250gm Outdoor

XK50

A limit of 250gm, before State regulation kicks in, seems to be gathering traction, worldwide. For me, at least, making and flying stuff without additional bureaucracy would be very attractive, but just what can be done with 250gm?

I am aware of the indoor stuff (and particularly impressed by indoor scale) but for the average UK power and slope flier? Would unregulated outdoor flight just get blown away?

Ideas and pictures would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

John

Advert

the weather we have in the north east of the uk...is windy most times.....10 oz models will be a waste of time unless early morning/late at night when the wind has died down....hope they don't bring the reg in....if they do it will be the end of most peoples model collection......will the for sale add's be able to cope...

ken Anderson...ne...1...... 250gm dept

Edited By ken anderson. on 16/04/2017 11:06:16

Thanks, Gonzo. It shows what can be done. In fact, I do have an old Cox PeeWee, somewhere, but remember it as a high-pitched "screamer" that is bound to upset somebody!

However, I need to clear up a misunderstanding. From what I read, I don't think anyone (where it has been implemented) has sought to ban models above 250gm. It's just that such models can incur (again, where implemented) additional regulation and/or paperwork. Maybe, it's just an anarchic streak in me that is seeking ways to avoid all that ...... SHOULD it, ever, be implemented, closer to home.

Don't panic, just yet.

John

I'm in agreement with Steve - we shouldn't over react to a move that is yet to happen and even if it does, the CAA have a good track record of recognising that the model flying hobby is generally well organised and applying legislation in a sensible way.

However, DickW might be along in a while to give some details of his Dereck Woodward designed Tiny Bit - this 89g AUW model handles winds that ground 90% of our club membership (Dick's flying skills contributing strongly, of course) and never fails to impress.

Posted by Martin Harris on 16/04/2017 13:08:45:

However, DickW might be along in a while to give some details of his Dereck Woodward designed Tiny Bit - this 89g AUW model handles winds that ground 90% of our club membership and never fails to impress.

As Martin says I don’t think we need worry too much about a 250gm limit, but if it did come to pass then it is still possible to have a lot of fun with small models outdoors even in a wind. As soon as I saw a Tiny Bit being flown I knew I had to have one. The plans can be downloaded from the OuterZone website, and I built the airframe entirely from bits I had in my scrap-box.

The all up ready to fly weight is indeed 89gm for this 20 inch span wing, and a 2s 300mAh battery gives 5 minutes of fully aerobatic flight (the same batteries I use for the Rx pack in my F5B gliders). It doesn’t have a rudder so no knife edge, but everything else seems possible – loops, bunts, rolling circle, vertical eights, and remarkable turn of speed.

If they do bring in a 250gm limit I might scale the Tiny Bit up smiley.

Dick

tiny bit.jpg

t with Posted by XK50 on 16/04/2017 09:54:46:

A limit of 250gm, before State regulation kicks in, seems to be gathering traction, worldwide. For me, at least, making and flying stuff without additional bureaucracy would be very attractive, but just what can be done with 250gm?

I am aware of the indoor stuff (and particularly impressed by indoor scale) but for the average UK power and slope flier? Would unregulated outdoor flight just get blown away?

Ideas and pictures would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

John

I'm not sure where you got this info from, I think this was all delt with months ago. Read info supplied by BMFA.

Rumour or not, some people are getting into 250gm models with consderable enthusiasm. It seems the germans are planning a sub 250gm speed class for this year - see one potential entrant in this link:-

**Link**

Looks like fun, and probably a lot faster than my Tiny Bit.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 16/04/2017 18:12:24

Edited By Dickw on 16/04/2017 18:15:50

Thank you for your input and enthusiasm, Dick. It is most welcome.

That linked T-tail is a real beaut, even if its "port and starboard" colour scheme might be a bit confused.

It's related thread makes very interesting reading, too. 300+mph! Not quite what those foreign safety regulators had in mind, I'm sure.

So, it can be done!

Regards,

John