Re: Peter Miller's Don't Bin It, Fix It Article

Nightflyer

Advert

A kind offer Phil, but as you may have realised I have still to fly the Super Air and have not touched the Fun Fly yet. The third repairable plane you gave me I gave to a Bartons Point club member and he completed the repair and has flown the plane.

I am not sure how my wife would react if I bought another damaged plane home so I may need to adopt a sneaky plan. I know someone who now lives in Rustington, is that near you?

I gather the Challenger has flown six times today and has handled stunts particularly well.

• 1 year later...

Following a few successful flights on my new Wot4 ARTF, I managed to get it airborne with my transmitter incorrectly set up. The resulting flight, whilst short, was very exciting (for me) / amusing (for my clubmates) and ended with the 'plane impacting hard from about 50 ft , wiping out everything on the port side back to the back of the wing seat along with most of the formers and the flight battery tray. Oh and the undercart was bent back by about 60 degrees on the port side.

The only good things were that I had managed to stay within the confines of the field, so no 3rd party damage and the cowl was more or less undamaged.

My first reaction was to bin it and I started to strip it, throwing the broken bits in the bin as I went along. I then realised 1. I couldn't afford a new one and 2. Maybe it could be rebuilt after all!

So I went through the bin and salvaged any bits that could be re-used either repaired or as a template for a new part, at least after I washed off last nights curry (yes really)face 18

Sorry, I didn't think to do any 'before' pictures as I was a bit grumpy at the time, but below should be a couple of pictures of the repaired airframe. Or not, as I can't find them in the album I created.angry Hopefully, I'll be back in time to edit the post and add them..................

tbc

I'm back, here are the photos

dsc_0224.jpg

dsc_0226.jpg

The second picture shows the only outward sign of the repair where I've added a triangular fillet between the tailplane and fuselage, as the original glue joint had failed here.

The weight has gone up by about 4 oz. mainly due to me fitting a 6v 2300 battery pack rather than relying on the bec in the speed controller. Ready for flight with a 2800 6s flight pack it now weights a smidge over 6lb, so a bit lardy. This is mainly due to my using a motor I had 'in stock' rather than buying a new one.

Anyway, re-maiden soon when I can get up to the field (looks to be a bit windy over the weekend).

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 27/07/2018 14:51:45

"Repairs are always cheaper than a new one"

Yes but it rather depends on how much it cost in the first place and how you value your time!

Nevertheless

My Depron 3/4 size 'agricultural' Ballerina modified with its out runner buried within a 9 cylinder printed radial.

06 May 18

06 May18

The result after a 'cartwheel' resulting from a last minute go round having decided it was not going to stop quite as close to me as I wanted - doh! 18 Jul 18

18 Jul 18

But the following day.

19 Jul18

Notice the difference in the front lawn!