Is traditional building a disappearing art?

ChrisB

Posted by Timothy Harris 1 on 27/12/2017 09:37 ARTFs can be the “lazy way “ of flying if all people do is just slot them together, but they can also be very good when augmented, and I love modifying them to improve their performance . I still buy them and intend to keep doing so, as well as building as time for me is also limited. I definitely will still keep building but I am happy to do both building and ARTFs as long as the quality is high enough. By the way Peter I would like to thank you for your excellent books on building which have given me a lot of tips!

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 27/12/2017 09:45:50

I suppose I've put together a dozen or so ARTFs over the years and without exception, they've all needed modification or improvement in one way or another. Broadly speaking, it's usually issues with poor quality mechanical retracts and associated mechanism, poor quality fuel tank, control links that are only fit for the bin, weak fixed undercarriage, very tight and poorly routed control snakes, glass cowls that require an extra internal layer of glass and resin to reinforce the usual paper-thin offering supplied as standard, brittle cyano hinges, tight and/or misaligned wing joiners, covering coming off, firewalls about to fall out etc etc.......no names, no pack drill.

I've spent as much time on the mods to give a safe and reliable model with a couple of ARTFs, than I've spent completing the rest of those builds, so there's usually plenty of scope to get stuck in and learn something for the flyer with no time to build!wink

Advert

I am building a Peter Miller Sky Rover from a plan published in another magazine a few years back. Billed as a plane for rough field use, the construction may be simple but it sure is rugged. It should survive even my 'arrivals'.

The external telescopic struts for the undercarriage add a bit of fun to the build as well. Nice plane Peter and thanks for publishing that one.

Pete.

Thanks for the tip Peter. I can see why thread lock might be a good idea on this model. The way I land, it will be a must have!

It may be a little while before it is finished, but I'll post some pictures come the day.

Oh....and I've bled on it as well.  frown

Edited By Broken Prop on 28/12/2017 15:46:24

Certainly not a dying art for me,

When it comes to planes, The Traditional method of building with balsa either from a plan or a kit is the only way I've ever done them. I've even designed a small number of planes back in the 1980's. That was the time when I would actually draw my own plans and have them dyeline printed.

This one might actually see the light of day this year as I fancy having something to chuck off the Great Orme. I can't really do that with my Helis. I will probably do a slight mod on this one now to make it 3 channel, easy enough to do.

You can see the date I designed this in the pics.

Mark

dscf1472.jpg dscf1473.jpg

Very late in on this one. Designing and building have always been my thing from my earliest years, (age 13). Now getting rather elderly, I still get a buzz from laying out a clean sheet of paper, and working out how to create a new model. February's RCM&E has my Mignon, very simple, but fun to create and build. If I'm honest, the build is the best part, getting the lines on paper to become a 3D object. Once built and flown a few times the urge to do it again re-emerges. In short, I suspect I find design and build more fun than flying the result. The latest model just begun is a twin electric DH84 Dragon. The wing components are made, and a build blog follows. It will be a classic balsa and ply structure - I've tried depron, but it's not for me.

CR

image.jpegimage.jpegThat's some project Robert, rather more complicated than my DH84. I too have been pondering biplane wing attachments as I want to avoid a 20 minute rigging period when I get to the field. I designed/built a DH60 Gypsy Moth some years ago and managed a system where the wings were permanently rigged in pairs and plugged in to the fuselage. Worked fine, and I'm going to try it again.

Should be obvios why I' chose this Dragon.Edited By Chris Reid on 29/12/2017 13:39:24

Edited By Chris Reid on 29/12/2017 13:40:07

Edited By Chris Reid on 29/12/2017 13:42:02

Hi Chris,

I love your DH84, I don't think I've got around the rigging time but it is only six bolts or at least that's the plan.

By the way the wingspan of the Dornier will be 72" and powered by electric motors although I have drawn up a wing for three .15's!!! which was my original intention, but I have gone for electric power plant to be confirmed.

dsc02213.jpg

Here's what I came up with, though it does not give too much away in the way of detail

Regards

Robert

Your preliminary drawings are rather more detailed than mine Robert. I tend to do just the basics and let the build process create the detail. If David Ashby likes the design, I draw up a detailed plan from the basics and the model. DA is interested in the Dragon so I will write a build plan and take photos as I go, and I'll do a build blog here as I did for my Vickers 151. The Dragon will be 58" span with two 28mm brushless motors cabable of 350W each. Should be enough.

Happy New Year.

Chris.

Although more difficult, building models and cooking is always more satisfying than buying ready to use stuff. And you're learning a lot through that!

Sadly it just isn't the trend of this time. There is not so much money earned for big companies, when people are doing things on their own.

But there are still many active modelers and it's interesting to see, that self built models get more attention in German magazines again. The sad story here is, that it's either a very simple or a very big and expensive model. So it's up to us, to keep the interest for building models awake and alive.

Timo

hi all, I came into this hobby about 7yrs ago I bought myself a hobbyzone supercub rtf I took it to a field where I know no one goes. I flew it there many times then decided to join my local club which by then I was hooked. I have been flying foamies with good success so I thought I would have ago at building a plane myself from plans. so I chose a 3 channel high wing plane [this year] what was relatively easy as I did not want a plane that half way through the build I would get utterly stuck with and decide not to carry on. as I knew it would put me off of building any more. so I found this 3 channel plane I built it and flew it it went really well so then I decided to build another plane which is a 4 channel sport plane I have just finished the airframe.at the same time I have built the mini blitz I am well and truly hooked on this balsa building stuff I am looking forward to building bigger planes I have learnt a lot off this forum.my favourite plane now is the one i built from plans even tho it is only a basic 3 channel high wing plane i plan to keep building for along time to come..........Dan

• 3 months later...

hi I started building and flying large scale gliders about 4 years ago. because of the very hi cost of 1/4 and 1/3 scale gliders can be in the 1000s of £ I started to build them my self from epoxy and glass carbon as I built sailboard in the 1990s so the skills are nearly the same. carve the fuz out of foam then glass it. so far I have made 8 from 4 meters to 6 meters . so i am one for building.

Posted by Roo Hawkins on 18/04/2018 16:02:32:

hi I started building and flying large scale gliders about 4 years ago. because of the very hi cost of 1/4 and 1/3 scale gliders can be in the 1000s of £ I started to build them my self from epoxy and glass carbon as I built sailboard in the 1990s so the skills are nearly the same. carve the fuz out of foam then glass it. so far I have made 8 from 4 meters to 6 meters . so i am one for building.

Sounds good, I like gliders. How about some pics.