Painting gone wrong

bert baker

Advert

Hi Bert,

Looks like solvent 'pop' to me. What's happened is that the surface has 'dried' before all of the solvent has found it's way out.

This causes the gassing solvent to pop through the crust, so you get these blisters. Rub down & repaint, or strip it off and go again.

Warming it up is one thing, but 80 degrees obviously too much of a good thing. When I'm heating 2k laquer to speed the cure up, I try not to go above 60 C but my gut is telling me that anything over 20 to 25 would be too much for a cellulose based paint.

Kim

A hot air gun would be better used Bert, as you can warm the area up and immediately remove the heat if problems occur.

From school, my 1st job was in a stoving enamel factory, where items are dipped in paint, then hung dripping onto a conveyor through an industrial oven, and popping like this was apparent when heat control changed with the weather and the colour of the paint ! ! ! So the thinner mix was too involved, as well as the thickness due to colour pigment, in the drying process

It is a science, and computer controlled these days, so you see Bert, you stood little chance of success without Test Pieces and Temperature Chart, a long process

The only models you can dry in an oven at anything above room temperature are metal ones.

Plastic models melt and wood "breathes", so that as the paint dries, so does the wood and air trapped in it has to go somewhere. Usually out through the freshly applied paint !

Also you would be very lucky if it came out of the oven anywhere near straight. Heat and wood do not mix, unless you are using it for reshaping.

Note :     80 degrees  is the temperature we bake motor vehicles at when we repair them. Anything higher and you      start to melt things, such as tyres !!!

Edited By kevin b on 01/02/2017 21:46:43

Look in your compass set Bert, there should be a ruler with a rebate on the bottom edge whereby any ink cannot act by capillary and flow under the edge, therefore leaving a clean line on the model. Masking tape the ruler down where it needs to be. Get the ink flowing from your mapping pen freely onto a flat waste page, then take a deep breath and go in one motion along your desired line. Test too that the ink will " take" to your paint, you are best degreasing the area with a quick wipe over with something like meths and not with oily turps.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...