DB Cirrus Moth build

Cheers Chaps, it's decided then !!

They will go right to the end, just a bit of ferkeling to do with a bit of scrap and a razor saw.

Good pics there Cymaz, especially of the engine

McG, the plan shows where they begin, as you say, 4 or 5 ribs from the root, but the discrepancy was where they end, I think the model on the D.B. box was done the easy way, with the tips intact.

Thanks every one for your help and guidance. yescool

I have now built 2 port wings. I thought it was easier to do this than 2 lower and then 2 upper, as I don't have to swap the plan about too much.

Pics in a bit.

D.D.

The bottom port wing, you can see a line where the wing will be trimmed on the trailing edge. I still have to add the strut fixing blocks and the servo boxes. you can also see the Shear webbing in alternate bays.

img_20170320_203012.jpg

In this pic you can see where the tip will be cut so it will be part of the aileron, in between the tip brace and the T/E sheeting, just about where my index finger is.... I hope I move it in time....

img_20170320_203036.jpg

These pieces were supplied to fit against the root rib to give a "ledge" to aid covering but they were too short.....good old scrap bin came to the rescue.

img_20170320_203807.jpg

The tip braces, and the " under camber" of the wing tip.

img_20170320_203926.jpg

The root reinforcement on the upper port wing, needed as the root rib is to be cut off at the line I have drawn.

img_20170320_211507.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 20/03/2017 22:43:07

I managed a bit more before I went to work, but ran out of posting time.

So here is the progress for today.

I now have two wings built bar the members for the struts and the servo boxes.

I have cut the wings to shape at the root, as per the plan, this I did by drawing a line freehand with the upper wing over the plan, then cutting outside the line and sanding back, the lower wing was a straight line cut, so a steel ruler and a knife sorted that. The tips are easier as they are both the same top and bottom.

I cut two riblets to make the aileron end nearest the root, I used a ply spacer, so that I have a space to cut into.

I will build the two starboard wings before I remove the ailerons, that way nothing will get lost or broken.

To be fair, the wings went together really quickly, and everything was a good fit. I noticed that the leading edge has to be left quite sharp, and not the usual rounded profile.

I have a major distraction now, in the form of a BF110 from you know who ? Must resist....MUST RESIST !! angel

D.D.

the riblet and spacer

img_20170321_003958.jpg

The upper wing cut to shape the other scrap piece if from the tip.

img_20170321_104823.jpg

The lower wing cut.

img_20170321_110642.jpg

Riblets. The top one is the correct length, plus a sanding margin of course.

img_20170321_111408.jpg

After a visit to the blood Nurse, who insisted on emptying my right arm, to see if I am in good nick for my age, I managed to do a bit on the Moth.

I had already done a dry fit of the lower middle section, so I knew what was what. Before I could glue it up, I had to cut the fat slot for the under cart wire bearer.

I have done a loverly pictoral "how to" for you. laugh

img_20170323_092241.jpg

img_20170323_092425.jpg

img_20170323_092846.jpg

img_20170323_092855.jpg

img_20170323_092929.jpg

I made sure everything was square. I left the undercart bearer very slightly proud so it can be sanded to the profile of the ribs.

img_20170323_093556.jpg

There are some strengthening Trailing edge pieces in the... er....trailing edge..where the wing bolts will go through. I made sure these were flooded with Aliphatic so that when I pushed them in the glue flowed out, hopefully this has filled all the gaps and will be as solid as rock.

The pieces pre cut by me.

img_20170323_094438.jpg

Installed.

img_20170323_101719.jpg

One complete lower mid section. Also, behind the shear web you can see, is a spar filler piece, this was not on the plan but was in the book of words. Piece No' 245. If you are wondering.

Last job will be to cut in the dihedral braces once the starboard wings are built. Oh and the dowells to locate the wing in the former.

D.D.

img_20170323_102758.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 23/03/2017 11:27:39

Posted by cymaz on 23/03/2017 12:41:53:

Coming on leaps and bounds now !

thumbs up

... but hopefully not when landing

It's certainly coming together quickly and I'll be re-reading it all together with drawings when I get to building mine in the next month or two. My building progress (on the Mew Gull) has been slightly delayed by work on SWMBO's bike - new transmission components and electrification (she didn't fancy a glow engine ).

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 23/03/2017 16:52:03:
Posted by cymaz on 23/03/2017 12:41:53:

Coming on leaps and bounds now !

thumbs up

... but hopefully not when landing

It's certainly coming together quickly and I'll be re-reading it all together with drawings when I get to building mine in the next month or two. My building progress (on the Mew Gull) has been slightly delayed by work on SWMBO's bike - new transmission components and electrification (she didn't fancy a glow engine ).

Geoff

You could take off the chain and pedals off, explain to her that it now a free flight model........now waiting for the telling off!disgust

Good heavens D.D you've got a rib tickler I've not seen one of those in years.

Coming along beautifully.

I bet you have opened the box of your 110 just to have a peek inside, that's when they start calling you and before you know it the plans are out and the distraction starts.

You must resist be strong.

Regards

Robert

Well, aint it funny how things go...??

Old Percy Verance there, made a comment, and it set me to thinking about getting the holes in the other wing...

So I went into the workshop to have a look, hoping for inspiration.

I spotted my hole saw kit and low and behold in there was a cutter the exact same size as the holes I had cut in the starboard wing,......I couldn't get my cap on Boys...

This is the result, using a 10mm socket, and three extensions on the end of the hole cutter. Oh and a bit of insulation tape..

I did it by hand turning the cutter anti clockwise.......

Let it be known throughout the land, that Sir Percy Verance is a Hero. star

D.D.

img_20170325_215952.jpg

Today I have managed to get the center section of the top wing done. The hardest part was lining up the bolt liners and getting them fixed in. In the end I laminated some balsa to the size of the space where the liner was to go, drilled through it and then sanded to size, making sure the liner was over the captive nut, then glued the brass liner in.

Luckily it all lined up. I will have to make some offset washers to neaten it all up, or bury the bolt heads.

I cut all the wings to shape and did a bit of sanding, there is plenty more sanding to do tho.

I have to glue in the ply bearer that holds the top wing on, and locate the holes for the bottom wing fixing and add the dowels for the same.

The dry fit showed that all the panels line up pretty good and the dihedral is more or less there. I still have to cut the dihedral braces into the wings, starting with the center sections.

The box is now empty and I can get the "other" box on the bench.

D.D.

img_20170326_181240.jpg

Oh yeah, I added a ply doubler at the back for a bit of strength.

img_20170326_181300.jpg

Top section in place.

img_20170326_183033.jpg

img_20170326_183057.jpg

Top Center all covered up.

img_20170326_190531.jpg

2 Wings.

img_20170326_190520.jpg

4 Wings.

img_20170326_191636.jpg

This morning I made the servo covers and the gubbins to screw them to.

I start by cutting a piece of lite ply to the size of the bay. To get the size, simply trace round the inside of the bay straight onto the ply. Lite ply cuts with a blade nice and easy, no need for a saw.

Then I put a piece of clear plastic over the ply and place the wing on top, so the ply is where it will be eventually fixed.

Next I make a frame around the bay with off cuts of balsa from the scrap bin, and glue them in. The plastic stops them sticking to the lite ply cover but the cover keeps the frame at the right "height", so the cover remains flush with the wing surface.

Next I cut some triangular lite ply fillets to take the cover fixing screws. since the pic was taken I have increased their thickness X 3.

While the whole lot was still on the bench, I drilled pilot holes for the screws.

The last job was to plane and sand the cover so that it is totally flush with the bottom of the wing.

A hole for the servo arm will be cut and the servo fitted with blocks and/or tape and glue.

D.D.

Cover marked up so we get it in the right way round, and the arm hole drawn on for future reference. As you can see there is not much room for standard servos.

img_20170328_111504.jpg

The cover in place and the servo where it will be sitting.

img_20170328_111609.jpg

The cover all flush and holes drilled.

img_20170328_113916.jpg

Whilst I have been over on the 110 thread I have had the four dihedral braces soaked and under some weight, trying to flatten them out....You will be pleased to know that it worked and they can now be cut into the center sections.

the only thing that lets DB kits down is sometimes the ply is bendy.

Once that is done, I can join the wings.

Happy Days.

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 03/04/2017 00:54:03

• 2 weeks later...

By way of a diversion from chores and the planing and sanding on the 110, i thought I would get the Dihedral braces chopped into the wings on the Moth. the braces have stayed nice and straight so here we go.

D.D.

The Bottom middle section.

img_20170413_143113.jpg

The Top wing all together, but just held with clamps.to check the fit.

img_20170413_143059.jpg

img_20170413_144405.jpg