Mills 75

Ernie

Advert

They appear regularly on ebay and tend to go for around £70...... This one is currently on offer, it is not a particularly good one as the tank and original spinner nut are missing........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mills-P75-Vintage-Model-Diesel-Engine-/152514832286?hash=item238297a79e:g:JPkAAOSw3ZRY9TXh

Paul

Paul and Denis Thanks for that........I'm a big bike racing fan, and the Giro d'Italia starts early May. The afficionados among you will understand that it lasts for three weeks, so a lot of time in front of the tele.

I'm getting there,....... So that all that time is not totally wasted, I like to have a wee project that I can build on a board on my knee

Aeons ago, I was a huge keil kraft fan,so for a wee nostalgia trip, I thought i'd build a Slicker Mite from a set of laser cut bits. The span is 32 inches, but I can't find a weight. The recommended power plant is a mills 75, hence the queries

I do like these tiny models, they certainly demand quite a bit of skill to build, especially saving weignt, and getting a half decent finish

ernie

The Mills 75 power varied between quite a lot between individual engines, you could reckon on around .06 bhp @ 11,000 rpm as about average. However rpm would be with a 6" prop whereas mostly a 7" would be used, dropping the rpm to 9 - 10,000 & the power to around .05 bhp.
In electric terms that between 37W & 45W. Forget about the 100W/lb "rule" that should be plenty of power for a Slicker Mite. I've flown a vintage APS Frankenstien design using a brushed motor with 9.6v nimhs @ 30W/lb & still been able to do loops & rolls with a Flycam2 attached.

I used a Mills p75 in a Vic Smeed Mamselle with two channel radio and that had plenty of power and had to be de-compressed or it was too fast. Indian copies can vary enormously and a few just wont start. so beware of any "as new " examples . The Irvine Mills is a far more powerful engine and is heavier.

When I started I am sure a recommended prop size for the Mills .75 was 8x4. That is what I used and the engine swung it no problem. Easier starting than a 7x4 as well, not that a Mills was ever hard to start! I seem to remember reading somewhere that engine tests on original Mills engines gave peak power readings between 0.47 and over 0.07 bhp! Whatever, they always gave enough.

I remember that article and it's probably the one that initiated the comments I made in my previous post about varying power outputs. As well as a genuine original .75 fitted in a Doug McHard "Wee Snifter"' I have an Indian version that I'm not very impressed with. I have an Irvine built 1.3 and an Indian 1.3, neither of which I have run yet. I've got a beautiful .4 version of the .75, earmarked for a particular project and one of the Boddington Mills twins made by CS. I had a disaster with that, causing the rear con-rod to bend. I have a replacement rod, but haven't got round to fitting it yet. I will one day. You might gather that the first .75 I bought for five shillings in around 1960 made a big impression. It was battered and the mounting lug on one side of the crankcase was bust, but it ran like a dream. I wish that I hadn't eventually given it to someone I can't remember now.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that the Mills 75 was at the time the "slow fly" of diesels.

Nobody bought it for its power output (you would get an AM 10 for that!) but it could turn big props (8x4 or 7x6) relatively slowly the resulting gain in propulsive efficiency off setting its modest output.

On this basis a 120W 1500kV out runner on a 3s would easily match a Mills 75 even taking into account the weight of the LiPo.

There is no substitute for the smell of diesel fuel and castor oil all over your model, I'm afraid leccy just isn't the same....... I suppose it depends on why you want to build your Slicker Mite, you pays your money and you takes your choice but if you want the "full experience" it simply has to be a Mills. wink

Paul

Good morning

It still seems like a good idea, and I certainly need a giro project, but on profound reflection, The wee slicker was designed to go skywards like a bat out of the hot place, and glide down ever so gently.

Not the ideal sports model, but I do like the kinky outline

Pause for profound thought

ernie

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 20/04/2017 01:26:29:

It is perhaps worth mentioning that the Mills 75 was at the time the "slow fly" of diesels.

Nobody bought it for its power output (you would get an AM 10 for that!) but it could turn big props (8x4 or 7x6) relatively slowly the resulting gain in propulsive efficiency off setting its modest output.

On this basis a 120W 1500kV out runner on a 3s would easily match a Mills 75 even taking into account the weight of the LiPo.

Simon,

120W is about the power of an AM15, the Mills would be putting out around 1/3 of that on a 7x4 which is probably the best match prop size to give the Slicker Mite a fast climb.

Posted by Ernie on 20/04/2017 08:25:52:

Good morning

It still seems like a good idea, and I certainly need a giro project, but on profound reflection, The wee slicker was designed to go skywards like a bat out of the hot place, and glide down ever so gently.

Not the ideal sports model, but I do like the kinky outline

Pause for profound thought

ernie

Ernie,
I think the climb from launch would have been fairly fast but in relative terms nothing like a modern FF duration power model or even what we've come to expect from most modern E-gliders. wink 2

BTW the Mite pre-dates the Mills .75 the plan shows an Amco .87 which was about the same power.
Dunno how you were supposed to adjust the compression in the limited space under the wing/pylon LE. surprise