hope I am in the right forum , I purchased a kit The Answer from Haydock and as a newbie have a question . The wing is in two halves and is glued with a dihedral of 3.5 in either side , the plan shows fibreglass tape on both sides of wing as re-in forcement I am not sure what to stick it on with. I glued the wing with epoxy and wondered if I should do the same tape and do you epoxy both sides of the tape or use another type of glue ?

Brian (first time builder)

Advert

Posted by Dave from the future on 20/04/2017 21:00:36:

I would just use PVA wood glue to stick the fibreglass tape on. I'm refurbishing a kit I built in the 80's with the wings joined like that, needed to remove some of the tape to fit a servo in and I can hardly shift it it's stuck that well!

Brian, I agree with Dave!

This a lightweight, vintage floater - not designed for aerobatics or high-G manoeuvres. My own Answer has been the subject of a published project in RCM+E, and the wing is reinforced using the supplied tape and (in my case) yellow aliphatic wood glue.

Tim

Agree with Dave & Tim.
Whilst I haven't built the Answer but have joined wings using bandage type gauze with PVA & using gf tape with PVA no problems with either.

If you download the plan from this link there's a zipped file of the plan in .pdf format & also a .pdf of the original magazine article from 1940 with build instructions - no gf tape or PVA back then but gauze & balsa cement is mentioned.

I agree with Dave, Tim and Pat and would go further and suggest that you use a water-based glue, PVA or aliphatic, for the rest of the build. In your original post you said that you "glued the wing with epoxy." By this did you mean that you built the entire wing using epoxy or did you just use epoxy to join the wing-halves together? If you used epoxy for all of the joints you will have added extra weight to the model unnecessarily. However, I'm sure it will still fly well! I once had the larger Super Scorpion which flew nicely.

For a first time build you've selected quite a complex model but you'll be rewarded with one which you do not see every day. smiley.

Thanks for all the replies , aliphatic it is then . I only epoxied the wings together and aliphatic everywhere else . It a bit of a steep re-learning curve after about 45+ years and then it all balsa glue and control lines for me. I did a double take when reading about throwing it in the bath before pinning it on the jig but it worked a treat . The fuselage looks a little complicated on the plan but I expect it will come together when I start it but for now i will just admire the wings for a while and wait for nice days to go for flying lessons at the club .

Cheers all

Brian , you could also try some modern "plastic" scrim from B&Q . It's about 4 inches wide and used for covering the gaps between plaster boards before plastering .You could then cut it in diagonal strips .Lay them across the area to be joined ,it's a bit sticky and will stay where it's put , and then flood it with PVA . Do this on the top and the bottom of the joint As the scrim is a rectangular mesh the finished job should be showing a diagonal pattern .

Hope this helps .

Hi guys

just an update , put on strip flooded with aliphatic and smoothed it down and left to dry overnight , next day success but the tape is about 5 mm off centre as it dried , can I move it ? not likely its there for the duration , in fact if I crash it (and I will) I suspect the wing will disintegrate but the join will still be intact ! I will cover in Solite and hope for the best.

Thanks again for help and if I am really stuck I bet that nice Tim Hooper will help.

What an interesting article about constructing "The Answer" and what a terrific looking model.

I was really taken with building it after a layoff of about 60years but when I mentioned this to a real aficionada of R/C flying he told me that if I was interested he had a boxed kit of a Super Scorpion at 66"span. The plan by Ben Buckle has a few notes on it but I would hardly call them building instructions! As I'm basically new to this game so Tim Hooper's article on the "Answer" was helpful together with the later one on covering.

I've built the tailplane, fin and elevator first (the smallest components of the build) to get me back into the swing of cutting and gluing balsa accurately. That all went ok, so I've built the port side of the fuslage below the cabin area.

I think as it's my first build in over 60 years the best way is to really study the plan and give it some thought on how to proceed before dashing in and slashing away with the scalpel!

So thanks Tim and RCM&E. I've subscribed to the mag today and look forward to my sealing iron, compliments of the mag arriving in time for the covering job. That should be fun...never used film before!

• 1 month later...

The "Answer" is great flyer. I built one years ago ad had lots of fun with it. I believe its based on a contest winning model from the USA . I can remember joining the wings with glass tape though ? Its not an aerobatic model so shouldn't need it . It did have decent ply dihedral braces though . Soaking the wings in water before building did seem odd at the time but it worked well. I made the mistake of covering mine in "Fiber Film" its horrible stuff and should have used "litespan" . Good luck with the Answer , enjoy.

Clive when you build your Super Scorpion make sure that the dihedral braces are proper aircraft grade ply. Some kits were supplied with rubbish ply braces and the wing folded even in gentle flight. 

Edited By Engine Doctor on 22/06/2017 08:32:57