BMFA 'A' Test

Cliff 1959

I made this video to help encourage some of our club members who think the 'A' test is beyond their flying skills.

One member contacted me and said: 'The video certainly removes any 'fear' of the unknown and makes the 'A' certificate look more achievable for beginners like me with a bit of a lack of confidence.'

I dare say it's not a perfect example of how to do it but the above quote I think says it all and if it gets members up the patch then that can only be a good thing. PS. It's easier to see the plane when viewing full screen ... click on the YouTube word.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 09/01/2017 09:23:13

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 09/01/2017 09:25:46

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 09/01/2017 09:26:41

Cliff, nice idea and anything to show that the A test is not a formidable obstacle must be good...

However, you seem to have made it more involved than necessary! There is no requirement for a stall demonstration in the Power A. I think you should also have emphasised the need for lookout and calling manouevres in your text notes.

In terms of the flying, I would prefer to see a minimal test demonstrated so that people appreciate the few requirements i.e. Take off, fly a rectangular circuit, position for and fly a figure eight*, land, take off, change direction neatly and fly a circuit in the opposite direction, climb to height and perform a deadstick landing - all with appropriate lookout checks and calls emphasised.

Note that only one intermediate landing is required. Shown like this, the test should look very much less daunting than some seem to think it is!

* This should start from the normal circuit "line", start with a turn away from you to a point flying away from and in line with the pilot, then reverse direction into the first circle, complete at the same crossing point, reverse into the second circle and finish on the same line as the entry.

Well done for the trouble and effort to put a video together. Yes, there are several points that are incorrect, but by following the guidance notes and perhaps having an examiner give the new footage the once-over, you'll have produced a really useful resource.

It certainly succeeds in the aim of showing how straight forward the test flying should be.

I'm going to get a bit picky here as it has great potential as a training demonstration. I would be asking that candidate to repeat the figure of eight rather closer than it was done and aiming to make the crossover point much more central. While it was flown safely and the A test requires less precision than the same manouevre flown on a B test, there isn't a massive amount of latitude for the crossover and it wasn't easy to assess how much height variation there was (possibly less so in real life) - it should be performed at circuit height.

Again, and in very picky mode this time (I'm starting to feel like a judge on Strictly now!)...could you tidy up the change of circuit direction? It seemed that you started your opposite circuit rather too far out - then it eventually finished on the right line. Could you perhaps do a turn away into half a figure eight after the initial circuit, finishing on the opposite circuit direction and commence the square circuit from that?

I would say that it is probably more difficult to fly (and assess) these manouvres accurately on a 2D simulator so other examiners' opinions may vary! But well done - and it really has the makings of a useful resource. I'd still like to see more emphasis on lookout and calling each manouevre!

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/01/2017 16:55:36