Cutting sheet balsa into strips

Advert

Thank you all for your replies,I like Percys Proxxon saw,I have all the others apart from the Slec balsa stripper ,looks ideal for thin balsa, my band saw is better on thicker balsa 1/8 " up.Shall have to find my old minicraft saw.I like the mortice gauge too.I do like my band saw its only a small one but it comes in handy,apart from the dust it makes.

• 4 weeks later...

Why don`t we petition Axminster to see if we can get them to look into getting something similar produced , but a good bit less expensive . I`m sure they have a " New product suggestion system " where if they get enough interest they will look into getting one manufactured . I know i`d buy one if Axminsters other products are anything to go by , and obviously if the price wasn`t as high as the Proxxon example .German engineering and pricing again for you OTT !!!

Posted by Percy Verance on 09/01/2017 22:05:20:

The Proxxon will cut 1/4 ply if you go carefully Christopher. On balsa it's an absolute dream to use, and will, when set up nicely, provide a convenient way to strip those too hard sheets of balsa you always find left in the LMS. They're usually perfect for wing spars and longerons......

I use a scroll saw and straight edge

I have a 30 year old Dremel Scroll saw. Mount the blade sideways to be able to feed long lengths through it, clamp a 10mm plate to the table and set it as a width fence and away we go. Works on just about any thickness of balsa, and ply and hardwoos up to bout 10mm.

Edited By Toni Reynaud on 04/02/2017 06:40:28

Posted by bert baker on 08/01/2017 20:48:36:

Hi, I have not had much joy with the knife type strippers,, the wood tends to twist.

For me the rotary table saw is the best way,,, I use a old minnicraft one.

Bert

The dodge with the knife type strippirs is to put a bit of scrap balsa on the blade to take up any spare space and hold the wood you are striipng down. |I can strip 1/16" capstrips easily with this

Posted by Peter Miller on 04/02/2017 08:36:59:
Posted by bert baker on 08/01/2017 20:48:36:

Hi, I have not had much joy with the knife type strippers,, the wood tends to twist.

For me the rotary table saw is the best way,,, I use a old minnicraft one.

Bert

The dodge with the knife type strippirs is to put a bit of scrap balsa on the blade to take up any spare space and hold the wood you are striipng down. |I can strip 1/16" capstrips easily with this

Peter, perhaps you could post a photo or two to help explain how and where the scrap balsa goes. Thanks

I tried various balsa strippers (want one? - vintage) and settled for a 1m rule with a scalpel, and I have used that method for ever.

For heavier "stuff", I have a bench bandsaw with a fence and fine tooth blade. The bandsaw gets used for just about anything including cutting larger and heavier strip wood.

I have the same as Ben; Proxxon & Master Aircrew stripper. I think the 'secret' with the stripper is always to use a new blade, especially when cutting hard 1/4in balsa strips for spars and don't try to cut through in one go. Set the blade to cut 1/8in to start with and then incrementally deeper with each successive pass until the strip separates. = no wavy strips.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 04/02/2017 10:19:33

I have used different balsa strippers over the years and currently use one similar to the one shown by Peter Miller and have no complaints, even up to 1/4" thick. Sometimes you get good straight strips however sometimes you don't. The trouble seems to be that sometimes a seemingly straight sheet has stresses and strains in it which even eachother out and do not show up in the sheet but when cut into thin strips these stresses are released and you end up with a bent strip........ It is a bit more expensive but when I can, I prefer to buy strips ready cut because if they are straight when you buy them, the chances are that they will stay straight.

That's clever Peter and like all good ideas, very simple! I use a balsa stripper for the thin sections and the sheet rising up the blade can be a problem.

Problem no more!

For thicker sections I use a band saw with a fence. I made myself a series of hardwood template strips (on a key ring to keep them together), which can be inserted between the blade and the fence. Makes setting up the saw very easy and you always have the templates to hand.

I also produce triangular strip on the bandsaw using a simple timber jig.