PIPER CUB 84 INCH D. B Sport and scale

Advert

The website says Richard is moving premises at the moment anyway so must be pretty busy.

Well I would guess that the current owner of DB ( Richard) would not have produced a NON laser cut kit therefore could not supply the instructions. He might oblige by supplying the current instructions but they may not be the same. The construction may have been altered by previous owner Eddie to allow laser cut methods. T

Better to keep on with this thread in the hope that someone has the old instructions. Actully I looked up .the article for Boddingtons Super Cub in Aviation Modeller August 96 which could be fairly similar at 79 inches but I couldn't see much info that would help you. Most of Boddo's designs are built in a similar way so if you have built one you could probably build any one. However if it helps I will make the offer of a copy of the AMI article if nobody comes up with the proper instructions or the modern instructions in a couple of weeks

Result. Igave richard a ring and he kindly sent me a copy of the instructions in an E mail, the kit I had was manufactured around 2001 and bought at a swapmeet last week. Agreat buy at £80.Thanks for the advice guys,Richard was most helpfull and did not charge for this,it seems there are many variations of Cub instructions .As i was on the phone I ordered a plan pack for a bistormer 60,I will build this for electrick power.It will take a week or so to come as you guys poited out he is moving premises this weekend.AGAIN THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

That's great service! I think that deserves a link here to the DB Sport & Scale website in case any newcomers don't know about this told established trad British kit maker. I would suggest that anyone also looks at their plan packs which are a great buy with beautiful laser cut ribs at very reasonable prices.

You could put some photos of your finished model on here which might inspire others to build this model. We need DB to keep in business.

DB Sport & Scale have an excellent reputation. I bought a second hand SE5 kit years ago but with so many other distractions I've never got round even to starting it. I've always fancied the Albatross C1and the Hurricane as well but I've got enough models to be getting on with!

I'm pleased Richard was able to help you. I've just had a rummage through my plans box and turned up the instructions for the DB Cub. I bought my kit around 1989-91 when DB's address was Irchester Northants. If you would like a copy I'm happy to either scan them or copy them. PM me your email or postal address Be aware they were printed using either a Roneo or Gestetner machine and were printed on Foolscap paper! They will fit onto A4.

Mine is next in line for refurbishment. I powered mine with an OS61 four stroke, or rather I overpowered it! Short take offs and 45+ degree climbs are easily possible with this power. Unfortunately that era of OS four strokes were not happy running slowly mounted inverted so flying at scale like speed was to risk flame outs,still lots of landing practice.

What do you plan to power yours with? I've often thought about converting it to electric. Good luck with the build.

thanks for finding the instructions Martin,E Mail or cop[y would be great.chatting to Richard at db there have been various updates to this model over the years, the one you have may predate the one he sent me,and it would be nice to check it out.my kit hss plug in wings,but the plan is by no means clear.I usually follow the 4 Max recomendations on the DB website for electric setups,but I buy the equipment from Hobbyking,im told the motors are the same and cosiderably cheaper.He gives battery sise and prop sise as well.Again thanks for digging out the information,Ihave sent you a message with my E Mail and home address

Regards.

Bernard

Hi Denis, mission accomplished. I guess that'll give EB something to read tonight. By the way just to support George at 4max, he is close to me and used to attend our indoor meetings. A thoroughly nice chap and you openly admit on a forum to using his knowledge and then buying from HK. Shame on yousmileylaugh.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

I am hoping you can help me.
I have purchased a Sport and Scale Piper Cub 1/5 scale that has been almost finished then stored in a loft for a number of years.
Unfortunately the gentleman who built the plane has passed away & although the plane came with plans there is no build instructions & I have no idea how the wings should be attached. There are 2 wooden pegs/dowels with holes in them but they need some method of securing & tightening?
I emailed DB Sport & Scale, its different on the latest designs, he was not familiar with this version, apparently its pre 2005, probably much older, he suggested using split pins in the wooden pegs.
The wings are located on steel rods for & aft, but what would pull the wing to the fuselage, although they are a good fit, is that sufficient?
I have attached pictures of the wing fitting points , any help would be appreciated,

Regards

Ian

20170717_202020.jpg

That's interesting -- mine came without any holes in the dowels. In theory you don't need any retainer so long as you don't do any negative-g manoeuvres. The upward lift on the wings sort of pivots the wings about the lower strut attachment points so that they're actually being pushed into the fuselage in normal conditions. That, and the friction in the steel rods (because the wing can't pull straight off if the struts are attached) is enough.

Having said that, I did drill holes in the dowels and inserted pins, just for good measure.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 22/07/2017 09:14:24