Rolling Circles

dave parnham

Advert

Personally, I would work on your slow rolls and maybe 4 point rolls first. You need to be confident you can at least point the nose back up again should you need to in a hurry.

There are 2 distinct types of rolling circle ( actually, if you go far enough back, there's a third one, but can't get my head around that one myself).

If you want to do continual rolls whilst performing a flat circle its actually quite simple.

All you do is roll slowly and hold the down elevator you would use for inverted in until you have rolled to 270 degrees, then release it and hold a little up elevator while continuing the roll to 90 degrees, ease off, and feed in down as you approach inverted, and hold it again until you get back to about 270 degrees. Repeat until the circle is complete.

If you want to so a one - roll circle, ie performing a single roll around the circumference, so that you pass through knife edge at the quarter point, reach inverted at the diameter and continue the roll to opposite knife edge at the three quarter point you need to use rudder s well - but I find that variation a lot harder.

In fact, I might have fooled myself I've almost got it once or teice, but I wouldn't try it with anyone watching....

When I was shown, I realise there is more than one way, but it was done in four parts until confidence and the script was learned, 1st was 90° , then for a long time 180° of the circle, then 270° for some time until a wobbly 360° was achieved. I wouldn't say this is the best method by a long way, as A flyer at my field, learned and rehearsed just the sticks through 360° for weeks, then actually flew it, he was young though

rolling circuits are easy really .start learning with the way the model wants to go ,roll right and do a left circuit or vice versa. one roll circles as said above are a bit more difficult , then theres the rolling harrier doing a circle/circuit, thats probaly for another day .now some use elevator only some use rudder/elevator i prefer the later . as also said above start with 4/8 pointers and lllllllloooonnnggg slow rolls till its instinctive on input , you will find circuits easy then...good luck....and remember ........fly low

hello Dave.......first off don't have too much movement on the controls...and start off practicing up high at a constant speed. have a go at doing two roll's in a line when the model is coming towards you and when its gone past...coming towards you is the hard bit. When you can do that increase it to 3 rolls then 4+..aim to go from one side of your site to the other doing roll after roll in a straight line.then have a go at steering the model left and right...as you become more confident and settled have a go at doing a circle..using the ailerons and elevator...it'll be messy to start with but as time and practice go on it'll get better....introduce the rudder also as you get more confident....then amaze all your clubmates......

ken Anderson...ne....1 ...rolling circle dept.

When I saw a rolling circle done for the first time circa 1971 , it was done by the young guy in the club that could do everything, the guy you either hate or admire . He still flys with us and we get on great !

He did it with a Smiths mini plane and gave me the target to aim at .! So I tried and tried and got a little better so 40 odd years later I can do it BUT only rolling outwards and only with a plane I have carefully balanced and set up as to be be pretty neutral in all respects , Like you do for the "B" test to make it look good ,

So my comment is some planes do it easier than others ! No matter how good you are !

cheers

Pete

the sim will only get you so far . as for learning basic aeros ,,,maybe .but anything remotely advance they are no good . knife edge is a good example . my lass could do a knife edge loop on a sim ....get out in the real world of practice no substitute for it. .. i can drive a rally car or shoot a 1k kill shot with a rifle on the computer , fly low