Odd problem

DIGGER

I have an e-flite T28 trojan the 44in one ,I got it without the esc, it has the original motor 480BL 960KV OUTRUNNER, the esc should be a 30amp . Put a Turnigy 40amp plush in, everything worked except motor, constant beeping and vibrating, esc is fine and works in other plane. Tried another 25amp one the same thing. Put a 60amp over lander in and it worked, but it's to big to fit in. As I don't want to keep buying esc's I thought I would try and get the one for this model, there is the problem it's not done any more, the one in the manual is a EFLA1030, all I can find is a EFLA1030B , will this work? They are expensive and I can only find them in the US or Germany. Does anyone know about these, and if they will work in this model, or ifs there another less expensive one that will work. I am new to this and I am confused. Please help.

Chris

Chris, I suspect the problem is a programming issue. Most, but not all ESCs are programmable so that you can select such things as brake on or off. Soft or hard start, and timing are the usual parameters you can change. If you have the instructions for the Turnigy ESC it should tell you how to change the program settings. There are two usual ways of doing this one is using your Tx and counting sequences of beeps, incredibly annoying and prone to errors or by obtaining a programming card for the ESC mush less frustrating and less error prone.

Had a thought the instructions should be on the HK website, find the motor and usually the instructions are under the FILE tab.

good luck

I had a similar thing this week with a brand new TurnigyPlush. Just a continuous beep beep beep. It's waiting to be programmed It seems you need to follow the sequence turning on and then 'teaching' the ESC the throttle range. Something about turning on, wait then put to full throttle and back to low. Eventually it worked OK. It seem to be in the instructions but they are hard to follow and it's tiny print too. I got it to work by assuming as it was Futaba the throttle might need reversing

Of course try all this with the prop removed for safety!

Thanks for your help, the battery is a new fully charged one of the wright type, and the throttle is off, so it's not that. I always have the prop off when doing this type of work. I will give your idea with the throttle a try and look on the hobbyking site as soon as i get back from our fly in tomorrow. Thanks.

Chris

I cannot be sure what I actually did to get it working but it was something like the sequence in the instructions " Enter program mode" I followed that then i went straight to " 4 exit proram mode" item 2. Its following the sequence WITH THE RIGHT NUMBER OF SECONDS DELAY that makes it work!

Very fiddly but still easier than starting a glow motor and you only do the ESC once!

Edited By kc on 25/03/2017 18:53:30

My, my What a lot of help , thank you all so very much, I shall give it a go tomorrow, and I will order the plush program card as well for future use. It still doesn't answer why the Overland one worked , but ha ho. Must be some programing in it. Once again thank you all, I will let you know if it works, as I said I'm flying early tomorrow so I shall give it a try when I get home, in case you are interested it's in the 20's , and clear blue skys here in Cyprussmile d.

Chris

Posted by DIGGER on 25/03/2017 19:26:28:

My, my What a lot of help , thank you all so very much, I shall give it a go tomorrow, and I will order the plush program card as well for future use. It still doesn't answer why the Overland one worked , but ha ho. Must be some programing in it. Once again thank you all, I will let you know if it works, as I said I'm flying early tomorrow so I shall give it a try when I get home, in case you are interested it's in the 20's , and clear blue skys here in Cyprussmile d.

Chris

The Turnigy ESC is a re-badged Hobbywing, as are a number of other ESCs. They seem to be designed to work over a greater throttle range than other makes. This means that they can be programed to get the fullest response from whatever Tx that's being used - e.g. my MPX Tx has about 20% greater throttle range than a Futaba Tx for the same stick movement. With some ESCs the motor doesn't start until the throttle is partially off closed & the motor is at full power before full throttle on the stick.
IMO Hobbywing ESCs are rock solid & the best VFM of any ESCs I've come across.
The program card is worth having but it's can't be used to set the throttle range - that has to be done as described.

Clear blue skies all day here in Northumberland today - temps reached double figures (just).smile d

Edited By PatMc on 25/03/2017 19:58:08

Posted by DIGGER on 25/03/2017 17:53:22:

I have an e-flite T28 trojan the 44in one ,I got it without the esc, it has the original motor 480BL 960KV OUTRUNNER, the esc should be a 30amp . Put a Turnigy 40amp plush in, everything worked except motor, constant beeping and vibrating, esc is fine and works in other plane. Tried another 25amp one the same thing. Put a 60amp over lander in and it worked, but it's to big to fit in. As I don't want to keep buying esc's I thought I would try and get the one for this model, there is the problem it's not done any more, the one in the manual is a EFLA1030, all I can find is a EFLA1030B , will this work? They are expensive and I can only find them in the US or Germany. Does anyone know about these, and if they will work in this model, or ifs there another less expensive one that will work. I am new to this and I am confused. Please help.

Chris

try the component shop/store in Bangor Google it

If Patmc's instructions don't work.....close throttle with tx switched on, connect model battery and wait for the esc to settle into its constant beeping, then trim throttle fully back using trim button on tx and it should then initialise properly. Once you have got it to initialise, then disconnect model battery, reset tx throttle trim to neutral, turn tx off then back on and then follow Patmc's instructions. As others have said, it's almost certainly a throttle range issue.

Hi everyone, right I have tried all your instructions and still no joy, done everything in the instructions and no joy. Don't know what the answer is, except defeat and buy the proper esc, which has to come from the US or GERMANY, and that's where it gets expensive as living here in Cyprus we pay import duty of 20% from the US plus the high postage. Germany not to bad on postage, no import duty but the item costs nearly double . So you see I don't want to keep buying esc's in the hope one works. Sorry rant over with.

Chris

Chris, the problem seems unsurmountable

But as Focae describes, if the ESC senses any throttle input at start up

It protects you by not running and beeping at high throttle

Even one click of over trim can cause this

It is frustrating but your throttle needs reversing, or trimming down or both, no matter what ESC you use

Buying the expensive 'proper ESC' may not fix the problem if it is a programming issue Digger. Odd how the Overlander ESC worked OK (but was too big) but the other 25A ESC you tried, didn't. Having a faulty ESC is possible but having two of them is unlikely, I would think. In desperation you could try programming a new model memory in your Tx, making sure the throttle is closed and the trim is fully closed or minimum. It would seem that your ESC is detecting an 'on' signal when the battery is connected, so goes into safe mode and inhibits the ESC, so emitting the intermittant audible warning. Very frustrating, I have not had this problem before, apart from when I had the throttle channel reversed. Soon sorted.

Next time you try it move the throttle stick to maximum and then move the throttle trim to maximum as well. OK, I am clutching at straws!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 31/03/2017 12:18:17

I had just the same problem - a brand new Turnigy Plush only beeped while an old ESC from another model worked instantly. I just played around with throttle and switching the TX on and then plugging the lipo in and the Turnigy eventually worked.   It's just a matter of doing things in the correct sequence.  Just persevere & follow the instructions that PatMc posted last week.

Edited By kc on 31/03/2017 14:12:14

Well have tried all afternoon with your tips still no joy, even tried another tx (non computer type) exactly the same works perfectly with the Overlander but won't with the Turnigy plush or any other Turnigy esc. So I have ordered a 40a Overlander from the UK, will take about 2 weeks then I shall see what happens, Hope you can all wait that long for another thrilling installment. Ps the plush went into the Bixler with no problems, worked first time no programing.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Right an update, as you who have helped me on this thread. The Overlander 40A esc arrived, as I said things take awhile. I put it in and like the 60A worked strait away, so it's sorted out now. There must be a program in the Overlander thats not in the plush. Thanks for all your help , sorry for the delay in updating.

Chris