Is traditional building a disappearing art?

ChrisB

No issues from me. Don't worry. Just if we could do this I would be happy to pay a small fee. I'm just concious thatsome businesses pay to advertise and we should be respectful of this. I'm not a paying advertiser but I would be happy to subscribe to such a directory. Sorry if there was any confusion it was not intentional.

• 7 months later...
Advert

Some of us (quite a lot of us judjing by the forum) build because we like building, the act of creating something with our own hands.

If we couldn't fly we would be building something else from basic materials or kits (NOT Plastic)

Man has always made things. Sometimes from necessity but also for pleasure.

Those who do not have the desire to make something are to be pitied

I think the title of this thread might be a tad misleading. Don't forget, that before mass produced, cheap far eastern ARTFs, if you wanted to fly then you had to build whether you liked it or not (you could buy ready built second hand, of course). Building was viewed as an integral part of the modelling and learning to fly process.

ARTFs swept all that away and got many people in the air for the first time with a model that was more or less guaranteed to fly - whether they continued in the hobby/sport depended on their on-going interest developing, and did not neccessarily depend on whether they'd built or assembled their model. Naturally, not crashing too often is a big help!

With the exception of trainers, I notice that some ARTFs that might be considered as good second or third models and the more scale looking types, have become very much more expensive and therefore are encouraging people to build again, and look to having a model that is more individual in appearance. In the two clubs that I belong to, this seems to be the way things are going and hopefully, how the hobby will recover, although probably to nowhere near how things were in the past.

Bring a kit or plan built model to the field and people want to know all the ins and outs of it, most ARTFs don't warrant a second glance unless they are really exceptional and expensive. There are many builders out there, both old hands and newcomers, who are producing fine models that are never seen by anyone other than their club mates (several my flying buddies build to a standard that is equal to anything that you'd see in scale comps, but do it simply for their own enjoyment).

I'm glad that RCM&E still produces free plans (fewer odd-ball designs please wink) and often covers building matters in quite some depth; the photography of many superb scale models taken from around the UK show circuit is inspiring and certainly pushes a not particularly gifted balsa basher like me, on to better things.

Merry Christmas everyone, time to clear the building bench for next year.

Edited By Cuban8 on 24/12/2017 11:08:25

Posted by Pete Willbourn on 20/12/2017 14:48:25:

Ratty 018A good while I showed you some photos of what my mate is building "

well here is an update ! Just enjoy !Ratty 017

Hi Pete, TP certainly knows how to build a model! Do you ever hear from him these days?

Happy Christmas

CB

I would love to build from kits but find most of them out of my price range. Even scratch building is very hard for me to do as even raw materials are expensive these days. I could buy more with just pocket money than I can these days on my pension. I have to buy just a little at a time.until I have enough to at least make a start on a model.

Simon

The point is that you are building, cutting parts out and assembling them. The material doesn't matter, it is the creative act that does.

I have even designed and built a model in Correx, the stuff that estate agents make For Sale notices out of. It works and is totally indestructible. Cheap too!!

I have done quite a lot of solid modelling in balsa and lime woods.

pc260450.jpg

My son must want me to continue traditional building as he has given me a 16" span kitset of a Spitfire. I do build my planes from plans and this Guillows kit is the first laser cutting I have handled. Pretty amazing. I have a 56"sportster to cover when things settle down after Christmas and also a Can Doo to fit the hardware into, so this model will be a bit of a change. I have built rubber models before but not quite this small. Will have to see if I can get some coloured tissue from one of the free flighters in our club. They would make up the majority of scratch builders in it - there is a strong Tomboy contingent with regular competitions.

I certainly enjoy building as much as flying but the truth is that many people just don’t have the time or facilities. I was lucky enough to have been instructed quite early on in basic building skills( house building! Rather than models) plus I have a small workshop . As a kid I started with Keil kraft control line planes and then started RC powerboats because 2 channel RC equipment was all I could afford in those days. Most boats I built were wooden but soon that changed to fibreglass hulls and wooden superstructure. All good RC boats are built and there are there is very little else apart from fully built models which are usually very mild in terms of performance and quality. I always wanted to fly rc planes and I got the bug again around 7 yrs ago after playing with my kids toy helicopters. After flying a number of small Helis I was keen to start planes and the bug re-started. ARTFs can be the “lazy way “ of flying if all people do is just slot them together, but they can also be very good when augmented, and I love modifying them to improve their performance . I still buy them and intend to keep doing so, as well as building as time for me is also limited. I definitely will still keep building but I am happy to do both building and ARTFs as long as the quality is high enough. By the way Peter I would like to thank you for your excellent books on building which have given me a lot of tips! 

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 27/12/2017 09:45:17

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 27/12/2017 09:45:50