/01/2017 19:55:10

Posted by ron evans on 03/01/2017 21:36:07:

Well Mr Fledermaus, there is a remedy for the face full of 2stroke oil on launch.....and it begins with Ewink

Ron

Edited By ron evans on 03/01/2017 21:36:51

Edited By ron evans on 03/01/2017 21:37:44

Somehow I don't think that it will ever catch on for control line combat though.

But then a little oil never bothers us old types who learned to fly in the days when there were only dry batteries and they NEVER burst into flames while being charged